Purchased 2007 Compass, should it hum/buz at 60MPH on the highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Purchased 2007 Compass, should it hum/buz at 60MPH on the highway

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Kgregory1982

Purchased 2007 Compass, should it hum/buz at 60MPH on the highway

Purchased a 2007 Compass limited 4x4. When I get to 60 on the hwy, manual transmission, I notice a buzz or humming sound coming from the dash, or what I believe to be under the hood now. It only hums if I am pressing the gas pedal, if I let off it slowly goes away. Is this a normal sound? Or should I take it to Jeep to get corrected. It is a little annoying I do a lot of highway driving. I have never owned a Jeep before. Thanks in advance for any useful info!

Kgregory1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Hums/buzzes are always difficult to diagnose. Could be a number of things, from the cowling (black plastic around wiper motors against windshield) to engine noises. I would advise parking it in the driveway and having someone rev the engine up slowly, see if you can hear it. If you can't hear it there, most likely wind related. If you can hear it parked, then engine related. That will at least narrow it down.

Just don't rev it into the red.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Look for any loose wires or zipties touching any of the moving parts. Belts, drive shafts, axles etc. I think twice I've had mysterious buzzes traced back to something dumb like that. One was a sticker rubbing the cooling fan in either my grand am or cavalier, like having a baseball card in the spokes. Other was the wires from the axle wheel speed sensor, had come out of the harness that keeps it away from the drive shaft. This one later got tangled and pulled the wires out of the axle. That was on my grand am.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Kgregory1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwe View Post
Hums/buzzes are always difficult to diagnose. Could be a number of things, from the cowling (black plastic around wiper motors against windshield) to engine noises. I would advise parking it in the driveway and having someone rev the engine up slowly, see if you can hear it. If you can't hear it there, most likely wind related. If you can hear it parked, then engine related. That will at least narrow it down.

Just don't rev it into the red.
Thanks for your response Jason. I do have a manual transmission but have tried to Rev it while in neutral and the sound is not there. It is only after I pass 55mph. It is a steady buzzing sound that is directly tied to me pressing the gas pedal, if I let off the pedal it will slowly but rather quickly taper off. If I press the pedal again here comes the buzz. I dont mind the growling but the steady buzz is very annoying. I my have to take it to Jeep to see what is up. I dont think I have a CVT since its a manual.
Kgregory1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.