Hey everyone, new to the forums. My wife and I are going to be purchasing a 2012 Patriot Sport 4x4, pretty much loaded. Neither of us have ever owned a Jeep before but a few questions:
1. How do the Patriots handle in the snow?
2. Does anyone else use this as a "family" vehicle with kids?
3. How does the Patriot and Compass compare in terms of interior room, cargo space, etc.?
Thank you so much, look forward to joining the community! Will post pictures when we get it tomorrow!
1. We have a Front drive 2010 Patriot. We drove up to Boston for Christmas of 2010. That was a hammer time snow at Christmas. We have no problems on the snow packed roads. I never regretted driving the Patriot up instead of our 4 door Wrangler.
And even loaded with the family plus stuff for a week we got 30mpg.
2. Yes. My son is 6'4" and fits comfortably in the back seat. Family plus stuff on road trips is a breeze. For more cargo space we have the 2" hitch and a cargo rack.
3. Die hard Compass fans are convinced there is no difference. But my experience is otherwise. We do no fit in the compass. But it is no problem in the Patriot. If the Patriot did not have more room than the Compass we would not have bought either one.
The dimensions might be a little different for the 2012 Compass. But 2010 there was a big difference that took the Compass of the list for us.
The Patriot is hard to be for the combination of fuel economy, size, and price.
A bit of cognitive dissonance : The new Ford F150 Quad Cab flexfuel has an EPA highway rating of 24MPG, compared to 25 for the Patriot.
Actual mileage we get with our Pat is closer to 30MPG highway.
But the F150 is looking attractive for a next vehicle purchase.