Purchasing a 2012 Patriot! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Purchasing a 2012 Patriot!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
goombatommy

Purchasing a 2012 Patriot!

Hey everyone, new to the forums. My wife and I are going to be purchasing a 2012 Patriot Sport 4x4, pretty much loaded. Neither of us have ever owned a Jeep before but a few questions:

1. How do the Patriots handle in the snow?

2. Does anyone else use this as a "family" vehicle with kids?

3. How does the Patriot and Compass compare in terms of interior room, cargo space, etc.?

Thank you so much, look forward to joining the community! Will post pictures when we get it tomorrow!

goombatommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
goombatommy

Well, we did it! We drove the Patriot off the lot last night. I like this thing - the first second or two driving it I wasn't a particular fan of the CVT, but once I understood how it works etc. it grew on me. We also test drove a Compass and I can concur with what others have said - the Patriot does have more interior room. I felt a little squished in the Compass. Plus the model we were looking at didn't have all the bells n' whistles that the Patriot had. We are happy with our purchase and look forward to growing within the Jeep community!
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Congrats on your purchase! Many of your questions are answered in this area: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...h-more-519045/ . The Patriot is more squared off on the roof line both front and rear and give the impression of being roomier but the cubic inches are pretty much the same.

There have been times that the taller rear hatch of the Patriot could have come in handy for me, but I still got by.
Both of the MK's are great in the snow with the right tires!
No kids but I've had many passengers from time to time, no issues.

Both you and the CVT will adapt to each other. It's a 'learnable' transmission. A little trick to avoid the 'herky-jerky' slowing down is to keep light pressure on the gas, don't let off of it too quickly.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
goombatommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Many of your questions are answered in this area: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...h-more-519045/ . The Patriot is more squared off on the roof line both front and rear and give the impression of being roomier but the cubic inches are pretty much the same.

There have been times that the taller rear hatch of the Patriot could have come in handy for me, but I still got by.
Both of the MK's are great in the snow with the right tires!
No kids but I've had many passengers from time to time, no issues.

Both you and the CVT will adapt to each other. It's a 'learnable' transmission. A little trick to avoid the 'herky-jerky' slowing down is to keep light pressure on the gas, don't let off of it too quickly.
Okay great, thank you! I will check that thread out.

I know exactly what you mean by it being "learnable". My wife is taking it out with the kids today and shes loving the heck out of it. Jealous, can't wait to go home and take it out for a drive :P.

Thanks!
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Mine drives well in the snow. I had a Volvo XC70 AWD before it that I liked better, maybe because of the longer wheelbase, or lower CG, but the Patriot does well. Full time 4wd is comforting.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
goombatommy

Ahh okay, thanks for the info! My wife and I are loving this thing, its so much fun to drive and interior space is enormous compared to the Vibe GT we used to have. Can't wait to increase my post count so I could post pictures of it!
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

How did you like the vibe? Ive considered one of those before. Was it AWD?
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
goombatommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
How did you like the vibe? Ive considered one of those before. Was it AWD?
The Vibe GT was a good little car. It had some good pep to it (thanks to the 6-spd manual). It was not AWD, only FWD. What year were you looking at?
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just drove my custom-built 'riot off the lot today, and lemme tell you what: I'm loving it!

I like the theory of CVT, but I went with the manual transaxle, FD1, and the only "bells and whistles" I went with were the power windows and locks, and the Uconnect system so I can stream bluetooth audio from my phone.

Baby-**** gr... I mean "Rescue Green".

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
goombatommy

Glad to hear your enjoying yours! We are loving ours to death! We actually get into minor disputes as to whos taking it to work and driving it .

I have one strange question - - fog lamps. The first week we were driving it the fog lamps always turned on when we turned the headlights on. Now, my wife pointed out and I confirmed this when turning the headlights on, the fog lamps don't turn on anymore. Is there some sort of button or knob we have to turn to get them back on again with the headlights? They both couldn't have blown out already. Thanks!
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

You pull the tip of the headlight/blinker knob out to turn foglights on.
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
goombatommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
You pull the tip of the headlight/blinker knob out to turn foglights on.
Okay, I'll try that. Wife was messing around with it the other day. Thanks!
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Also they only work with Low Beams.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #14
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Just got my 2012 patriot limited FDII with every package group available a couple of weeks ago. I also got the lifetime B2B max care warranty so I never have to worrie about it. So far I love this Jeep and I don't miss the TJ I traded for it one bit. we have been getting lots of heavy rain lately and it has performed awesome, can't wait for the winter to drive in the snow. Also like many I too was abit unsure about the CVT but now I love it.

Mine new Pat:

2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

My girl will be paying off her current car this winter and come spring she'll be getting a Patriot. She's been planning on the purchase for 2 years now. When I got my JK a month ago it really started driving her crazy. Glad to hear so many good reviews. It's going to be the family pack mule, and I think that roof basket will a nice gift for her.
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.