PTU and RDA fluid change - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > PTU and RDA fluid change

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
nightcrawlermc
2007 MK Patriot 

I got some oil from the dealer and they said it called for 1 quart in each. I have the service manual but I'm still having problems finding the drain and fill plugs for the PTU. Do I have to take off the engine shield at the bottom in an 07 Patriot to get to these plugs? These service manuals aren't as good as the older Jeep manuals. Also what's the best way to get the oil in the fill plug for the RDA? Maybe somehow squeeze it down a hose?

nightcrawlermc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
nummy1
2007 MK Patriot 

Yes, the bottom skid plate must be removed. To get the new oil in. I used a one gallon milk jug. Rinse out the jug and dry. Put a small hole 1/16” in the plastic jug cap for a vent and another hole in the cap for a tube long enough to go from the outside of the Jeep to the gearbox. To make sure that the oil was flowing, I used a clear ‘ plastic tube. Pour 1 quart of gear oil into the jug. Put the cap on the jug to avoid spilling. Insert the tube through the cap into the milk jug. Raise the jug up, outside the Jeep, (on the roof) above the gearbox enough so that when you siphon the oil out of the jug it will flow. It will fill slowly, but it will be worth the extra time and you won’t spill a lot of oil on the ground. After a few minutes, watch for the gearbox to fill. Once you see it start to drip out of the fill hole, pull out the plastic tube and reinstall the fill plug, and you are done. When filling the gearbox, be sure to use a drain pan under the gearbox to catch the drippings.
It is much easier when changing the rear gearbox oil to support the Jeep by the body’s jacking points instead of supporting the Jeep by the rear axel. So if you allow the rear axel to drop down under it’s own weight while the Jeep is in the air, you can get at the rear fill plug so much easier.
There are flat washers on both fill and drain plugs, front and rear. Be sure that the washers get reinstalled.

All the best and good luck
Nummy1
2007 Jeep Patriot
nummy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
nightcrawlermc
2007 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the help. Once I took the skid plate off I figured it out. I used a siphon like you use for filling a kerosene heater to fill the RDA, it took a while but it worked. For the PTU I used a clear hose and just cut it to where it was right at the top of the engine compartment and poured the oil into it until it dripped out of the fill hole.
nightcrawlermc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
jeepjig1

I drained the oil out of the PTU and RDA. The oil looked dirty but good (no water) so it must have been overfilled at factory. I filled with new valvoline Gear Oil SAE 80W-90 until oil started coming out of the fill plug and sealed it up. Everything worked smooth and perfect but now I have a little squeak (bird chirp) on and off when the engine is idling. I rechecked the levels in the PTU and RDA after a quick drive and everything is good. It seems like it may be a coincidence and be something non related but i'm not sure. Has anyone had this issue?
jeepjig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #20
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjig1 View Post
I drained the oil out of the PTU and RDA. The oil looked dirty but good (no water) so it must have been overfilled at factory. I filled with new valvoline Gear Oil SAE 80W-90 until oil started coming out of the fill plug and sealed it up. Everything worked smooth and perfect but now I have a little squeak (bird chirp) on and off when the engine is idling. I rechecked the levels in the PTU and RDA after a quick drive and everything is good. It seems like it may be a coincidence and be something non related but i'm not sure. Has anyone had this issue?
Is the vehicle moving while making the noise. I would suspect it would just be a coincidence if so.
bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
jeepjig1

It makes the noise at idle whether it is in park or drive/reverse rolling.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #22
nummy1
2007 MK Patriot 

Hi Everyone.
It sounds to me like one of the pulleys on the engine is squeaking and it has nothing to do with the gearboxes that you just worked on. It could be the alternator, the water pump or even the air-conditioner drive pulley. I suggest taking the serpentine belt off and manually (by hand) spinning the various pulleys and listening for a squeak. It may possibly be the serpentine belt itself. Start with the least expensive part first and then move on. That has always worked for me.
Good luck
Nummy1
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #23
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummy1 View Post
Hi Everyone.
It sounds to me like one of the pulleys on the engine is squeaking and it has nothing to do with the gearboxes that you just worked on. It could be the alternator, the water pump or even the air-conditioner drive pulley. I suggest taking the serpentine belt off and manually (by hand) spinning the various pulleys and listening for a squeak. It may possibly be the serpentine belt itself. Start with the least expensive part first and then move on. That has always worked for me.
Good luck
Nummy1
i was going to add that too my post too but forgot. Also check the tensioner, i owned a 9th gen corolla that was bad with that.

-BK
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
nummy1
2007 MK Patriot 

Great minds think alike........... jeepjig1 did you find the squeek yet?
Unread 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #25
jeepjig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummy1 View Post
Great minds think alike........... jeepjig1 did you find the squeek yet?
I haven't had a chance yet. The squeek seems to come and go so i'm affraid if I take the belt apart it won't squeek. I will keep you updated as soon as I find something out.
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Why can't synthetic gear oil be used?
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
nummy1
2007 MK Patriot 

I have been giving this some thought. I feel that if Chrysler / Jeep had a reason for using regular gear oil and not synthetic, it must have been a good one. My 2007 Jeep has a lifetime warrantee. I personally would not want to add anything that was “not exactly recommended” if you know what I mean? If Jeep could come up with a reason not to warrantee your gearbox for putting in the wrong gear oil, they will.
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

I have just wanted to know why they don't recommend it. I am fine with regular gear oil, been just curious why the seem to have a no go on synthetic. lol... Not a real biggy
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

There are times when synthetic is too slippery and does not allow the needed friction for mechanical driveline parts to work properly. I know of one aftermarket locker/lsd mfg for example that is very specific NOT to use synthetic gear oil or their unit will not work properly. That "might" be the reason why with the Patriot Chrysler spec's 80W-90 conventional gear oil. Maybe something would not work properly with synthetic?

- OR -

It could simply be because the conventional 80W-90 is "good enough" to get the job done. Synthetic fluid is usually 2-3X's the cost of conventional. The Patriot is more of an economy class vehicle and the mfg is going to want to save $$$ where they can to keep the costs down for them and us. They also have to look ahead to maintenance costs for people who will buy the vehicle. People don't mind $400 scheduled maintenance fluid changes when they pay $40K for a vehicle but if they only pay $20K it can be an issue.

I have yet to see anywhere that says you should not use synthetic gear oil in the PTU and RDA as it will cause issues. All I have seen is the mfg stating to use 80W-90 GL5 non synthetic gear oil in the owner's manual. So we don't know if that is don't do it because it will cause a problem( i.e. use synthetic )or if the 80W90 is good enough so that is why it is spec'd?

One of these days I am going to write to Jeep and ask.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #30
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

UPDATE:

I just contacted Jeep Customer Service through the Jeep web site and asked about using synthetic gear oil in the PTU and RDA vs using 80W90 GL5 non synthetic per the owner's manual. I was polite but did say please provide a valid reason not to if it should not be used vs just saying follow the owner's manual. No idea how long before they answer, if they do, or if they will actually answer the question instead of the typical follow your manual. If I get some kind of answer to this I will post up. If I get the typical BS follow the manual I will actually write to Jeep and ask.

I want to know if synthetic can be used and if not why not.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
compass , patriot , power transfer unit , ptu , rda , rear drive axle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.