Question for Compass haters - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 77 Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
GreenDean
Registered User
 
GreenDean's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersey, Exit 105
Posts: 1,915
We dislike the Compass because we ware watching the down fall of a great company due to MPG restrictions set by the government.

Oh. And you can;t make a compass look like this.


GreenDean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 77 Old 11-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org
 
Matt Gertsch's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 8,855
I love the Compass! We should get together and go 'wheeling some time.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
Matt Gertsch is offline  
post #18 of 77 Old 11-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDean
We dislike the Compass because we ware watching the down fall of a great company due to MPG restrictions set by the government.

Oh. And you can;t make a compass look like this.

How f'n hard is it to understand.

The need/benefit of EPA standards can be debated, but THAT's what is causing the change at Jeep. The Compass isn't the DOWNFALL (cause), it's the SAVIOR (solution)!

Remember that for every Compass they build, that's another Commander they can build.

Get it?

Through CAFE standards the Compass allows Jeep to build and sell other less fuel efficient wheelers.


And nothing personal, I have no use for a GC that looks like that.
Kev M is online now  
post #19 of 77 Old 11-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Rbongirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockton, IL
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCJfan
That's exactly why I don't like the Compass. If they wanted to expand Jeep to the WRC rally car segment that's fine, and I think they had a real winner with the original concept. What happened between that original concept and the production model I have no idea, but whoever made the changes should be fired!
That "concept" model is also a 2 door vs the 4 door that they're currently making. Right now they're not making 2 door models at all. I know that they are suppose to start making 2 door models of the Caliber down in Venezula. Who knows if they'll have one of the Compass or not.

Kel
Rbongirl is offline  
post #20 of 77 Old 11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville
Posts: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDean
We dislike the Compass because we ware watching the down fall of a great company due to MPG restrictions set by the government.

Oh. And you can;t make a compass look like this.
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. Let me start with a 6 pk and work up to a case.

Gramps
Gramps is offline  
post #21 of 77 Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 PM
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!
 
sharpie's Avatar
1999  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Irvine
Posts: 2,351
I still believe there is no such thing with 18 inch chrome rims and trim that can be called a Jeep

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out our shirts in the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!


- Brian
Drive Auto Gear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



XJ Writeups:
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sharpie is offline  
post #22 of 77 Old 11-11-2006, 11:36 PM
EJames1226
Registered User
 
EJames1226's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Escondido
Posts: 3,652
I think i would much rather have a compass over this wrangler thing. WHen i have the top off, my hair gets messed up, i cant speed on the freeways = (, i have to do all the work my self on it = (, when it rains, and i open up the door, i get water on me = (, it gets dirty when i go offroading = (, no A/C!!!! = (

Damage Initiation Specialist: Eric's Jeep Repair Club, San Diego Chapter
EJames1226 is offline  
post #23 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1k
I still believe there is no such thing with 18 inch chrome rims and trim that can be called a Jeep

You better tell that to all the posers in the Wranglers and Commanders that put 18 and larger inch chrome wheels on theirs in Philly...

(not my taste either).
Kev M is online now  
post #24 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Jerry All-Bran
Senior Member
 
Jerry All-Bran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
How f'n hard is it to understand.

The need/benefit of EPA standards can be debated, but THAT's what is causing the change at Jeep. The Compass isn't the DOWNFALL (cause), it's the SAVIOR (solution)!

Remember that for every Compass they build, that's another Commander they can build.

Get it?


Through CAFE standards the Compass allows Jeep to build and sell other less fuel efficient wheelers.


And nothing personal, I have no use for a GC that looks like that.
Than ditch the 7 slot grille and round headlights

A real jeep is meant to be beaten. A compass is not.
A real jeep is meant to have dirt inside and out to the point where plants will grow on your spring perches. a compass will not.
A jeep can go anywhere. A compass cannot.
Basically, anyone that enjoys a jeep it's because of its prowess offroad. the compass attempts to leech off of that prowess on road.
But that's mo. Just find your reasoning kinda silly.
Jerry All-Bran is offline  
post #25 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Kev M
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr
Than ditch the 7 slot grille and round headlights

A real jeep is meant to be beaten. A compass is not.
A real jeep is meant to have dirt inside and out to the point where plants will grow on your spring perches. a compass will not.
A jeep can go anywhere. A compass cannot.
Basically, anyone that enjoys a jeep it's because of its prowess offroad. the compass attempts to leech off of that prowess on road.
But that's mo. Just find your reasoning kinda silly.

90% of the people who buy Jeeps, the one's who are keeping them in business don't do it because they will off-road or go anywhere.

The 7 slot grille and lights are part of the corporate identity, something of a trademark (unsuccessful efforts to enforce it against Hummer notwithstanding).

They are tantamount to a commercial or a jingle and help consumers make a mental connection to the brand image.

And since those 90% of people who buy Jeeps because of that image or off-road prowess not because of the actual capability that they will never use, WHY is it a problem to market to an even larger segement of people who are just more willing to admit that.

My logic is not silly, it is LOGIC.

Your argument is based strictly on emotion. You're not recognizing other forces at work. The most important one being that Jeep is a company which needs to maximize profitability if it is going to stick around and build ANYTHING.

The Compass is just one tool for doing that.

It is NOT the beginning of the end.

It is the beginning of a little bit of diversity for a changing world.

Kev
Kev M is online now  
post #26 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Bren Gun
Registered User
 
Bren Gun's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Great White Almost North
Posts: 759
I actually saw my first Compass today at the dealership. It wasn't as ugly in person as the pictures make it look. I'm still not crazy about as the concepts ALWAYS look better than the actual models and I think that Jeep should be competing with Suburu et al. in building an AWD wagon, but hey if it still sells for Jeep, that's more R&D money toward building and designing a Rescue or Gladiator.

'99 TJ, '03 KJ and a '53 CJ3B sitting in the barn waiting on a restoration... @

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone, but never forgotten... 1973 DJ5C, 1964 CJ5, 1953 M38A1, 1971 Hurst Special Jeepster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bren Gun is offline  
post #27 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 04:05 PM
87warrior
Registered User
 
87warrior's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Junction City
Posts: 1,607
I like the idea of the Compass/Patriot... It works well for what American needs now...

However, I do not like the STYLING of the compass, but I do like the looks of the Patriot. Same base, differant body. Someday, I may have a Patriot parked in a garage next to my Rubicon.

03
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Rubicon build)
92
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(92/99 Comanche Project)
86
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Heavy Four)
87warrior is online now  
post #28 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Gramps
The Necessary Evil
 
Gramps's Avatar
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Madison/Janesville
Posts: 5,623
And my wife is interested in the Patriot too. She's gotta do one of those "touchy/feely things" with it when they come out. Someday, I may have a Rubicon parked next to my Compass and the GC or Patriot.
Gramps is offline  
post #29 of 77 Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 AM
TX JEEP CJ7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 132
I hate the Compass b/c it looks like a plastic toy. I dont like the design compared to other x-overs at all.

PS~ I think that it waters down the competence of the brand, not expands market share to future "real" Jeep buyers.
TX JEEP CJ7 is offline  
post #30 of 77 Old 11-13-2006, 01:41 PM
IWantAGladiator
Registered User
 
IWantAGladiator's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: charlotte
Posts: 218
I think Kev M said it best:

Quote:
The Compass is just one tool
IWantAGladiator is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
08 compass cvt question. horsepower Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 6 08-27-2009 05:05 AM
2008 Compass Rally question... Sgt_K Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 1 05-17-2009 04:34 PM
Compass heater question JCNE Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 2 01-18-2009 01:14 AM
compass question banks741938 Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 7 05-08-2008 12:22 PM
Compass Transmission Question rock2r Jeep Compass & Patriot Forum 14 02-16-2007 02:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome