Question for Compass haters - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question for Compass haters

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Closed Thread
Unread 01-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #61
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofrus
I completely agree. The question in and of itself, indeed, is an invitation for arguement. What bothers me most, however, is that the 'compass haters' haven't even taken into consideration the volume of new generation Jeep owners that this Compass has created. For example, the Wrangler would not be for me because I would have no use for it. The Liberty seems to be the popular style for middle class women in their late 30's to early 40's. The Grand Cherokee is nice, but still, not a fit for me. When the concept of the Compass came out I was excited. When the actual vehicle rolled out onto the lot of my local Jeep dealer I was thrilled because it was the perfect vehicle for me. Right size, right look, right gas mileage, right price. I was the first in my area to buy one and I am proud of that fact. I had never owned a Jeep before, but because I love this Jeep I will be a Jeep owner for life. The 'Compass haters' may not like it, and to each their own, but it's not productive to complain about either.
Exactly. The Compass was made for people who have no need for a Jeep, and in fact should be buying something else, but who want to be able to say that 'they own a Jeep'. The day this car (beacause the Compass is a CAR, and Jeep shouldn't be in the business of making cars) rolled off the assembly line was the day the Jeep brand started plummeting downhill.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Unread 01-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #62
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
Exactly. The Compass was made for people who have no need for a Jeep, and in fact should be buying something else, but who want to be able to say that 'they own a Jeep'. The day this car (beacause the Compass is a CAR, and Jeep shouldn't be in the business of making cars) rolled off the assembly line was the day the Jeep brand started plummeting downhill.

Simply put BULL! Narrow minded attitudes will kill Jeep a lot faster than Diversification. No need for a Jeep? I was driving them before you were born so get off of your aloofness.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Unread 01-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #63
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Simply put BULL! Narrow minded attitudes will kill Jeep a lot faster than Diversification. No need for a Jeep? I was driving them before you were born so get off of your aloofness.
Face it - you're driving a rebadged Dodge Caliber. Even if it is AWD, it's still more closely related to my friends Neon than it is to my ZJ. If you needed a Jeep, you would have bought one. You didn't, you bought a Compass.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Unread 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #64
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Face it - you're driving a rebadged Dodge Caliber. Even if it is AWD, it's still more closely related to my friends Neon than it is to my ZJ. If you needed a Jeep, you would have bought one. You didn't, you bought a Compass.
I bought a General Purpose vehicle, a JEEP, as it's original intent. Get over it!

Plus I still have a GC.

Unread 01-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #65
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I bought a General Purpose vehicle, a JEEP, as it's original intent. Get over it!

Plus I still have a GC.
OK, here's my main beef with the Compass:

1) It's a car! A freakin' 3" off the ground, fully-independant suspension, available in FWD car. Jeep is supposed to be seen as a specialty brand, in that they only make one thing and they make them well. That thing used to be Jeeps (Jeeps are like SUVs, only better ). I see Jeep as akin to GMC in that way. GMC only makes trucks and SUVs. Some people don't want a truck/SUV, so they go buy a Chevy. Which is fine because frankly GMC doesn't want the kind of customers that don't want trucks/SUVs. GMC isn't going to start producing cars just to get a wider market share, at the expence of watering down their brand image. Jeep used to be Chrysler's 'GMC'. They only made Jeeps, and didn't care about anyone who wanted to buy cars. But they've sold out, and now they're selling a car to broaden their customer base, at the expense of their previous customer base being disgusted.

2) It's a rebadged Caliber. Never before has Jeep relabeled one of it's parent company's vehicles and called it their own. It would be one unspeakable act for Jeep to design and produce their own car. It's even worse that they just grab the new Neon, slap on AWD, and sell it as a Jeep. If it were Jeep designed it would be technically still a Jeep vehicle. But since it's just badge engineering, the Compass is just a Caliber clone. Simply put - it's not a Jeep at heart, just a clumsy attempt to get people's attention who otherwise wouldn't have even considered the Jeep brand.

Unread 01-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #66
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's pretty funny that anyone with a unibody Jeep would look down so totally harshly on a Compass.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Unread 01-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #67
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
It's pretty funny that anyone with a unibody Jeep would look down so totally harshly on a Compass.
Venture over to the ZJ/WJ board, some of those guys could out-wheel some TJs. Not yours obviously, but some

Unread 01-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #68
wifeofrus

"at the expense of their previous customer base being disgusted."

My God, can we say melodramatic????
Unread 01-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #69
BuzzDog

I saw a guy with a Jeep cap on last night. Should I hate HIM because he's not built on a dedicated Jeep platform?

Hope this drives home the point of how silly this whole debate is. If you don't like to Compass, don't buy it. It's my first entry into the Jeep fold...but I may think twice about "trading up" in a few years if owners of other vehicles in the Jeep lineup are this arrogant.
Unread 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #70
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Venture over to the ZJ/WJ board, some of those guys could out-wheel some TJs. Not yours obviously, but some
I just hope those ZJ/WJ guys have all installed some form of steering box reinforcement. The last two runs I have been on we had a Grand Cherokee on each run rip its steering box right out of the sheet metal of the unibody. There's not much there holding the steering box in place.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Unread 01-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #71
gamble71

How does it compare to other vehicles in it's class? Who cares? It's a vehicle for yuppie's and college girls.
Unread 01-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #72
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble71
Who cares?
That's exactly how we feel about your opinion. I see that you have a "tock" drivetrain, very impressive!

Unread 01-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #73
gamble71

Quote:
That's exactly how we feel about your opinion. I see that you have a "tock" drivetrain, very impressive!
Don't want anyone's opinion who doesn't agree with ya hey? In that case don't post the question....

why is it people always get mad when you don't agree with their choice. I don't care what you think about what I/my wife drive. It's mine, therefore I never ask what anyone else thinks. I'm not that insecure in my decision.
Unread 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #74
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamble71
Don't want anyone's opinion who doesn't agree with ya hey? In that case don't post the question....

why is it people always get mad when you don't agree with their choice. I don't care what you think about what I/my wife drive. It's mine, therefore I never ask what anyone else thinks. I'm not that insecure in my decision.
So you knock my opinion of your opinion?? It's the name calling that is really annoying . I'm neither a yuppie or a college girl and neither are many of the rest of us. You'd know that if you would have taken the time to read the other threads.

An INTELLEGENT technical response does more good than subjective opinions.

Unread 01-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #75
gamble71

Ok, what I think of the compass. It's unibody, strike 1. It's fully independant suspension, strike 2. It's nothing more than a rebodied dodge, strike 3. If you like it, fine. However don't come on here asking a question of all "Compass haters" and then get mad when we answer.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.