Question: Owning a 4X2 Jeep; An Oxymoron? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question: Owning a 4X2 Jeep; An Oxymoron?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Jeepster55
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 446
Question: Owning a 4X2 Jeep; An Oxymoron?

ok, i've taken heat from many people on this site for purchasing a Compass Sport 4X4. from the diehard CJ/YJ and Wrangler owners to Liberty and yes, even PATRIOT 4X2 owners. it's been said it's either a 'car' and not a 'Jeep' OR because it doesn't look like the typical Jeep, then it's not a real Jeep.

so, i ask all of you '4X2 Jeep' owners (Patriots and otherwise).....WHY 4x2? doesn't that defeat the purpose of OWNING a Jeep?

inquiring minds want to know.....

Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Lostj
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55
ok, i've taken heat from many people on this site for purchasing a Compass Sport 4X4. from the diehard CJ/YJ and Wrangler owners to Liberty and yes, even PATRIOT 4X2 owners. it's been said it's either a 'car' and not a 'Jeep' OR because it doesn't look like the typical Jeep, then it's not a real Jeep.

so, i ask all of you '4X2 Jeep' owners (Patriots and otherwise).....WHY 4x2? doesn't that defeat the purpose of OWNING a Jeep?

inquiring minds want to know.....

like its been said 54281 times: not everybody buys a Jeep for offroading.
__________________
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Jeepster55
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostj
like its been said 54281 times: not everybody buys a Jeep for offroading.
\

not saying you have to take it 'off road'. i don't, but if' i'm buying a JEEP, it had better be FOUR WHEEL DRIVE....otherwise, what's the point?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,623
Not everybody NEEDS 4X4 but many want the extra ride height of the MK's, ESP and other features that, price wise, fall more with in the budget than many of it's competitors do. They are all Jeeps, it's up to the owner to USE it as a car, truck, SUV, off-roader or whatever. In some ways it's close to being a blank canvas, it's up to you to paint the picture.

What was the point of the Willys Wagon, Jeepster and many of the Cherokees that were delivered as 2 WD? It suited someones purpose.
__________________
Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Laloggia
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 136
I have a 4x2 and i love it. I had many problems with Wrangler and Cherokee transfer cases leaking and/or breaking. This is big bucks!!!! I decided to go with the 4x2 because i don't need any extra headaches in the future.

We get some snow here but not enough for me to justify it. I also have the Goodyear Wrangler A/T tires on it (nice factory option), which grip nicely in the snow. With ESP and traction control, its awesome in the snow! I really think the tires make a huge difference too.

Bottom line....I don't need 4WD for a jeep i go back and forth to work in. Its not practical for my specific needs.
__________________
2010 Wrangler Islander
2005 Chrysler Crossfire
2010 Honda Crosstour
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
unibus
Registered User
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 90
I bought my Compass 4x2 due to the fact that it's features matched what I was looking for. I do not require a 4x4 so there's no point for me to purchase one. The fact that it was a jeep didn't enter into the decision, although I have had good luck with chrysler products in the past.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Jeepster55
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 446
you've ALL made very valid points and therefore made MY point. each of you purchased your Compass, Patriot or whatever based on YOUR needs.

i suppose i was just venting because i'm so tired of reading where the Compass isn't a 'real Jeep' or how the 'Jeep Line' is being "watered down" with the addition of it.

even though i'm employed by a Mopar dealer, i buy what i want. i've had Hondas, Toyotas and the like in the 7 years i've been there. when i needed to get out of my 06 Unlimited due to the gas mileage and the lease restrictions, i chose my Compass, NOT because i worked at a Jeep dealer, but because after researching all the others, NOTHING can touch the Compass in regards to features, comfort, options and being a 4X4 for around $20K sticker. NOTHING! i'm not into 0-60 times or how many G's it can pull, OR if i can climb a MOUNTAIN.......i live in Indiana. we have the occasional snow but no MOUNTAINS to climb. i chose to have the security of the 4X4 .

as you have all shown.....we buy our vehicles based on our NEEDS and everyone will have a different opinion on what you should have purchased. but like they say; Opinions are like butt holes.....everyone has one and most of them STINK!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
hunter44102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 97
Along the same lines, I agree and think the Compass and Patriot are some of the most practical vehicles to be produced recently.

The fact that there is a 4x2 option is a good thing by making it flexible for budgets and purposes.

Jeep could have chosen to make 4x4's only, but it would severely limit their growth and would make prices higher because of the economies of scale.
hunter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Jeepster55
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44102
Along the same lines, I agree and think the Compass and Patriot are some of the most practical vehicles to be produced recently.

The fact that there is a 4x2 option is a good thing by making it flexible for budgets and purposes.

Jeep could have chosen to make 4x4's only, but it would severely limit their growth and would make prices higher because of the economies of scale.
ABSOLUTELY! unfortunately some of the Jeep "diehards" (mainly CJ, YJ and TJ owners it seems) beg to differ. as i had pointed out before; my guess it that there wouldn't even be a Jeep line without growth. if they only offered the Wrangler, for instance, the Jeep name would have gone the way of Plymouth, Oldsmobile and probably in the near future, Mercury.

long live Jeep AND the MK's!!!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,623
Let's not turn this in to a flame fest like in the early days when it was just the Compass Forum. Bashing other models and their owners only leads to others putting on a defensive posture and invites them to retaliate and is certainly non-tech. Let's keep the Technical Forums technical or at least MK specific. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/annou....php?f=98&a=29 Whatever you say or do out in the other areas, General Discussion, etc., are at your own risk but don't bring it back in here.

Thanks,
__________________
Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!
 
CoriolisSTORM's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ???, Alabama
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Thanks,
EEK! We've been found! You woke him up from his nap! He's gonna be pissed! Seriously, if the dealer had had a 4x4 5 speed Patriot (OR a 5 speed AWD Caliber which isn't gonna happen) on the lot that I liked, I would've went with it over my FWD Caliber in a heartbeat. A Jeep IS a blank canvas, one person's idea of art/beauty does not necessarily match somebody else's. Too bad people can't understand that. Now if it was a 2x4 Wrangler... I kid I kid!!!
__________________
Quote:
Its like a (silly censor)roach, the Wrangler - you can't kill it And now there's a four door. Joy.
CoriolisSTORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
jjdejesus
Registered User
2008 MK Patriot 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
Posts: 15
Patriot 4x2 Sport. 2.0

Why? I wanted a small SUV, never plan to take it off road, don't have anything to tow, wanted American, wanted good MPG, and didn't want to spend over $20K. Based upon those needs, the Patriot singled itself out. I couldn't find another similar American car that fit the bill.

I think that is a good thing for Jeep. If Jeep only wants to make 4x4, I can understand that from their traditional and 4x4 heritage perspective. Can't understand it financially though. If Jeep doesn't continue to make 4x2s, then Chrysler or Dodge better step up and make smaller SUVs similiar to the Patriot, especially in price.
jjdejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
JeepinGirlCT
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 155
I totally agree-

We bought 2 Patriots-one for myself, one for my husband. The bottom line-it met our needs. I traded out an '05 Xterra and haven't regretted it a bit. We both wanted the best deal for the money and the Patriot was it hands down. You just can't beat how these things drive in the snow!

My mom lives in Maryland and doesn't need 4WD. If she had a little more $ to play with I'd tell her to look into a 4x2 Pat, but she's probably going to look into a used PT Cruiser. It's got the same engine, so it should work out well for her.

Whatever fits the bill best. I agree with Jeepster55-it gets a little tiring wading through all of the MK bashing in other forums.


enough said- have a good evening!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel0129
a used PT Cruiser. It's got the same engine, so it should work out well for her.
Woops! The PT Cruiser/Neon/Mini Van 2.4 PowerTech 4 cyl is not the same as the 2.4 VVT new Word engine.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html
__________________
Bob

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Reswob
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,838
FYI Grumps, slander has to do with making false statements. There's nothing slanderous in stating the fact that the MKs are based off the Dodge Caliber.
__________________
'08 Triumph Bonneville Black ~ Café Racer

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.