Question: Owning a 4X2 Jeep; An Oxymoron? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question: Owning a 4X2 Jeep; An Oxymoron?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
The MK's are not Jeeps…They are tall-body cars…And 4wd isn't going to do you much good in anything but rain if your vehicle is only 6 inches off the ground…
So much for your facts. Count this as your second warning. The third time's a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
FYI Grumps
And name calling doesn't help you either.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Jeep should offer 4x2 models of the Compass, Patriot, Liberty and even the Commander and Cherokee. What I do not like is a 4x2 Wrangler model. That is where I wonder "what's the point?" This came up in the JK forum and I am afraid of engineering compromises to offer a 2WD Wrangler since both models would be built on the same frame.

And, yes, you are all real Jeeps...just not real Wranglers. But then again, neither is a 2WD JK
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #18
RAMBOY

If Jeep doesn't continue to make 4x2s, then Chrysler or Dodge better step up and make smaller SUVs similiar to the Patriot, especially in price.

I believe Dodge already does that. It's called the Caliber.
RAMBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Jeep had a better year last year than any of the other divisions. Just maybe they did something right? Staying in business with 2WD stuff to supplement the Wranglers and others is just good business practice. If people didn't want them, they wouldn't buy them.

The Caliber is also offered in an AWD version but they only predicted that it would count for about 10% of the total sales. The MK's do have more advanced electronics than anything offered with the Caliber.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #20
Jeepster55

.....and to expand on that thought, the Caliber IS more of a 'car' than an SUV, just as the Magnum.

as for smaller SUV's, Dodge has the new Journey coming out soon that, i believe, is based on the 'JS' platform (Sebring/Avenger) and will have the 2.4L as standard with the 3.5L as an option. while it's suppose to be a 'smaller' SUV, it's still LARGER than the Compass and Patriot. and like the MK's, it will be FWD with a AWD/4X4 model available.

i, for one, LIKE the size of my Compass and, until it does something to make me feel otherwise, will continue to enjoy driving it to and from work.....the reason i purchased it in the first place!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #21
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We (my husband and I) bought Patriots because in our opinion you couldn't touch the any other vehicle out there for the price we paid for our Pats. They were (and still are) the best bang for the buck, in terms of features, safety, warrentee, and comfort. We were able to shop our local dealers, and buy the model we wanted right off the lot. The dealerships (we bought from 2 different dealers) were great-not snobbish like foreign dealerships (Nissan) we experienced in the past.

If Jeep hadn't had the Patriot/Compass line in place, we would have probably bought a Suzuki SX4. We test drove one, and it was fun to drive, but it didn't have enough growth room for our family. Now with the economy and the falling value of the dollar, even the Suzuki is getting more expensive and out of reach. In a way, that's good, because it encourages people to buy American. I've long been a supporter of keeping our people working by voting with your wallet. I bought foreign last time, and was sorely dissappointed. Never again! It's all American now, baby

BTW-I saw a nice red Patriot Limited in town yesterday! It put a great big smile on my face . Glad others are coming over to the MK side!

Woo hoo!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
madrabbitt

hey, i call you grumps all the time.

lol. shouldnt point that out.

I think how you equip your car comes down to:
1. needs
2. wants
3. budget.
I realize the last two should be opposite order, but admit it, usually what you want wins out over what you should spend.

My company is going to buy a car in the near future for a company daily driver (which pretty much translates into "my daily driver")

A 2wd patriot is the second choice (behind a chevy... shh) for what we're looking at... We dont NEED 4x4 on this daily driver... we have 2 4x4 cherokees and a 4x4 f-250 at our disposal for the 20% of jobs that require 4 wheel drive

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #23
ajkst1
2007 MK Compass 

This is a very simple answer: because it's what i wanted.

I drive on the highway to and from work. It gets great gas mileage, drives like a car, but gives me the functionality of an SUV (full open tailgate, fold down seats, higher viewing, etc.). I also work in a "not entirely paved" enviroment and it does a great job with the "muck" I deal with. I felt the 4WD option was not worth the $1300+ (ish...I can't remember the exact amount) difference for as little as I would probably use it. I live in an area with a far share of snow, and I see too many drivers get a 4x4 SUV and think they're invincible. I grew up in the Snow Belt and learned how to drive in the snow in a 2WD Chevy Beretta. You don't need 4WD or AWD to drive in some snow.

I'll take the beatings saying that it's not a real Jeep, but doesn't that defeat the "being a Jeep owner" pride? I know a bunch of people (my mom in particular) that bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4x4 option. She's used it once. She's scared to drive when it rains, let alone taking it off into the woods and climbing over stuff. It's all in how YOU are going to use the vehicle. Would I love to go off roading in a CJ? Hell yeah! Does having that car work for me economically? Not so much.

Jeep Compass/Patriot owners, stand up and be proud. You're just as much a Jeep owner as anyone else in here. If it weren't a Jeep, it would say something else on the hood!

ajkst1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #24
Hunter6462
2007 MK Compass 

4x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
ok, i've taken heat from many people on this site for purchasing a Compass Sport 4X4. from the diehard CJ/YJ and Wrangler owners to Liberty and yes, even PATRIOT 4X2 owners. it's been said it's either a 'car' and not a 'Jeep' OR because it doesn't look like the typical Jeep, then it's not a real Jeep.

so, i ask all of you '4X2 Jeep' owners (Patriots and otherwise).....WHY 4x2? doesn't that defeat the purpose of OWNING a Jeep?

inquiring minds want to know.....
I bought a 4X2 compass and with the FWD, in the snow I have no problem.
So far I'm happy
Hunter6462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #25
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i bought a 4x2 for several reasons

1. its a lease, and its a new car, I'm not going off roading in a new car. I don't have he funds to fix a new car if it brakes (mechanical or cosmetic) because of my own fault
2. I live in FL. unless I want to recreational go off road, I don't need AWD
3. I already have a 4x4 that I plan on keeping
4. better mileage
5. less things for it to brake
6. its cheaper to buy, so it gives me options to buy other things that I might use on daily basis (for example, the GPS... I love that thing! or the sunroof... I open it whenever I can)

now you ask why buy a jeep... (that explained why 4x2 instead of 4x4)

1. I like the 'riot! I think its a cool looking car, everyone who has driven in it loved it!
2. I have family overseas, and when they come, they come in packs lol. I needed something that was comfortable to 4-5 people. Also need to carry their cargo
3. I liked the fact that the front seat goes down
4. inside the car is very comfortable! it feels like i'm in a much bigger car
5. good mileage (with 400 miles on the odo, i'm getting like 23c/27h)
6. I got a good deal on it I think
7. its enjoyable to drive

now you might ask why I got a patriot opposed to other cars

1. I don't want a station wagon
2. I don't want a soccer mom van
3. I like trucks, but I'd like one in the future of my life
4. I do love sports cars (or just a basic sedan, like a audi a4 or golf), but I don't want something I can speed in lol. plus they don't have the passenger/cargo capability I needed.
5. after I got my XJ, i fell in love with jeeps, and I had to get another one! lol
6. its able to drive over curbs as sometimes I might need to do that because in miami, you just might need to do that to pass someone who is trying to go straight on a turning lane (and its a light, so he jammed the right turning lane), and I get road rage and need to cut them off through the curb lol

I think this explains it ALL

I did look at golf, a4, and volvo s40... problem is, fully loaded, it was way more than the patriot.

Last edited by taseal; 02-11-2008 at 08:33 PM..
taseal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #26
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
unfortunately some of the Jeep "diehards" (mainly CJ, YJ and TJ owners it seems) beg to differ.
all I can say to them is

Unread 02-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #27
ARONO 129

I bought a Compass 4x4 because I live in Winnipeg. The winter capital of Canada. It can easily go down to -40 C here and we get lots of snow in the winter. I need a vehicle that is reliable and can get through a snowstorm. I got tired of driving on roads that are like a skating rink, hoping I wouldn't slide through a stop sign, red light, or into the back of another car.

IMHO no matter what kind of Jeep a person owns, you a Jeep owner. Just enjoy the ride.
ARONO 129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #28
JillTheThrill
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Not everybody NEEDS 4X4 but many want the extra ride height of the MK's, ESP and other features that, price wise, fall more with in the budget than many of it's competitors do. They are all Jeeps, it's up to the owner to USE it as a car, truck, SUV, off-roader or whatever. In some ways it's close to being a blank canvas, it's up to you to paint the picture.

What was the point of the Willys Wagon, Jeepster and many of the Cherokees that were delivered as 2 WD? It suited someones purpose.
DITTO!!!!
Unread 01-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #29
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARONO 129 View Post
I bought a Compass 4x4 because I live in Winnipeg. The winter capital of Canada. It can easily go down to -40 C here and we get lots of snow in the winter. I need a vehicle that is reliable and can get through a snowstorm. I got tired of driving on roads that are like a skating rink, hoping I wouldn't slide through a stop sign, red light, or into the back of another car.

IMHO no matter what kind of Jeep a person owns, you a Jeep owner. Just enjoy the ride.
x2 ...thousand!

I'd love to go on yet another rant about those who whine about Compass and Patriot and compare it to other Jeeps. ...But, rules are rules.

Read my blog that I posted in Jeepspace. The link is to the left and under my username. There you'll see my full explanation of why I chose vehicle.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #30
OxyG3nE

i bought a 4x4 cuz we can get 2-3-4 meter of snow sometime here in winteer.. and its doing very great in 2 feet of snow.. never been stuck yet... but i have to say now im at 4500 km and and its not feel efficient.. it cost as much as my f150 4x4 that my friend own..
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.