Poor Gas Mileage - 08 Patriot Sport 2WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Poor Gas Mileage - 08 Patriot Sport 2WD

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
zup28w
2005 WK 

Poor Gas Mileage - 08 Patriot Sport 2WD

Hi all,

My brother's g/f has an 2008 Patriot Sport with the 2.0L engine. Installed K&N air filter a little while ago. It's auto, 2wd, and has about 30k miles on it.

She lives in Connecticut so she's dealing with winter weather and some hills. She's getting around 14 city and 16 highway. Seems a bit low even with winter gas.

Any suggestions on why it's so low? She's never changed the plugs and I think she's going to get that done to see if it helps.

Greg

zup28w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's the mileage on mine when it took a nose dive too. I can't explain why it does it but disconnecting the battery for about half an hour resets the computer. You may have to repeat this several times before it really gets back to normal.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Just a thought based on something I learned from my Volvo which needed regular computer resets. You can do the battery disconnect reset simply by pulling the associated computers fuse from the fusebox for a few minutes. Way easier. On the patriot Im not sure what the computer is called, and Im not near enought to look, but on the Volvo it was like PCM, or something like that.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
zup28w
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
That's the mileage on mine when it took a nose dive too. I can't explain why it does it but disconnecting the battery for about half an hour resets the computer. You may have to repeat this several times before it really gets back to normal.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. When you said you got the same mileage, was that was displayed by the computer or what you actually got when making your own calculations? I've read some WK posts where people suggest unhooking the battery to reset the computer but figured it was more for the electronic display, not the actual mileage.

Thanks again!

Greg
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
zup28w
2005 WK 

Thanks FujativeOCR,

Good idea!

Greg
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I didn't actually calculate the mpg but I was getting less miles per fill up. Others have tried this too and it works. This was a summer trip from WI down to TN so I could actually watch the mpg drop off mile after mile and I did several 'disconnect' tricks while running around. It never really stabilized until I got back home again. The dealer said it was probably bad gas but I filled up at many different stations and they couldn't all have had bad gas.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas mileage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.