Power Steering Rack replacement 2015 Jeep Patriot - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
heshrugged

Power Steering Rack replacement 2015 Jeep Patriot

Thought I would post my experience here since I didn't find much about this in a search of the forum before undertaking this project.

About a week ago I noticed the power steering fluid was low when the steering became rough and a bit noisy. Upon inspection I was leaking fluid from the rack.

Let me say that if you're going to have a leak, you do not want it to be on the rack. There's no fixing it, you must replace the rack. This is the most expensive part and the most difficult to replace. The part itself was $350 plus a $100 core charge. Had I known what I was getting into I would have gladly paid 3 times that to have somebody else do the work. The rack is extremely difficult to remove.

I had never done this repair before but a friend said he had done it and would help. While I was waiting for a week (yes, a week) for the part to arrive from another state I watched some Youtube videos (none of which featured a Patriot) to brush up before actually doing the replacement. One popular video stated that "the book" mechanics go by say this is a 5 hour repair but he will show you how to do it in 2 hours. My friend agreed that this was really a 2 hour job and we could do it in no time.

So yesterday I picked the part up on the way home and arrived at his house around 6pm to do the replacement. Almost 5 hours later we still had not successfully gotten the old rack out. But we had taken enough apart that we weren't going to quit. We ended up having to remove the sway bar and the center motor mount. By the time we did this, installed the new rack and put everything back together it was after 3am.

In particular, the rubber boot that connects the rack to the steering column was a major pain to get back together. It is in two pieces and there is very little room to maneuver in there to get them correctly fitted together, and 6 or 7 hours after taking it out it was difficult to remember exactly how it was positioned. I considered it a Christmas miracle when through no fault of my own it magically popped into position after trying in vain to manipulate it for 20 to 30 minutes.

If my buddy had not had a full arsenal of tools available this job would have been impossible. We used all manner of sizes and shapes of wrenches and sockets. Lots of hard to reach places in doing this repair.

This is not a repair that I would recommend novice mechanics attempt to do on their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.