power wire for subs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > power wire for subs?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
olbear32

power wire for subs?

Has anyone wired a 2012 compass yet for subs? I can't find a passage to rig my power wire to the battery. Everything seems sealed up with grommets and I can't find an alternative. Any information would be appreciated.

Note: not interested in drilling a passage but if that's the only way then I will.

olbear32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to guess if you are installing this yourself then you have some experience in where the "normal" spots to pass the wire is. Which gauge wire are you running?
This may or may not help...but I had an 86 Ranger where it was actually easier to go out under the king cab rear section, where a body bolt grommet was and run it under the truck to the front.
Otherwise, if its that tight at the firewall...i'd get my own rubber grommet and drill it.

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!

The build so far....[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-predator-1342553/[/url]
PredatorNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
olbear32

4gauge wire and I found a spot along the passenger side, behind the glove box. Literally detach your glove box. There is a hole with grommet, which runs a clear wire (wire run on top then under your washer fluid tank) under your hood. Thanks for the suggestions and if anyone else runs into trouble with the install, send a message. This was literally a nightmare given the weather conditions when conducting this setup.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

What all are you installing? Im sitting on an amp, eq, and sub right now for mine. Waiting to close on a new house then I can finally buy the front components and put it all in.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
olbear32

No eq or deck just subs. I already have the Boston acoustic sound system stock with my altitude package. It sounds greattttt
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

You running the new subs off the factory amp? Its only like 90 watts.

I despise the Boston one on mine. Yet another thing about these cars that gets mixed reviews. I think the sound stage is all off. Everything up front sounds like it's coming from the 2 1/2" dash "tweeters". I have to fade 3-4 back to tone them down. And the stock sub isnt even close to impressive. I'm adding a single 10", ported box, 3 channel amp that will be 400 watts to the sub, and 80x2 to a set of good components up front. And a 13 band eq/interface between the stock deck and new amp. Factory amp will still run rear 6x9 and 3 1/2".
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
olbear32

Oh no. I ran a ac connector to my stock sub, Which connects to my new Memphis Mr 1 amp powering my Memphis m5 12 sub in a ported box. Since I ac connected the stock sub, my door speakers and tweeters still power off the stock amp. The sound balance is unreal and the sub is by far one of the best I've ever heard.
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
olbear32

Its a real pain in the *** to get to reach your stock amp and sub and another to shimmy your power wire through your dash.
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
olbear32

Other then that, piece of cake. I had to rig my remote wire thought. I took speaker wire and literally stuck it into a empty fuse slot in my fuse box. It works and the amp powers off when the ignition is not on and starts when you turn the key. Worked for me, should work for you if you plan on not removing your dash to reach your deck
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The equalizer I bought has a power sensing feature. It only turns on if its senses power in the input wires, which is going to come from the existing factory amp outputs. So the inputs to my eq will be the front L & R off the amp, and the sub output as well. The eq has a remote output wire which will then turn my new amp on and off as the eq turns on and off. I won't need to take the dash apart to get to deck but I will to install the new tweeters in factory location.

I got...

Audiocontrol LCQ-1 EQ
Arc Audio Xdi-803 amp
Boston G3 10" Sub
Hertz Audio Hi Energy 6.5" Components
Boston SC95 6x9 in rear door
Boston SE35 in hatch

Havent bought the Hertz yet but thats the last item needed
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Also since you fiddled with it....there is indeed two seperate stock amps right? The 8 channel and a seperate sub amp?
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
olbear32

Hertz are badass dude, should be one crisp clean system you got there
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
olbear32

I'm not sure. I was told to not mess with the amps at all. I had a ac connector box, which I used to splice into the stock sub wires which, disabled my stock sub but allowed me to connect my new amp and sub together. Without buying a aftermarket deck and doing all that jazz behind the dash.
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Thats similar to how I connect my eq. It takes the speaker level input and converts it to RCA output to add my amp. My stock amps keep running too.
Unread 12-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

You need that because the amps do all the digital processing, not the deck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.