Power bump drive train - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Power bump drive train

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window Regulator

Unread 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Bae146jet
2009 MK Patriot 

Power bump drive train

Just woundering if anyone has expericed this yet and if they have can you shed some light on it for me. My wife has a 2009 patriot north edition, i don't drive it very often but when i do, i noticed that when i accellerate and decelerate between 40 and 60 km/hr i feel the transmission grab hard( feels like a bump) when i let off the gas and i feel this transmitt back right thru the drive train then when i get back into the gas i feel the transmission grab hard again and feel it thru the drive train. This constant bumping is annoying especially when your trying to drive out the a subdivision that the speed limit is 60 km/hr. Anyone expercience this before.... Thanks

Bae146jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's been a concern of all new owners, it goes away. It's been said that it's break-in, the trans memorizing your driving habits and you learning how to drive the CVT. It also has to do with the fuel shutting down (electronics) to save gas and it also stops you from coasting. It gets better.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
tbox
2009 MK Compass 

this is a concern on our 09 Compass as well, though it seems to happen with us at any speed, sometimes better sometimes worse. glad to hear it goes away, i was about to take it in to get looked at! gramps, do you know roughly when (mileage-wise) this generally starts going away? thanks!
tbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've had mine so long this is like ancient history. Maybe 2K miles? It was also me getting used to the CVT and not letting my foot off the gas all of the way kind of fooling the TPS on deceleration and then lighter pressure on acceleration.

Mine seemed to do it most often when I would speed up and slow down abruptly. The on again off again type of thing that you may do in city traffic and the trans couldn't figure out which ratio that I was looking for.

I hope this helps and I hope that others chime in with their interpretations.

Unread 08-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
tbox
2009 MK Compass 

thanks gramps, i appreciate it. i was really surprised by the "jerky" action with the CVT - everything i've read talks about how smooth it is, but to me it seems like regular auto trans are smoother in comparison. like you said, i guess it's just a matter of what you're used to. we're not quite to 1k yet so i guess we'll see. i may also try out the autostick, though i've never driven stick before (i know, shame on me! lol) but i know this isn't the same thing.
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's just a tap and go. If you tap it to the left when stopped it'll go to 1 and then won't shift until 6K. Tap it to the right to move up a gear or hold it to the right to go back to "D". OR when driving along and you want to pass quickly, tap it to the left several times and it will go to the lowest safe gear that it can. It will NOT let you over rev the engine. Have fun "Hot Rod".

Unread 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Bae146jet
2009 MK Patriot 

thanks for the info guys, i'll try staying in the gas alittle longer. Hey gramps you said the trans learns they way we drive is there a way i can erase that and get to learn all over again. Thanks
Bae146jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Disconnecting the battery for about half an hour resets the 'puters and clears out/up many issues.

There is also this fix: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/i...sponse-564386/ . It didn't work on mine, actually I just didn't notice any change, but it's free and worth a try.

Unread 08-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
tbox
2009 MK Compass 

cool, thanks for the info!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.