Potentially Purchasing a Patriot... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Potentially Purchasing a Patriot...

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 01-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
robb01
2007 XK Commander 

Potentially Purchasing a Patriot...

Been looking for a mid-sized SUV, and I think the Patriot fits the bill. Ive got a few questions. I've been reading about the CVT auto trans and how its different, could someone describe that in detail? Also, what all does the lifetime warranty cover? I saw the employee pricing plus starts today, anyone know what I might be able to get a new 09 for? Thanks

robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Gramps is the guru here and may either provide you links to other threads talking about the CVT, or just describe it for you. In short though, the CVT uses a steel belt between two gears. It never "shifts" and is apparently better on fuel economy - but not as good as a 5-speed.

Lifetime warranty covers the powertrain only if I remember correctly. I'm not sure as Canadians aren't offered this. Ours caps out at 5 years or 100,000kms (I think...).
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This may help with some of your question: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/ratios-cvt2-vs-5-speed-395153/

It's basically the same setup as a snow mobile would use but with "simulated" shift points to appease the masses who are use to them. They are VERY smooth on the shifting to the point that you could probably sit a bowl of water on the front seat and the shifting wouldn't cause it to slosh out. The are a little sluggish off the line but I believe that most of that is perceived. You'll need to watch your speedometer until you get used to it. My Limited 4X4 does 0-60 mph in 12 sec flat, no trophy winner in the 1/4 mile but fast enough to get you where you want to go.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.