Possible Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Possible Purchase

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
chum567
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Possible Purchase

I'm highly considering trading in for a 2012 Compass Latitude. But first I want to know if there are many known issues before hand. I made a mistake and bought the 2012 Ford Focus back in early 2011 when it first came out and since then it's been in the shop a total of 7 times for replacement parts and updates. Its the biggest piece of crap. Not just me either many owners have had same bad experiences. My roommate had a Cherokee and now a Wrangler and they are so great. Cherokee lasted her forever and Jeeps seem like very well made long lasting cars. I would love a new Cherokee but its way out of my price range. So Compass looks great but I don't want to make the same mistake again. I know I will lose money in the trade since my car is only a 2012 and depreciates so much in the first year and that I still owe about what its worth, but it just might be worth the loss.

She told me about this forum for some opinions.

chum567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Compass/Patriots have been out since mid '06 with very few changes, mostly sheet metal and some interior changes. The Ball Joints and Tie Rod ends had what many would call an early life failure but MOOG has a fix for that. I've had no major problems except it's been in the shop 3x for the Cruise Control and I gave up on the dealer fixing it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
JeepCares

chum567-
You could think about taking a test drive and see if you even like the way it drives and handles.
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Skye56

I purchased a 2012 jeep compass latitude 4x4 June 2012 and I like it. I added a navigation system to the vehicle when I purchased it and have been happy with it overall. The only complaint I would have is that the engine is loud when accelerating and that is does not have as much power since they are 4cyl's.
Skye56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
chum567
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ill be test driving this weekend. Been looking online and others have said poor acceleration and loud engine...my focus is terrible acceleration and extremely jerky but im so ready to get rid of that hunk of junk ford. I shall see this weekend hopefully.
chum567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

They were built to be an economy SUV that gets OK mileage, they were definitely not built for speed. Take a look at the reviews of the Nissan Rogue with the CVT... same complaints about noisy transmission/engine. Its because they are very similar transmissions, the CVTs in our Compasses/Patriots were actually made for Chrysler by a subsidiary of Nissan. Keep in mind a lot of the complaints for almost any vehicle are usually written by people that want the ride of a luxury car, with the performance of a sports car, the gas mileage of a Prius, and the interior size of a suburban. You have to compromise somewhere in there for any vehicle, you just have to focus on whats the most important to you.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

Even the first review in Motortrend (9/06) recommended the manual transmission over the automatic, and a cold air intake does the rest for decent acceleration (w/ some added noise unfortunately).

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

on a car with such a small displacement, a CAI will add 2-3 hp at best. that combined with the fact that the computer sees more air and just adjusts itself accordingly makes them a waste of time and money.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Agreed. No matter what you try and change on the intake system the computer will eventually compensate for the changes. In theory a CAI will give you a rich mixture but the computer, O2 sensors, EGR, etc will give you a zero sum gain. You may perceive it as better but the dollar value will be minuscule. Many ppl still don't know how to drive a CVT, give it some gas to work with and don't expect it to hammer in to the next gear like a conventional automatic or a stick, the ESP doesn't allow that to happen.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
on a car with such a small displacement, a CAI will add 2-3 hp at best. that combined with the fact that the computer sees more air and just adjusts itself accordingly makes them a waste of time and money.
I guess you must have the CVT.

Unread 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel5blue View Post
I guess you must have the CVT.
yes, which has absolutely nothing to do with my statement. CVT-I, CVT-II, 5 speed, fred flintstone style, doesn't matter. these cars are so computer controlled that a CAI would be negated by the car's ECU in a matter of miles. only thing you're doing is making the car louder than it already is. other than the infamous "butt-dyno," there is no proof that the CAI improves HP on these cars. think about it. if it was as simple as a $60 CAI, wouldn't the manufacturer do it already?
Unread 08-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

I cannot quibble about hp gain (K&N promises close to 8 hp increase for the 2.4l engine) , but there is no doubt in my mind that throttle response (an often mentioned problem even in the 5-speed) has improved to the point that the $ 225.- or so investment over the life of the vehicle is easily worthwhile to me.

Unread 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel5blue View Post
I cannot quibble about hp gain (K&N promises close to 8 hp increase for the 2.4l engine) , but there is no doubt in my mind that throttle response (an often mentioned problem even in the 5-speed) has improved to the point that the $ 225.- or so investment over the life of the vehicle is easily worthwhile to me.
they quote 8 hp on everything. and your throttle response time argument is also debatable, because the throttle is electronic, not mechanical, like in older cars.

but if it's worth it to you, that's all that matters
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
Busmaster2

I put in a k and n air filter and can attest to the improved pickup. I drive the same route everyday twice a day and whereas before, a stretch up a long hill required a lot of pedal, it now pulls harder at the same pedal pressure. For what it's worth, I think there's an improvement
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I bet air intakes and filters still work. I would imagine that yes the computer will notice an increase in air, and make adjustments, but how do we know what adjustments it makes? Does it change spark timing? Or does it increase fuel output/mixture to match the increased airflow? Wouldnt the latter result in more power?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.