Oh, that sucks.
Well like I said, easy as long as you know how to drive a stick.
I'm a woman driver and I am ashamed of most of my kind, they can not drive. I used to think that men were saying that because that's what men do, but nope. 90% of the time when I see someone doing something just plain stupid, it's a woman. The other 10% is usually an old grumpy man.
I'm a woman driver and I am ashamed of most of my kind, they can not drive.
Hmm...well, I'm a male driver who has survived having a 16-year-old MALE driver in the house, and here's how I see it:
New female drivers seem to have little "fender benders" while almost at a complete stop. For whatever reason, new male drivers seem to have ACCIDENTS, at higher speeds. I can think of one incident when I asked, "Why didn't you slow down when you saw you were headed into that ditch?" Response: "I dunno...I figured if I hit the gas I'd come out faster." Instead, he rolled.
Punishment to fit the crime: Got the physics teacher at his high school to assign him some readings on speed, trajectory and spatial concepts, from which he then had to write me a summary and discuss. My co-workers thought I was crazy and should have just grounded him...oh, well.
Back to the original post: I think the idiot here is the parent who gave their daughter a standard shift for her first car. But then again, I'm a proponent of requiring teens to drive retired taxicabs and police cars.
True. Boys do like to fly. Not that it justifies it, but at least that's a solid reason for getting into an accident, whereas " I thought I was in first, not reverse" is just silly. I agree too, it is the parents fault for getting her a stick for her first car, brand new at that. Think they learned their lesson? Doubtful. Off topic, but it amazes me what parents do not take responsiblity for. Watching the news tonight, two kids playing with chemicals to make a small bomb after watching it done on youtube, now they can't open their eyes and they have chemical burns all over themselves. Not once during the story did they mention where the parents were, or why didn't the parents know what they were watching on that website.
I agree with your parenting, more parents need to follow through like that. My co-workers are amazed that I track all of my 13 year old daughters online usage with a ghost program and read her emails, they say they couldn't do that. I say I couldn't not do that.
PS. I also think that no one, child or adult, should be able to get a motorcycle license unless they have had at least 3 years in an automobile, and a safety course. But that's another can of worms.