Poor Radio Reception - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Poor Radio Reception

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Wiskow
2011 MK Patriot 

Poor Radio Reception

My 2011 Patriot Latitude has a base sound system. I've only been in San Diego since January, but in other vehicles I've driven around here (a '94 Camaro and a 2006 Grand Cherokee, neither with anything fancy for a sound system), the FM radio stations that are broadcast from around San Diego generally tend to start breaking up around 25 miles away from the city. However, in my brand-new Patriot, they were starting to break up around 10 miles away from downtown, which happens to be about the distance from downtown that I live. At first, I thought there must be a loose connection between the radio and the antenna, so I took it in to the dealer and had them check it out. They said there was no loose connection, and they couldn't find any problem with the reception either (they're located just a couple miles from downtown), so I had to drive with one of the service dept. people along for the ride so that I could prove that I wasn't crazy. They verified that the radio reception was breaking up about 10 miles away from the city, which they agreed was a less-than-normal distance to start losing radio reception. So they sent off a message to Jeep, and apparently Jeep told them to install a new stereo system, because that's exactly what they did about a week later when the new system arrived on special order. Well, I've had the new radio installed for about a week now, and guess what, it's still losing reception the same way the original one did!

So my question to all of you is, does this particular model of radio just have poor radio reception? Or should I take the Jeep back to the dealer again and have them try to figure out what's wrong? The CD and AUX functions of the stereo system work just fine, which is what we normally use anyway, so it's not really THAT big of a deal, but I just figure that a brand new vehicle should work perfectly, right?

Unread 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
BobKnake
Betty Blue "97"

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the base radio (RES? I believe)... reception stinks!
I live 50 miles from my favorite station an it's hit and miss if I get reception.

I am considering an aftermarket head unit change

Hope JEEP can fix this for you...
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Wiskow
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKnake View Post
I have the base radio (RES? I believe)... reception stinks!
I live 50 miles from my favorite station an it's hit and miss if I get reception.

I am considering an aftermarket head unit change

Hope JEEP can fix this for you...
Yes, it's "RES", printed on the bottom right corner of the unit.

If your reception is as bad as mine, then my guess is that reception is just bad in this particular model. Like I said, I mainly listen to CDs or an external device plugged into the AUX connection, so it's not that big of a deal. I may still take this back to the dealer and make a fuss, though... Maybe they'll get tired of me and give me an upgrade?
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

i have the RBZ (touchscreen radio) and have no reception issues. i have not had any of my customers complain about reception issues, however.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Afmcronnie
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had the RES in my 2009. I didnt have any reception issues at all. My roommate has a 2010 Compass with the RES and she complained of the same reception issue. Her antenna was loose and about to fall off! I tightened it up for her, no more problems. I checked the antenna on my 2011, with the 430N system, it was loose too. Not as bad as hers, but Ive only had it 2 weeks. Ill be checking it whenever I wash it from now on.
Afmcronnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.