JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   PTU and RDA fluid change (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/ptu-rda-fluid-change-1038490/)

blacksunshine 05-24-2010 08:15 PM

PTU and RDA fluid change

Searched the forums and can't find any how-to's on the changing of these fluids. Patriot at 60K and these are the last two items on my maintenance list. I've changed differential fluid before so the concept is not foreign, but the actual location of these assemblies is a bit fuzzy to me. Anyone have any pics, helpful tips? Thanks!

Gramps 05-24-2010 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Maybe this will help.

Power Transfer Unit

1. If fluid level is low or fluid change is required fill with MOPAR® MS9020 SAE 80W90 Gear Lube until to bottom of fill plug.
2. Tighten fill plug (1) to 32 N·m (24 ft.lbs.).
3. Tighten drain plug (2) to 32 N·m (24 ft.lbs.).

Rear Drive Axle

1. Remove fill plug (1) and drain plug (2). Drain fluid.
2. Install drain plug (2) and tighten to 32 N·m (24 ft.lb.).
3. Fill with MOPAR® MS9020 SAE 80W90 Gear Lube to bottom of fill plug.
4. Install fill plug (1) and tighten to 32 N·m (24 ft.lb.).

blacksunshine 05-25-2010 02:30 PM

that is exactly what I needed. Gramps, you are the man! I've seen you answer other ?s on here. Thanks for being such a wealth of knowledge!

Gramps 05-25-2010 07:38 PM

You're very welcome and I'm glad that I could help! As questions like this come up I'm adding them to http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...s-more-519045/ for easy reference. Enjoy your ride. :thumbsup:

deepnite10 05-30-2010 11:56 AM

im going to have to discuss this with my service dept..

unless you fall into schedule A..the transfer units don t ever
have to be changed..IMO, bad idea though..but, instead of
every 60,000, maybe 120,000

nummy1 04-15-2011 07:15 PM

Hi All
I guess that I’m a bit confused with the last post. My 07 Patriot has 65K highway miles on it. Do I need to change the gear oil in the front and rear “transfer cases“? Also I want to make sure that if I am suppose to change the oil that I use 80W-90 gear oil in the front and the rear. I don’t want to add the wrong oil.
Thanks

snwbdr09173 07-11-2011 07:20 AM

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE - NAFTA
There are two maintenance schedules that show the required service for your vehicle.

First is Schedule “B”. It is for vehicles that are operated under the conditions that are listed below and at the beginning of the schedule.

Day or night temperatures are below 32° F (0° C)
Stop and go driving
Extensive engine idling
Driving in dusty conditions
Short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km)
More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 90° F (32° C)
Trailer towing
Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service)
Off-road or desert operation
Heavy loading

NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you then change your engine oil every 3,000 miles (5 000 km) or 3 months, whichever comes first and follow schedule “B” of the "Maintenance Schedules" section of this manual.

NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you then change your coolant every 102,000 miles (170 000 km) or 60 months, whichever comes first and follow schedule “B” of the "Maintenance Schedules" section of this manual.

Second is Schedule “A”. It is for vehicles that are not operated under any of the conditions listed under Schedule "B".

Schedule A is for a vehicle that doesnt do what is involved in Schedule B.

snwbdr09173 07-11-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nummy1 (Post 11374868)
Hi All
I guess that I’m a bit confused with the last post. My 07 Patriot has 65K highway miles on it. Do I need to change the gear oil in the front and rear “transfer cases“? Also I want to make sure that if I am suppose to change the oil that I use 80W-90 gear oil in the front and the rear. I don’t want to add the wrong oil.
Thanks

i answered the first part in my previous post.

the answer to the second part:

MOPAR® MS9020 SAE 80W90 Gear Lube or a NON synthetic equivalent. whenever i did mine i used the Castrol Hypoy C Gear oil. 80W-90

jeepjig1 08-28-2011 07:59 PM

I just reached 60,000 miles on my 07 Jeep patriot and decided to change out the PTU and RDA fluids. Unfortunately I didn't get that far today. I started with the PTU, loosened the fill bolt and oil started pouring out. Because the oil was only suppose to be filled to the bottom of the fill bolt I thought something seemed wrong with the amount coming out, so I closed it up with the bolt and stopped. The jeep was on level ground, was a little warm from running and located in Denver (not sure if elevation has something to do with it). Any thoughts? Are the instructions above for a 07 Patriot?

Gramps 08-28-2011 09:06 PM

The instructions cover all years. Maybe you got some water/condensation build up in there. The fluid shouldn't really deteriorate very much, it's the contaminants that could present problems. I would just follow the instructions.

NHPATRIOT 08-29-2011 02:05 PM

Has anyone used a 75W90 synthetic fluid in the PTU/RDA? Or even Amsoil's 80W90 synthetic gear oil? I am a big fan of synthetics. I am curious if Chrysler/Jeep specifies non synthetic just because it is all you need and what they used OR if there are any issues with synthetic like you see with a few aftermarket locker's?

nummy1 08-29-2011 05:18 PM

That overfilled gearbox sounds a bit odd to me. I agree with Gramps. I’m wondering if you have been puddle jumping or maybe it was simply overfilled at the factory.

jeepjig1 08-30-2011 09:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. The oil that did come out when I opened up the fill plug looked good to me. I didn't notice any water, color looked good to me. I'm wondering if it was overfilled at factory. I called the local jeep dealership to see what they charge to change the PTU and RDA fluid and they quoted me around $120 for each. Sounds a bit expensive... I need to purchase a larger socket for the drain plug and i'll go ahead and do it myself for around $10.

jeepjig1 08-30-2011 09:42 AM

I know you fill both the PTU and RDA up to the bottom of the drain plug but does anybody know about how much fluid that is?

Gramps 08-31-2011 10:01 AM

Neither the Owners Manual or the Factory Service Manual give the total fill capacity on these. All they say is fill to the bottom of the upper plug. I would get 2 qts and ago from there.

The time now is 08:38 AM.