Question for CVT owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question for CVT owners

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Question for CVT owners

How many regret having the CVT and not the 5 speed? If you have the AutoStick, do you ever "dial" you own?

I love my CVT with AutoStick! I do play with shifting from time to time just for the fun of it and on snowy/icy hills to hold it in the range that it's in without shifting and maybe starting a slide.

I feel that the sluggishness off the line has to do more with perception than reality but I also feel that the 5 speed is quicker up to about 20 mph because of the lower 1st gear. Still, I'm not burning the quarter mile with it and it's totally tolerable for me. Yes, I ALWAYS want more power, it's that Tim Taylor thing.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
hunter44102

The CVT is great for me because I share the car with my Wife who doesn't drive stick. (I would have gotten the 5 speed if it was just for me)

Our drive into work together sometimes has stop and go, (especially when school season starts), and the CVT is a Joy compared to my 5 speed TJ.

If I drive the Patriot exclusively for a while, I get used to the CVT and have no problems, but if I drive my Wrangler for a couple days and then jump in the Patriot, I feel the performance difference as well as the difference of having more control with a stick.

Our 2007 doesn't have the Auto-stick. If I would have known about the 2008 Autostick and the Lifetime warranty I would have surely waited, but we are so happy with the Patriot that it doesn't matter at all.

Knowing my wife, if we had the auto-stick, she would accidentally bump it and tell me something is wrong with our Jeep, so less is more!
hunter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only problem I have is the hesitation from a stop, which is more the electronic throttle than the CVT. Also hunter44102, I read that the Lifetime Powertrain warranty could be purchased by 07 owners for $750 before September 30th.
Unread 08-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw
Also hunter44102, I read that the Lifetime Powertrain warranty could be purchased by 07 owners for $750 before September 30th.
My dealer said $900 but I haven't gone in to do it yet. Again, it's buy Sept 30th. I like the $750 better!

Have you had a chance to check with the dealer on this TSB ?:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_1803107.pdf

Unread 08-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Hayabusa007

Yes I would wait to get the 5 sp instead of the cvt, if I could do it over. Or at least the Trail Rated CVT, instead of the one I have. To late now! I'm sure not loosing money to trade.
Hayabusa007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa007
Yes I would wait to get the 5 sp instead of the cvt, if I could do it over. Or at least the Trail Rated CVT, instead of the one I have. To late now! I'm sure not loosing money to trade.
So is it just off the line performance? That would be about the only drivability difference between the CVT2 and CVT2L (I've also seen this referred to as the CVT3 in the parts books), OTHER THAN the off road capabilities.

Unread 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I like my CVT in my caliber BUT, if I find a way to put a Compass/Patriot FD 1 unit in my Caliber then I'm going to go 5 speed. Fuel mileage is of the utmost importance to me, so if I can go to AWD/4WD and get better MPG than my 2x4 Auto then I'll do that. Autostick is fun, but I burn up gas way too quickly with it!
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's the final-drive-ratio of the CVT and the 5 speed?

for better around-town mileage, the manual will win, but if the CVT has a higher final-drive, it may be better on the highway.

It's been my experience that you can REALLY beat EPA numbers, if you drive with the intent of saving gas. It's an interesting excersize, and has made "normal" driving fun again.

I'm considering getting a Compass/Patriot. Having an automatic is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $ (and potential loss of MPG).
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The 5 speed is 3.33, CVT is 2.41. But keep in mind that the 5 speed is locked in at 3.33 where the CVT will vary according to terrain to give the most power. More info here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/ratios-cvt2-vs-5-speed-395153/

Unread 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw
The only problem I have is the hesitation from a stop, which is more the electronic throttle than the CVT. Also hunter44102, I read that the Lifetime Powertrain warranty could be purchased by 07 owners for $750 before September 30th.
I've heard this (About the lifetime warranty), but does anyone have a link or a source for this? I want to get it for mine.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxjockey
I've heard this (About the lifetime warranty), but does anyone have a link or a source for this? I want to get it for mine.
http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powe...ranty/faq.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP's website
Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage.
I'd be calling soon.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since this information is important to all Jeep owners we are trying to keep all related info here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f147/ that was created for new corporate info so that each forum would not be posting redundant info.

Please, take a look at the DC Announcements on the home page. There is even a new corporate website

Unread 08-08-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
How many regret having the CVT and not the 5 speed?:

Well my days of stick driving are over, so the question for me would be...
"How many of you regret buying the CVT or another vehicle without it."

Answer: So far so....fine, but true verdict is still out.

At times it reacts so strangely it makes fe fell as if I am driving incorrectly.
Which for a CVT, I may be.

Will get back you you in 8-12 months.

Cheers,
Jim
nearly.normal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Here's another good question, is CVT belt maintenance and such covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty or is it considered a wear item like a clutch is? One CVT belt replacement I bet would more than pay for the cost of buying into the warranty.
Unread 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The only maintaince required for the CVT is a Fluid and Filter change every 60K. There is no seperate belt maintaince, if it slips, it's history. Regular maintaince won't be covered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.