Patriots + Car Seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriots + Car Seat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
jbang45

Patriots + Car Seat

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and the patriot is at the top of my list. The one thing I'm concerned with is weather the rear seat is carseat friendly. My daughter is 8 months old so she'll be in the rear facing infant seat for a few more months. Does anyone have car seats in their patriots?

jbang45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
dangh
2008 MK Patriot 

I have two car seats in mine, one was rear facing until last week. There is plenty of room, even with the front seats pushed back.
dangh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Two qualifiers...first, I have the Compass and second, my daughter is 22...but I was impressed by the safety data.Crash test ratings are very good! You can argue that somethings about the Compass/Patriot are cheaper than some cars, Chrysler/Jeep didn't skimp on safety
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
jbang45

That's good to hear. We have a Camry and the car seat is tight in the back and my vehicle is a 2 dr explorer so anything will be an improvement over that. The patriot/compass seem to fit my criteria perfectly i'm looking in the used market so hopefully i can find one speced how I would like it for a decent price. Thanks for the help, hopefully i'll be posting pictures of my patriot in the next few weeks ;-)
jbang45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If you are tall and want the seat all the way back and reclined a few degrees then it will push the car seat. With that said, I'm 6'3" and 260 lbs. I have long legs but I can adjust the height, forward/backward position and then recline angle and still find a comfortable position to keep the little one in rear facing mode. By the law she is old enough to go forward facing but she doesn't seem to mind. I would like to keep her rear facing until we reach the weight maximum on the seat or she starts ripping the seat apart from hating the rear facing mode.

In another 4 weeks she will have a little brother to stare at ... what the heck was I thinking? Two blessings under 2 years of age?

Edit: I just swapped her seat to behind the drivers seat. It's a bit tight for me but I can find positioning to drive "comfortably" until she gets closer to 30 lbs which is the weight limit on our car seat in rear facing mode. I'm two clicks forward on the seat and it is positioned nearly vertical. I prefer a bit more angle in the back of my seat as it relieves the pressure on my hips. I always remind myself that this temporary. Soon they will be forward facing or in booster seats and then there is plenty of room.

One other note. There are only 4 LATCH points in the back seats. The two inside points are too wide apart for a seat in the middle and if you need two seats then you can't fit one in the middle and another in an outside position (I've measured and looked at it). Also, unless you are a very narrow person you would be hard pressed to sit between two car seats. With two car seats using the LATCH system you have to have them in the outboard positions since there is no room. With one seat you MIGHT be able to use the LATCH system in the middle but the attachment points are a bit far apart. Check with the seat manufacture owners manual as to what they recommend. If its a no go with them then to put a seat in the middle you will have to use the regular seat beat.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station

Last edited by usswasp; 06-05-2008 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: More information
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Congrats on the Mini-me's and thanks for the info!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

We just switched from the tiny-baby car seat (base plus seat) to the stand-alone seat (that can be rear-facing or front-facing). Our son is still 8 months old/about 20 pounds, so he's still rear-facing. The old seat was fine; the new one is REALLY tight (because it's bigger, and sits directly on the seat, instead of being raised by the base).

Moral of the story: take your car seat to the dealer and try it out. They're not all the same. I can't sit in the passenger seat anymore, and even my 5'2 wife is really cramped and often has to sit with her legs crossed in the seat because there's no room in footwell.

I don't think this is a Patriot problem...it's more of a function of how much space rear-facing seats can take up. We've had it in the other cars we've had too (except our Honda Element...that had amazing space). We're feeding our kid lots so he'll get heavy enough to face forward soon!
jessasfella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
acadian
2008 MK Patriot 

My son is almost 15 months old now, and he's in a forward-facing booster seat. It's a pretty big seat (Eddie Bauer) and it fits fine in the back seat of the Jeep.
acadian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
thudson331
1999 WJ 

We have one forward facing car seat. The cool thing is the adjusting backs of the rear seats. this allowed perfect fitment of the car seat.
thudson331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
willard
2007 MK Patriot 

I know this is old, but we just got a Bertini car seat, and I can't fit it behind me (6'2"), and as long as were are only going in town, it's fine for the wifey (5'6-8""). That's with the base installed, with just the seat, it's not to bad at all. This is in a 2007 Jeep Patroit
willard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

2 forward facing car seats work fine in our Patriot for our grandchildren. Our daughter might possibly get 1 booster seat and 2 car seats in the back of her GMC Envoy but it is gonna be tight. I think the size of the car seat has a lot to do with fitment solutions.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
car seats , compass , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.