Problem with dash warning lights flashing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Problem with dash warning lights flashing

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
kdean823
2007 MK Compass 

Problem with dash warning lights flashing

Hi. I have a weird/eerie problem for the last few weeks. It started with the airbag light coming on, staying on about 5 seconds and going off. This would happen occasionally, not at all, or 10 times in 10 minutes. Then, other warning lights started doing the same thing. Sometimes, the whole dash lights up, the spedometer/rpm goes down to 0 (but the car actual speed stays steady). It's kind of freaky but doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the car. On 2 occasions, I went to start it and while everything seemed to "power up", the card didn't actually start. Try again the 1st time it happened and started up no problem. The second time it did it, it took a few tries to work. At one point, the check engine light turned on. My friend works on cars. He hooked it up and it said the exhaust cam sensor (or something like that) and it was recommended to do an oil change to see if it fixed the problem. The check engine light has gone on and off again a couple of times since then. I have changed the oil and that helped for about 6 days. Now it started doing it all again tonight. I did recently have the alternator replaced (prior to all of this). Anyone have any ideas and what might be able to be done to fix it? I have a couple of handy people that do quite a bit on cars, and would really like to avoid the shop because I can't afford their labor charges, if possible. Any help is appreciated!

kdean823 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
kdean823
2007 MK Compass 

I should add that this happens whether the check engine light is on or off. Doesn't seem to play a role in the crazy dashboard lights....
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
kdean823
2007 MK Compass 

Still looking for an answer....I had found a thread stating this was a fairly "common" problem with this age compass/patriot, but having trouble finding the thread now. Just had the battery replaced a couple days ago and yesterday it was the worst ever for this problem.
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
kdean823
2007 MK Compass 

Ok, I found a little info, but not exactly what I read before. I have heard the next most common problem is one of 2 things....either an ignition switch, or a starter/solenoid. Wondering what your thoughts are on which to try next. The ignition switch is so much cheaper, but I only saw that on a fix for a Commander that was doing the same thing. Others refer to the starter, which I am assuming means starter motor. Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.