Please don't soap my Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Please don't soap my Compass

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
phil8400

Please don't soap my Compass

First things first, I know all about the Jeep legacy and their owners as well as Jeep's offroading capabilities. Anyone with half a brain knows that only a true 4x4 (Cherokee, Wrangler, CJ, etc.) Jeep is a “real” Jeep.

This said, I’ve been put into a position when I need to get rid of a Hyundai Tiburon with massive amounts of negative equity. This car was fun to drive in the summer…but that’s all she said. Winters are scary as hell with no ABS, traction control or assisted breaking. Sitting that low to the ground is like being on a toboggan.

In comes my trade for a better suited vehicle for the Canadian winters here in Ottawa. Since I can’t afford to finance too many thousands of dollars over the cost of the new vehicle, I decided to go for the compact SUV market. My choices: RAV4, CRV, Jeep Compass, Saturn Outlook and Chevy Equinox. Well, I know I would never again buy a GM, so that leaves the Equinox out. The Saturn just doesn’t do it for me. The CRV is expensive, and doesn’t have any curb appeal. As for the RAV4, I’ve never seen an uglier interior – these statements are only my opinion. I hope I have not offended any owners of these vehicles.

The Compass on the other hand, looks a whole lot cooler than any of those other guys. The options are great – Sunroof, heated seats, Boston Acoustics stereo with sub, CVT II and the list goes on. In my opinion, this Compass looks cool and definitely has that Jeep look. I do however admit that it looks more like urban A to B car than a “real” Jeep…but this is what it was designed to be. Read: a real stable, safe and capable AWD compact SUV with Jeep attitude.

I am a 31 year old male, and I like this Compass’s styling. My girlfriend also likes it. I don’t find it too girly and she seems to think it’s got a macho look. Personally, I think that this could be due to the JEEP badge alone.

So, after looking at the other guys, I decided to join the Jeep family for the next four years – when I will then be able to purchase a “real” 4x4 Jeep. I hope you hardcore offroaders take a real good look at the Compass and admit that it isn’t all that bad.

Hopefully, you won’t soap my car when you see it  :lol.

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

phill8400,
Welcome to the small but growing group. , It's nice to hear of new owners. Sounds like you bought yours for the same reason that some of the rest of us did. It certainly does fit a niche.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
phill8400,
Welcome to the small but growing group. , It's nice to hear of new owners. Sounds like you bought yours for the same reason that some of the rest of us did. It certainly does fit a niche.
We're mostly dudes right??
Unread 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Oh no. Some of both. Some guys have logged in and said their wife's have one. Nobody likes the bobble head ads that I heard tell of but everybody loves their Jeep, car, truck, cute ute, etc, ect, etc. It's just a well fitted all around nice rig that's hard to beat for the standard features.

Got pics or info? Mine's in my profile, not sure about anybody elses.
Unread 10-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
phil8400

Quote:
Oh no. Some of both. Some guys have logged in and said their wife's have one. Nobody likes the bobble head ads that I heard tell of but everybody loves their Jeep, car, truck, cute ute, etc, ect, etc. It's just a well fitted all around nice rig that's hard to beat for the standard features.

Got pics or info? Mine's in my profile, not sure about anybody elses.
Only getting it this Friday.

I bought the Compass Sport (North) Black.
I got everything except the "Driver's convenience package" and heated seats. There really weren’t many to choose from unless you can wait.

A couple of things I can’t remember about it since I also test drove the Limited…

Does the lit Jeep logo (and door/gate ajar) appear under the speedometer in the non-Limited and without the Driver's convenience package??
Unread 10-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Can't answer that right now. I'll take a look tonight and see if the manual covers that. Maybe someone else will answer before I get back to you.
Unread 10-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Phil,
It looks like the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), which contains the door/tailgate ajar indicators is optional, either separately or part of the Driver Convenience Group. The manual only says "If Equipped".

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Regardless, it'll be like an early Christmas for you on Friday.

ENJOY!!

Oh, and NEVER apologize for owning a Jeep, even if it's an old postal unit. They're too!
Unread 10-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
Melanie

Hey Phil,

I'm one of the "chicks" here. I'm actually from outside the Windsor area, so it's nice to see another Canuck posting!

My Compass is still on order. Apparently, it's in "D" status, but from what I have been able to find online, that means absolutely nothing in terms of how long it will take to get here. All the dealerships in my area had Limiteds or basic Sports. (I'm not into flashy at all, but I couldn't handle manual roll-up windows.) And the Limited had more than I was looking for. So I went with the North package as well, and added on the sunroof, driver convenience group and the full size spare.

Gramps, can you tell me WHERE the info for the driver convenience group shows up on the dash? My uncle has a Caliber with the same equipment, but as far as I can tell, the instrument panel layout is a bit different between the Compass and Caliber.

Mel
2007 Compass North[/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
phil8400

Quote:
Phil,
It looks like the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), which contains the door/tailgate ajar indicators is optional, either separately or part of the Driver Convenience Group. The manual only says "If Equipped".

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Regardless, it'll be like an early Christmas for you on Friday.

ENJOY!!

Oh, and NEVER apologize for owning a Jeep, even if it's an old postal unit. They're too!
You have the Driver Convenience Group right? Does your Speedometer have the "Jeep" logo that lights up...and the door/gate ajar graphs? I'm just wondering if I will have this since I couldn't get the Driver Convenience Group.

Gauges with Gate Ajar:
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Jeep logo: (interior - 2nd picture)
http://www.jeep.com/en/compass/photos.html
Unread 10-19-2006, 04:55 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yup, I've got the Drivers Convenience Group. That area displays 20 different functions on 5 different screens, Door/Lift Gate Ajar is part of those functions. The only time the Jeep logo appears is when I'm starting her, otherwise it returns to the last screen that I set it on. We'll need to have someone else answer this one who has access to the standard dash, or maybe tomorrow you can tell us.

BTW, good write up by Allpar on the first link. I hadn't been in there in a while.

Unread 10-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie
Gramps, can you tell me WHERE the info for the driver convenience group shows up on the dash? My uncle has a Caliber with the same equipment, but as far as I can tell, the instrument panel layout is a bit different between the Compass and Caliber.

Mel
Mel,

Your right, totally different dash from the Caliber.

Go to the first link that Phil listed and the DCG info is where the Jeep logo is on the lower portion of the Speedo (scroll a little down the page to find it). I'll try and post some pictures tonight if you all would like, no "honey do's" on my list.

gramps

Phil and Mel,

What's a "North" package anyway?
Unread 10-19-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Melanie

Gramps, pictures would be great if you have a chance!

The Compass North is simply what DCX has chosen to call the Compass Sport with the E trim package up here in the Great White North. It's basically a sport model with the power group and a couple of extra features above and beyond the basic sport. If you go to the jeep.com website and build/price a Compass, you can choose the E package under the sport option to see what Phil and I are getting!

Mel
2007 Compass North[/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2006, 07:36 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Mel,
Sounds like a nice package! I wasn't going after the glitter either but "they made me an offer I couldn't refuse" and I'm not sorry that I took them up on it.
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie
Hey Phil,

I'm one of the "chicks" here. I'm actually from outside the Windsor area, so it's nice to see another Canuck posting!

My Compass is still on order. Apparently, it's in "D" status, but from what I have been able to find online, that means absolutely nothing in terms of how long it will take to get here. All the dealerships in my area had Limiteds or basic Sports. (I'm not into flashy at all, but I couldn't handle manual roll-up windows.) And the Limited had more than I was looking for. So I went with the North package as well, and added on the sunroof, driver convenience group and the full size spare.

Mel
Nice to hear from a fellow Canuck for sure
I hope you don't have to wait too long for yours. I will get mine tomorrow, so I should be able to chime in with some pics and more details.

What color are you getting? I went for the black because it was the only one we could find. It's not a buyers market right now that's for sure.

Ever make your way up to Ottawa?
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
phil8400

Quote:
Yup, I've got the Drivers Convenience Group. That area displays 20 different functions on 5 different screens, Door/Lift Gate Ajar is part of those functions. The only time the Jeep logo appears is when I'm starting her, otherwise it returns to the last screen that I set it on. We'll need to have someone else answer this one who has access to the standard dash, or maybe tomorrow you can tell us.

BTW, good write up by Allpar on the first link. I hadn't been in there in a while.

Aren't those features located in the HUD near the sunroof controls on the ceiling liner?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.