Question for Compass haters - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Question for Compass haters

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Closed Thread
Unread 11-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #31
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Saw a compass the other day, not near as bad as i thought it would be. My wife loved it, I thought it was ok. But I like the new JK's better. The dealership i was at must plan on selling a bunch since they had about 7 instock(this is small dealer). They left one unlock also, very comfy in front and rear seats. We will deffinatly be considering one.

My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #32
Jerry All-Bran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
90% of the people who buy Jeeps, the one's who are keeping them in business don't do it because they will off-road or go anywhere.

The 7 slot grille and lights are part of the corporate identity, something of a trademark (unsuccessful efforts to enforce it against Hummer notwithstanding).

They are tantamount to a commercial or a jingle and help consumers make a mental connection to the brand image.

And since those 90% of people who buy Jeeps because of that image or off-road prowess not because of the actual capability that they will never use, WHY is it a problem to market to an even larger segement of people who are just more willing to admit that.

My logic is not silly, it is LOGIC.

Your argument is based strictly on emotion. You're not recognizing other forces at work. The most important one being that Jeep is a company which needs to maximize profitability if it is going to stick around and build ANYTHING.

The Compass is just one tool for doing that.

It is NOT the beginning of the end.

It is the beginning of a little bit of diversity for a changing world.

Kev
Ok you're good. From that standpoint, I agree totally. Just thought on your previous post that you praising the Compass to be the end all be all, surpassing everything the Wrangler has achieved. CLARIFICATION COMPLETE fack.
Jerry All-Bran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 05:48 AM   #33
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr
Just thought on your previous post that you praising the Compass to be the end all be all, surpassing everything the Wrangler has achieved. CLARIFICATION COMPLETE fack.
Oh no sir.

Jeep IS the Wrangler/Rubicon etc.

Libbys are ok.

GCs are kinda cool, but also stray from the center.

A Commander might be in our future someday.

My praise for the Compass (and probably Patriot too) was based on how well it meets our current needs. Though, ironically, I wound up with a Subaru instead. But then again, that is the same market segment, and it easily could have gone the other way.

Kev M is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #34
BeachCrawler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am just glad I got my TJ when I did. I have had other Jeeps before, an XJ and a YJ, so I favor the I6 engine and am a little dissapointed about Jeep using V6 now. I will always drive a Jeep (Wrangler) and tried to get my wife to get one also. I was successful, but she wanted a Liberty a few years ago. I would have rather she drove a TJ, but she does drive the kids around. She is trading in the Liberty now for the Compass. I am not a big fan of the new looks that Jeep is going with. Too rounded and too plastic for my taste. But whatever, atleast she is driving the Jeep name.
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
BeachCrawler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #35
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstein3rd
I am just glad I got my TJ when I did. I have had other Jeeps before, an XJ and a YJ, so I favor the I6 engine and am a little dissapointed about Jeep using V6 now. I will always drive a Jeep (Wrangler) and tried to get my wife to get one also. I was successful, but she wanted a Liberty a few years ago. I would have rather she drove a TJ, but she does drive the kids around. She is trading in the Liberty now for the Compass. I am not a big fan of the new looks that Jeep is going with. Too rounded and too plastic for my taste. But whatever, atleast she is driving the Jeep name.
Maybe you can compromise. Did you show her the pictures of the Patriot due out at the first of the year? There may be some "intro" specials to be had for the first ones delivered. Not that I'm complaining about another Compass owner among us!

Gramps.
Gramps is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #36
BeachCrawler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Maybe you can compromise. Did you show her the pictures of the Patriot due out at the first of the year? There may be some "intro" specials to be had for the first ones delivered. Not that I'm complaining about another Compass owner among us!

Gramps.
She likes the Patriot but says she wants the Compass because it fits her style more. Whatever!!!!! As long as its American made and Jeep named, I am happy.
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
BeachCrawler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #37
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstein3rd
She likes the Patriot but says she wants the Compass because it fits her style more. Whatever!!!!! As long as its American made and Jeep named, I am happy.
I know what she means, I like "different" myself. My wife likes the Patriot.

"Whatever!!!!!As long as its American made and Jeep named, I am happy." EXACTLY!
Gramps is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #38
offroader156

I don't like the Compass compared to other Jeeps, and I don't like the Compass compared to the competition. I mean it's not that bad for a compact SUV, but it's definetely not good for a Jeep. I don't have any problem with the Patriot because Jeep needs a compact SUV to compete with the competition. But the Patriot looks like a real Jeep, has a low range, and with the off-road package it is one inch higher than the base Patriot or the Compass (all Patriots should be one inch higher). The Patriot isn't completely a real Jeep either, but it's alot closer than the Compass.
offroader156 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #39
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader156
I don't like the Compass compared to other Jeeps, and I don't like the Compass compared to the competition. I mean it's not that bad for a compact SUV, but it's definetely not good for a Jeep. I don't have any problem with the Patriot because Jeep needs a compact SUV to compete with the competition. But the Patriot looks like a real Jeep
So you're saying the Libby doesn't LOOK like a real Jeep either then...
Kev M is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #40
Boomhauer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJfan
That's exactly why I don't like the Compass. If they wanted to expand Jeep to the WRC rally car segment that's fine, and I think they had a real winner with the original concept. What happened between that original concept and the production model I have no idea, but whoever made the changes should be fired!
X2 ! That concept compass looks awesome, same with the Charger. What happened? The Compass looks like a Pontiac Aztec and a Hyundai Santa Fe had sex and this is the result! Good Grief is that one of Lee sisters? Home or Ug? The Caliber on the other habd looks pretty cool.
Boomhauer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #41
phil8400

I certainly appreciate the Jeep legacy as a Rubicon Trail rated kick *** 4X4.
Although I bought a Compass, I can't say I've ever seen a Jeep I didn't like.
I may not be into mods such as monster truck wheels and such, but hey...we all have our own tastes.

Quote:
We dislike the Compass because we ware watching the down fall of a great company due to MPG restrictions set by the government.

Oh. And you can;t make a compass look like this.
...That's one bad *** looking machine ...to rent one for a weekend
phil8400 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #42
nierace
2003 WJ 

It's not for me...but if chrysler sells them and they make money off em to keep Jeep in business thats cool

And I think everyone was dissapointed when they nixxed out the concept Charger, it looked sick.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #43
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Jeep folks always complain about the new models not being Jeeps. CJ folks didn't like the square headlights on the YJs, people didn't like the lack of leaf springs on TJs. XJs were a unibody but were exactly what Jeep needed to stay in business. Same thing with the Grands, they fit a market.

The new models are the same thing. Subaru has been killing the American car makers. They make a nice, easy to drive, all-wheel-drive vehicle that could achieve non-SUV fuel mileage. Jeep is taking a shot at them. Rock on DC, make enough money to keep building the short wheel based, flat windshielded, dirt bugs that we all love.

As for the 'Real Jeeps and a 7-slot grill' try this;
Unread 12-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #44
BuzzDog

Since I am a recent Compass owner I'm definitely biased on this subject, but I see a place for this vehicle in Jeep's lineup. If you don't like it, don't buy it...plain and simple.

Some of us own multiple vehicles, including "real" Jeeps that can crawl over rocks with the best of them. But for day-to-day commuting - not to mention that I cover a four-state territory - I needed something that was safe, comfortable and easy on gas. At one point in my life I could only afford one vehicle that would stand up to the most severe use I would dish out to it, but now I'm lucky to be able to afford more than one. While some purists are more comfortable with the Liberty, Commander and Grand Cherokee, the truth is that these vehicles also contain compromises, and none met my desire for good gas mileage. I guess I could have waited for the Patriot, but since I wanted a new vehicle NOW, would you have preferred to see me buy a non-Jeep vehicle?

One other thing I noticed on another Jeep board, which I found VERY amusing: A poster let off an extremely unfriendly rant about the Compass, without many specifics as to his reasoning. When I checked out his profile, it turns out he is a 16-year-old who drives a late model Grand Cherokee. Hmm...guess I might also have a different opinion of the Compass if I were still driving Daddy's $30,000+ vehicle, and someone else was likely paying for my gas...
BuzzDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #45
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

entered comments in wrong section

Last edited by echocat22; 01-18-2007 at 07:55 AM..
echocat22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.