plastic engine cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > plastic engine cover

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Closed Thread
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
cmparsons05

plastic engine cover

Does anyone already know how to remove the engine cover from the 2.4L? I just don't want to break it when I change the spark plugs. I'm really looking forward to some engine dress up kits to hit the market, too. Any advice?

Unread 11-26-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I was told that the factory service manual was maybe coming out around Christmas time, that should help a lot of us on this stuff. If you take yours in to the dealer for an oil change, I'm sure you could ask one of the service guys. I asked them if they could put a Hemi in the back end for me the last time that I was in and they said "sure, but It would be a little longer than a half hour." I didn't have the time to wait. Maybe next time.

Gramps
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
cmparsons05

just wanted to know how to do it when it comes time to upgrade the ignition. I'll do it after about the 3rd oil change. Besides I was curious to see how difficult the plugs are to reach.
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

What kind of mods are you planning? NO2???

Gramps
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
cmparsons05

nope, just want to put in premium plugs and wires after the engine breaks in. no big deal, just preference. by the way, thanks gramps for the info on the service manual release.
Unread 11-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The number that my dealer gave me was 1-800-890-4038, that's where they get theirs. The lady that I talked with said "MAYBE in the November/December time frame" but don't hold her to it. That was the information that I had back in August.

Gramps
Unread 11-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
What kind of mods are you planning? NO2???

Gramps
NO2 is what comes out of your tailpipe, N2O is what goes in the front.
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
NO2 is what comes out of your tailpipe, N2O is what goes in the front.

DUH! Thanks!! CRS strikes again, or maybe it's Lyxdexia .

Last edited by Gramps; 11-28-2006 at 06:48 AM..
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
cmparsons05

I'm not a tech, I am sorry I bothered you, and what do you care if I upgrade my own personal private ignition system in my own personal private new jeep. And it was just an attempt to get a heads up on a piece of plastic I didn't want to break unnecessarily. But I'll tell you what I'll do... I'll just go ahead and break it, Then I'll let YOU know how to do it properly...
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmparsons05
I'm not a tech, I am sorry I bothered you, and what do you care if I upgrade my own personal private ignition system in my own personal private new jeep. And it was just an attempt to get a heads up on a piece of plastic I didn't want to break unnecessarily. But I'll tell you what I'll do... I'll just go ahead and break it, Then I'll let YOU know how to do it properly...
Everybody's got a motive for changing from stock. We're curious as to what your up to. I've modified my cup holder.

Gramps
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Jeez Kev, your posting while I'm typing. Is that the "twin sons of different mothers" thing again?
Unread 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Jeez Kev, your posting while I'm typing. Is that the "twin sons of different mothers" thing again?
Unread 11-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
casm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You know, I think this is all kind of a moot point to begin with. Note that I don't actually own a Compass, but from what I remember from lifting the hood on one a few weeks ago the following may be relevant (and if someone who does own one could kindly correct me if I'm off-base on any of this):

1) The Compass uses a coil-on-plug design that eliminates plug wires. I suppose you could pull the coil packs and respray them whatever colour you want them to be, but it would be kinda pointless because...

2) When you put the engine cover back on, it's going to obscure the view of your freshly-painted coil packs. You could simply toss the cover away after reinstalling them, but that would obviously ruin the oh-so-very desperately sought-after 'clean' underhood look.

However, I would like to make a recommendation for what colour to paint the coil packs if you do decide to take that route:

Unread 11-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #14
Kev M
2012 WK 

I can't confirm or deny that the Compass uses a direct ignition system, but it would make sense.

Unfortunately the Compass brochure is at work so there is no help there.

and I couldn't find anything detailing ignition components on the Jeep.com website.

Maybe I'll do a quick search and see if I can dig anything up.

But if true, it's a DAMN VALID point... sort of makes much of the rest moot.

Kev
Unread 11-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
casm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmparsons05
you're wrong b/c none of it is moot. Stupid
Okay, look. Here's your chance to prove me wrong (because it's really about proving everyone else here is wrong as opposed to listening to advice, right?) instead of slinging feeble insults and waiting for me to care. Go remove the cover, take a photo of the engine bay detailing the plug wires running to the plugs, and I'll admit I was wrong - much as I was willing to do in my original post.

If this is too difficult for you to do, find a competent adult to open the hood, remove the cover (hint: no tools required, from what I remember), take the picture, and post it somewhere where we can all see it. I'd suggest asking your husband to help with this endavour, but I could completely understand if he wanted no part of it based on how charming you've been towards everyone here.
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.