Question for Compass haters - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question for Compass haters

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Closed Thread
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #46
Barchack

Here's my issue: Though I have nothing against people that buy it, as it is a capable station wagon, I just don't feel right about Jeep having made it. I mean, yes...Jeeps are often bought by people who don't need them (suburban folk who will never let their tires leave the road) but I hate the Jeep is now condoning it. The whole hipster commercials and all that make me cringe just a little.
The whole Trail Rated thing lead up to this. As soon as that emblem showed up I knew that Jeep was ramping up to start selling some vehicles that were going to be less trail-worthy. Granted, most Jeeps still have to be modded before they really leave the pavement, but why pander to the masses in such a blatant fashion? To me, the name Jeep says something. It represents a leader in the off-roading field and a group of rock-solid, outdoor adventure based vehicles.
I hope that Jeep uses it's profits to explore more adventurous options. I also hope that the Compass works out for everyone who buys it. It's an American made, all-wheel-drive car that will hopefully dethrone Subaru in American markets, it just bothers me a little bit that Jeep had to make it and that they didn't try to make it more of a rally car style that could handle the off-roading that a Jeep man would want to do such as heading to a remote cabin or camping spot with his family?
That being said, I'll recover a Compass that's stuck in the snow WAY before I'd let my tow strap touch an H2!

I remember when jeepforum was ugly...

Last edited by Barchack; 01-17-2007 at 10:42 PM..
Barchack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #47
BuzzDog

Barchack, have you read the other posts about how the Compass performs in snow and ice?

The simple fact is that the Compass' lower center of gravity and stability control makes it a perfect cold weather vehicle, probably better than many of Jeep's other vehicles. It sounds more like a Compass owner may be rescuing YOU when you're stuck...not pulling out your rig of the snow, of course, but by driving you to your destination.

AND it gets 24 mpg, AND it's out the dealer's door, with a warranty, for well under $25k. If you're a regular working Joe like me with a family and a mortgage, that's important...and it's introduced me to the fun of owning a Jeep. Because of the mediocre fuel economy of most Jeeps, I'd never considered owning one before.

I've only been in the Jeep cult for a month, and I'm already trying to figure out how to sell my vintage Chevy to buy an old CJ. Does that make you feel better about the Compass?

P.S.: Don't forget what I stated in my other post (Compasses in Ice) about Jeep's longtime target market, and its long history of building CARS.
BuzzDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #48
Barchack

I have no doubts about the Compass's ability in the snow, I just wanted to show how the Compass is a gift from God when compared to an H2 or other similar piece of garbage.
And yes, that does make me feel better. Believe me, I'm not of of those guys that thinks that everyone should have a lifted Wrangler or XJ...hell, I'd rather people that don't intend to use their Jeeps off-road buy the Compass than a Wrangler...it's just not for me.
I think I'll always drive an XJ. You know what I think my real problem is? Not the Compass per say, but the fact that Jeep keeps rolling out these products that are geared towards the non-offroading crowd. So I guess you could say, "It's not you, it's me!"

I remember when jeepforum was ugly...
Barchack is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #49
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchack
I have no doubts about the Compass's ability in the snow, I just wanted to show how the Compass is a gift from God when compared to an H2 or other similar piece of garbage.
And yes, that does make me feel better. Believe me, I'm not of of those guys that thinks that everyone should have a lifted Wrangler or XJ...hell, I'd rather people that don't intend to use their Jeeps off-road buy the Compass than a Wrangler...it's just not for me.
I think I'll always drive an XJ. You know what I think my real problem is? Not the Compass per say, but the fact that Jeep keeps rolling out these products that are geared towards the non-offroading crowd. So I guess you could say, "It's not you, it's me!"
I hear you. I had the same reaction when I first heard of the Porsche Cayenne and the BMW X3 - X5. Of course I don't own a Porsche or a BMW, but the thought of those companies straying from their heritage just to take advantage of a market niche made my eyes roll. Not unlike those companies, I understand that Jeep also has a strong heritage. In the case of the Compass, it is clearly also a niche product, but hey...Jeep saw an opportunity to make money and this can only benefit the die hard followers. Let's face it, the Grand Cherokee and Liberty were also niche products. Heck, even Lamborghini has the "Rambo Lambo".

Last edited by phil8400; 01-18-2007 at 12:12 PM..
phil8400 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #50
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

dont know about anyone else, but i buy a vehicle because i think it will serve my purpose all the way around, i guess i dont have any loyalty to any brand/make etc.......i just want a good, sound vehicle with everything i want on it at what i feel is a good price......i have owned in order, dodge, mazda, chevy, honda, saturn, subaru, now a jeep

Last edited by echocat22; 01-18-2007 at 05:56 PM..
echocat22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #51
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by echocat22
dont know about anyone else, but i buy a vehicle because i think it will serve my purpose all the way around, i guess i dont have any loyalty to any brand/make etc.......i just want i good sound vehicle with everything i want on it at what i feel is a good price......i have owned in order, dodge, mazda, chevy, honda, saturn, subaru, now a jeep

Agreed. Also, I don't understand all the negativity. This is a new era and if the Jeep division doesn't keep up with the rest of the market you could see 'Dodge' emblazoned on the front and back of your new Wrangler.

I think the Compass is an excellent vehicle to keep the Jeep name on the pavement. I'm sure there are a lot of people that shy away from Jeep because of the lower mpg, now they can own a Jeep that can get into the mid 20's. I say bravo!

However, I wish they would have came out with the concept car. Although I imagine it would have been higher in price. I'm glad they are going after the foreign market, if it does well it only means good things for the rest of the line-up.
Afleet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #52
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet
However, I wish they would have came out with the concept car. Although I imagine it would have been higher in price. .

yea, the outside pics i saw on it looked awsome
Unread 01-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #53
XJ2Timer

Thought I would add my comments. Having owned two different Cherokees from 1989 to the present I actually have more resentment towards the upcoming Patriot than I do toward the Compass. The Compass reminds me of the AMC Eagle. This takes Jeep into a direction they haven't been in recently. I do wish the front looked more like the concept, at least have the grill slanted back and personally I want the rear door handles to be located the same as the front ones. They can do it for the Patriot, please do it to the Compass. And I really wish the Freedom Drive II and wheels and tires were available on the Compass. That would make it a very nice daily driver for me and I could use my Cherokee for the rough stuff and for towing. The reason I don't like the Patriot as much as the Compass is because of it's boxiness. To me they are trying to pass off the Patriot as more than it was designed for by making it look like the old Cherokees or some of the other older Jeeps. About the only part of the Patriot I like better than the Compass is the fact that the roof is flatter and doesn't rob cargo space by sloping down in the back like just about every vehicle today does. The sloping rear roof of the Compass just takes away from the utility.
Unread 01-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #54
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Do you hate the entire design of the Compass compared to other manufacturer's same class vehicles, or do you just simply not like it in contrast to the other jeeps? CRV, RAV4, Equinox, Saturn VUE, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa-Fe, KIA Sportage.

Understanding the obvious that this is not a “real” jeep and that fans of the rugged line would be dumbfounded to see a Japanese FWD version in the line-up…I just want to know if you really find the Compass as ugly as I’ve been reading.
First off, as lowly as the vehicles you listed are, the Compass is not even in the same class. Those are all considered small SUVs, while the Compass is just a compact AWD station wagon. The only 'competing' vehicles I can think of would be the Toyota Matrix and the smallest Subaru wagon. To answer your question, I hate the entire design of the Compass, I hate mini station wagons, and I hate the fact that Jeep has sunk so low to rebage the vehicle that replaced the Dodge Neon, and call it a Jeep. And, yes, the Compass is one of the fugliest cars I've seen yet.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #55
wifeofrus

I love my Compass!!!

Last edited by wifeofrus; 01-27-2007 at 12:00 AM..
wifeofrus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #56
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
First off, as lowly as the vehicles you listed are, the Compass is not even in the same class. Those are all considered small SUVs, while the Compass is just a compact AWD station wagon. The only 'competing' vehicles I can think of would be the Toyota Matrix and the smallest Subaru wagon. To answer your question, I hate the entire design of the Compass, I hate mini station wagons, and I hate the fact that Jeep has sunk so low to rebage the vehicle that replaced the Dodge Neon, and call it a Jeep. And, yes, the Compass is one of the fugliest cars I've seen yet.

gee, thanks for the input....
Unread 01-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #57
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

Too a great many people a "Jeep" has removable doors, a soft top and solid axles.
I am one of those people because that is what I grew up with. There were no Xj's or ZJ's or anyhting else. It was CJ5 or CJ7 Each generation sets its own standards. Some CJ guys dont consider the YJ a Jeep. Everything" is what it is". Dont get to tied up trying justify why or why not you think something should get more respect from the Jeeping public. You will just wind up doing this
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #58
wifeofrus

What I don't understand is why people would come to a Jeep Compass forum just to complain about how much they hate the Compass. What is there to be accomplished in that? Talking bad or ugly about it is not going to convince someone like me to say, "Oh gee, I'm glad you explained why I should hate the Compass too, now I'll go trade it in!" It just doesn't work that way. Surely, there must be something better for you to do!!
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #59
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofrus
What I don't understand is why people would come to a Jeep Compass forum just to complain about how much they hate the Compass. What is there to be accomplished in that? Talking bad or ugly about it is not going to convince someone like me to say, "Oh gee, I'm glad you explained why I should hate the Compass too, now I'll go trade it in!" It just doesn't work that way. Surely, there must be something better for you to do!!
Unfortunately, even the subject of this tread "Question for Compass haters" could constitute trolling, therefore it should be expected that there will be flamers. There are those that offer real reasons for their opinions without just the subjective "it's ugly" or whatever but, I still feel that most of what is posted here has not added value in any way.

I also feel as you do, if they don't like the Compass, why are they over here and also who really cares about their opinion any way? None of their negatives are going to get us to sell ours and go buy something else.

The Compass NOT being the Classic Jeep has brought others into the Jeep circle that wouldn't have been here otherwise and that's good, accept the Compass for what it is and quit criticizing it for what it isn't.

Every Jeep has had to prove itself worthy, I feel that in time, the Compass will prove that its very much a real Jeep!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #60
wifeofrus

I completely agree. The question in and of itself, indeed, is an invitation for arguement. What bothers me most, however, is that the 'compass haters' haven't even taken into consideration the volume of new generation Jeep owners that this Compass has created. For example, the Wrangler would not be for me because I would have no use for it. The Liberty seems to be the popular style for middle class women in their late 30's to early 40's. The Grand Cherokee is nice, but still, not a fit for me. When the concept of the Compass came out I was excited. When the actual vehicle rolled out onto the lot of my local Jeep dealer I was thrilled because it was the perfect vehicle for me. Right size, right look, right gas mileage, right price. I was the first in my area to buy one and I am proud of that fact. I had never owned a Jeep before, but because I love this Jeep I will be a Jeep owner for life. The 'Compass haters' may not like it, and to each their own, but it's not productive to complain about either.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.