PLEASE HELP: Suspension noise & inaccurate steering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > PLEASE HELP: Suspension noise & inaccurate steering?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
SimmZ
2010 MK Compass 

PLEASE HELP: Suspension noise & inaccurate steering?

I'm a new owner of a used 2010 Jeep Compass North (AWD CVT) I buy back from my mother a few weeks ago. Only 57,000 KM to the meter and paid like 50% of list price for it... To make a short story, I replace my 2k6 Toyota Matrix (150K KM to the meter) for the Jeep. What a big difference in many ways...

For the moment, I can't say I'm pleasantly surprised by my Jeep. For now I have a lot of noise in the suspension (on moderately rough road) and I really do not like the feeling of driving the Jeep. What I mean is that the steering wheel feel VERY slack and completely imprecise. I am not able to keep the vehicle running in a straight line, I always need to turn the steering wheel a little bit left and right to maintain an approximately straight trajectory!

I know that in the various SUV reviews I read ALL say the suspension components quality of Chrysler is EXTREMELY poor, but is that my Jeep is normal or do I should get it checked by the dealer before the end of the warranty?

I must tell you that my mother brought it SEVERAL times to the dealer to complain about the noise of the suspension and also the bad quality of driving, they changed some bushing here and then, but the problem still continue but she learn to live with it...

Thank you very much for your comment. I just really need some advice of what to do with this issues and my warranty end VERY SOON so I need to act quickly!!

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmZ View Post
I'm a new owner of a used 2010 Jeep Compass North (AWD CVT) I buy back from my mother a few weeks ago. Only 57,000 KM to the meter and paid like 50% of list price for it... To make a short story, I replace my 2k6 Toyota Matrix (150K KM to the meter) for the Jeep. What a big difference in many ways...

For the moment, I can't say I'm pleasantly surprised by my Jeep. For now I have a lot of noise in the suspension (on moderately rough road) and I really do not like the feeling of driving the Jeep. What I mean is that the steering wheel feel VERY slack and completely imprecise. I am not able to keep the vehicle running in a straight line, I always need to turn the steering wheel a little bit left and right to maintain an approximately straight trajectory!

I know that in the various SUV reviews I read ALL say the suspension components quality of Chrysler is EXTREMELY poor, but is that my Jeep is normal or do I should get it checked by the dealer before the end of the warranty?

I must tell you that my mother brought it SEVERAL times to the dealer to complain about the noise of the suspension and also the bad quality of driving, they changed some bushing here and then, but the problem still continue but she learn to live with it...

Thank you very much for your comment. I just really need some advice of what to do with this issues and my warranty end VERY SOON so I need to act quickly!!
Get it to the dealer ASAP! You're right about suspension problems. We had to replace the lower front control arms on ours at 25,000 miles. After that steering was tight and accurate. If your dealer isn't fond of doing warranty repairs, you might want to stop somewhere else for a second opinion before you see your dealer. Get this taken care of, it sucks when you break a tie rod or something that causes you to lose steering.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
SimmZ
2010 MK Compass 

Thank you very much for your quick reply!!

I take an appointment to my local dealer this thursday morning and I make them check for the front control arm at first.

Otherwise what else could do the knocking noise into the suspension when hitting a bump on the road? Is there any very known suspension issues on the Jeep Compass I can suggest the dealer to look at first or be sure they look it at?

Thank you!
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

Our Compass model year was known for bushings and control arm problems. I think newer models may not have that same issue, but don't rule it out. Any worn suspension parts can exhibit what your saying, so just have them put it on the rack and check everything. If they're good techs they should find the problem right away. Let us know how you make out.

Gramps, any input on this?
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Another possibility is the sway bar...link kit I think they are called. Its the vertical rod, maybe 6-8" long that connects the Sway Bar to the Suspension Arm. Went bad on my volvo and it clunked and had inconsistent steering. Wasnt a very expensive repair either.

image-1211961643.jpg
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It sounds like the old problems of Lower Control Arms and Tie Rod Ends but I thought that was over with on the '09's (early build on the '10 could have had some left over parts). Have them check the alignment . That should tell you if it's those parts we just mentioned. Yes the links can make noise if they are broken but normally aren't noticed in handling problems except on turns. When the LCA's and the Tie Rod ends go out there is lots of 'clunking' going on!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
SimmZ
2010 MK Compass 

Thank you very much guys, your help are highly appreciated!!

I now have several points to discuss with the dealer tomorrow concerning the problem!
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
JeepCares

Any update?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.