JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Please Help Diagnose 09 Patriot (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/please-help-diagnose-09-patriot-1521398/)

Meechi03 05-10-2013 07:26 AM

Please Help Diagnose 09 Patriot

Hi everyone! I have an 09 Patriot that I purchased new and it currently only has 28,000 miles on it. About 9 months ago, I noticed a knocking noise on the front right side, but it was when I was making left turns and mostly at low speeds in the neighborhood. I would also hear it when going over speed bumps. The noise has gotten worse and I now notice it when also sometimes turning right. It sounds like a clunking or knocking noise. It is not really squeaky. I also have been hearing it when I am pulling in the driveway and my foot is on the brake while going straight as well. I don't hear it at high speeds. I had it at a Jensen Tire for an oil change about 2 months ago and the guy told me "we think we found the problem" He said it was a bad ball joint and I would need my struts and strut rods or mounts replaced for a total of 1200 dollars. They have been known to rip people off, and being a lady I thought this could be possible. I took it to another mechanic (not a Jeep dealer) and he said they couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. He said he didn't check the ball joint because they never go bad at that low of miles. He also said when it was on the lift that they had the front pulled down and were shaking it and couldn't get it to make the noise.(sorry I know nothing about cars and don't know the proper lingo) Anyhow, he said I should just drive it until the noise gets worse and then bring it back. He thought it might be a bushing but couldn't pinpoint it. They drove it 9 miles and did hear the noise. Now I am second guessing whether it could be the ball joint and if that is a safety issue to keep driving. The Jeep dealer wants 165 to diagnose it, so I had been putting it off. This other mechanic looked at it twice and didn't charge me anything. I am wondering if it was a major concern if it would be visible to him when he checked it over? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my long winded post:)

Gramps 05-10-2013 07:39 AM

My guess is the Lower Ball Joints and /or the Tie Rod Ends. Many of the the '07 - '09's had an early life failure, mine did and my wife's description was a 'knocking noise'. The 'bushings' and Lower Ball Joints are part of the Lower Control Arm assembly. The Struts are NOT a known problem.

FujativeOCR 05-10-2013 07:41 AM

Tie rod ends or lower control arm bushings are common at this mileage on compass/ patriots (not on other cars mind you). Not struts. 95% sure it's one of those two things. There was a post yesterday of somebody's that failed at 50 k and another guy got only 22k.

Meechi03 05-10-2013 09:10 AM

Thank you both for your quick replies! Am I able to continue to drive it until next week when I can get it in the shop, or is this a huge safety hazard? Sorry to sound ignorant, but again I know nothing about repairs or cars.

FujativeOCR 05-10-2013 09:26 AM

I would say the sooner the better. It could cause uneven tire wear for starters, but I'd imagine something rattling around like that will only put extra stress on other suspension parts too and make them prematurely wear out also.

The time now is 07:38 PM.