question about the stick. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > question about the stick.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
madrabbitt

question about the stick.

the shifter, that is.

whats the layout?
Where is reverse in relation to first?

How easy is it to shift into reverse instead of first?

PS: Big grille guard on cherokee 1, brand new compass 0

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

Standard layout:

1-3-5
2-4-R

Sounds like your planning to do some playing

It's easy to shift from 1st to reverse, as long as you know how to drive a stick.

Only thing I found at first was it was stiff, but now after a few months of driving shifting is easy and smooth.
JOJOJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
madrabbitt

Actually, it wasnt me.

High school chick in a brand new compass backed into me at a red light yesterday.

I swore it was a double H like you posted, and i was wondering how the heck you chose reverse instead of first.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Somebody is obviously a MORON. I could understand it if it was like the VW stick shifts. They're:
R-1-3-5
--2-4
Unread 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
madrabbitt

Thats what i was thinking. I knew my friend's bug had reverse next to first, but you had to push the stick downward then forward.

but in an american car, i'd expect it to be somewhat idiot proof.

of course.

blonde.
JUST got her liscense 3 days before
JUST got her car 2 days before.

Oh well. No damage whatsoever to the cherokee, scrapes on her bumper, but her hatch will have to be replaced.

Unread 03-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

Oh, that sucks.
Well like I said, easy as long as you know how to drive a stick.

I'm a woman driver and I am ashamed of most of my kind, they can not drive. I used to think that men were saying that because that's what men do, but nope. 90% of the time when I see someone doing something just plain stupid, it's a woman. The other 10% is usually an old grumpy man.

Glad your Jeep didn't get damaged.
Unread 03-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
madrabbitt

i feel sorry for the poor girl though.
not a fun lesson to learn on your 3rd day of driving.

Unread 03-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOJEEP
I'm a woman driver and I am ashamed of most of my kind, they can not drive.
Hmm...well, I'm a male driver who has survived having a 16-year-old MALE driver in the house, and here's how I see it:

New female drivers seem to have little "fender benders" while almost at a complete stop. For whatever reason, new male drivers seem to have ACCIDENTS, at higher speeds. I can think of one incident when I asked, "Why didn't you slow down when you saw you were headed into that ditch?" Response: "I dunno...I figured if I hit the gas I'd come out faster." Instead, he rolled.

Punishment to fit the crime: Got the physics teacher at his high school to assign him some readings on speed, trajectory and spatial concepts, from which he then had to write me a summary and discuss. My co-workers thought I was crazy and should have just grounded him...oh, well.

Back to the original post: I think the idiot here is the parent who gave their daughter a standard shift for her first car. But then again, I'm a proponent of requiring teens to drive retired taxicabs and police cars.
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

True. Boys do like to fly. Not that it justifies it, but at least that's a solid reason for getting into an accident, whereas " I thought I was in first, not reverse" is just silly. I agree too, it is the parents fault for getting her a stick for her first car, brand new at that. Think they learned their lesson? Doubtful. Off topic, but it amazes me what parents do not take responsiblity for. Watching the news tonight, two kids playing with chemicals to make a small bomb after watching it done on youtube, now they can't open their eyes and they have chemical burns all over themselves. Not once during the story did they mention where the parents were, or why didn't the parents know what they were watching on that website.
I agree with your parenting, more parents need to follow through like that. My co-workers are amazed that I track all of my 13 year old daughters online usage with a ghost program and read her emails, they say they couldn't do that. I say I couldn't not do that.
PS. I also think that no one, child or adult, should be able to get a motorcycle license unless they have had at least 3 years in an automobile, and a safety course. But that's another can of worms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.