Patriot's Capability vs. (blank) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot's Capability vs. (blank)

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
unclejjg

Patriot's Off-road Capability vs. (blank)

The Patriot is obviously no Wrangler. I guess we've established the Patriot is also not a Cherokee or a Liberty. So, what does a Patriot compare too?

Jeep has deemed it off-road worthy...take that with a grain of salt....yada, yada. So with what we know (19:1 ratio, 9" clearance, appr/depart/break-over, hill-descent, off-road anti-lock, traction control, "AWD/4WD-lo", 19" water fording, skid plates) what vehicles will the Patriot out-pace offroad?

Chevy Blazer 4x4?
Suzuki Grand Vitara ('06 to present) - check this one out before you answer.
Land Rover LR2 - again...check this one out, there is no low option
Ford SportTrac?
Ford Explorer?

Its obvious that the Patriot is suited for rougher stuff than a Forester, Tuscon, Escape, Compass, etc....but who cares? That's not saying much. How does it compare to the crawl ratio of a Blazer or that of an even lesser vehicle...the Grand Vitara? Do all the nicnaks on the LR2 (which include a modified version of the LR3's Terrain Control) outweigh the Patriots FDII?

Comments?

Last edited by unclejjg; 08-31-2006 at 04:00 PM..
unclejjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If it's offroad capability is less than that of a Liberty....... who cares what it compares to?

The days of complaining / comparing the off-raod capability of SUVs went away MANY years ago.

The Patriot is suited for the street, and any trail that you can run a Hyundai Santa Fe down (or Subaru, or whatever). If your aspirations are to go off-the-trail, pick a different vehicle.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
unclejjg

I think it could have valid credentials without being as good as the Liberty. It may be "just enough" or it may be a joke. Is a Chevy Blazer enough to take off-roads....maybe, but there are no skid plates for protection, and I'm not sure what type of crawl ratio to expect, etc.

Comparisons are the only way we can figure out where a new vehicle stands. I know my sister-in-law's old model Freelander was able to transverse some simple yet off-road paths at my cabin. We have 300 acres of land with varying trails, and I'd like to go a little further than she dared to go......Will the Patriot take me where a Landrover Freelander wouldn't? Will it take me where my '02 Blazer won't?

That is the idea of this thread....Wrangler, H3, FJ, Liberty, Xterra aside....is the Patriot better than the rest?
Unread 08-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
egalsim

At least a chevy blazer can be lifted since it still has a solid rear axle, I think the same may be true about the Grand Vitara. I guess you could compare the Patriot's off road ability with a Rav4 or Honda CRV, how about a Subaru Forrester?
egalsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #5
egalsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejjg
I think it could have valid credentials without being as good as the Liberty. It may be "just enough" or it may be a joke. Is a Chevy Blazer enough to take off-roads....maybe, but there are no skid plates for protection, and I'm not sure what type of crawl ratio to expect, etc.

Comparisons are the only way we can figure out where a new vehicle stands. I know my sister-in-law's old model Freelander was able to transverse some simple yet off-road paths at my cabin. We have 300 acres of land with varying trails, and I'd like to go a little further than she dared to go......Will the Patriot take me where a Landrover Freelander wouldn't? Will it take me where my '02 Blazer won't?

That is the idea of this thread....Wrangler, H3, FJ, Liberty, Xterra aside....is the Patriot better than the rest?

I would take the Chevy Blazer with a lift and 33's and add a rear locker and front limited slip, and 4.88 gears.
egalsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Patriot is probably going to be one of the more capable (most capable?) of the crossovers.

But UncJ - that's the key term.

Unless I missed something, everything you listed first was a truck based ute with solid rear axle (and probably fuel economy to match the heft of such traditional design utes, even the Suzuki, which I'm quite a fan of having had some adventures in my old Geo Tracker, is still a truck first and foremost and mileage reflects it).

The second list you posted, you answered your own question (Forresters, Tuscon, Escape, etc), the car-based, FWD/AWD platforms are typically more purposely built for the street. As such they are typically smaller and lighter and, to oversimplify, "less rugged"

But what limits them off-road is not poor build quality, but simple design limitations (ground clearance, breakover angles, suspension travel) and when it comes to the powertrain, the lack of locking differentials or 4-low capabilities.

The Patriot MIGHT POSSIBLY be the first crossover (unless I'm missing one in my head) SPECIFICALLY designed to bridge both gaps.

On road manners and mileage, with a decent amount of off-road-ability.

Of course, like any jack-of-all trades, it means compromises.

It won't outpace many or any of the traditional utes off-road.

But none of them are going to out-pace it on-road where 90%+ of all utes spend most of their time.

It all depends why you're buying it.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
unclejjg

Guys....I'm pretty sure you are looking at two fully independent suspension SUV/CUV in the new/current LR2 (freelander) and the new Grand Vitara.

We are not talking about the old Suzukis here.....like I said, take a look at them, and then do a comparison.

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ve...2/overview.htm

http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_06/grand_vitara/
Unread 09-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
unclejjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalsim
At least a chevy blazer can be lifted since it still has a solid rear axle, I think the same may be true about the Grand Vitara. I guess you could compare the Patriot's off road ability with a Rav4 or Honda CRV, how about a Subaru Forrester?

So am I to understand that the Patriot cannot be lraised because of the independent suspension, or will it simply be harder to find a lift/more expensive?
Unread 09-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anything can be lifted, if you have the $.

But now you're talking about something different. I can make a Honda Civic more off-raod capable then a stock Wrangler, given enough $.
Unread 09-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
88wagon

my question is why the hell did you buy a patriot when you have 300 acres of land to wheel on????
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Really, if you're looking to explore, buy whatever you want, and trailer an ATV up to your land.
Unread 09-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #12
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCNY
Really, if you're looking to explore, buy whatever you want, and trailer an ATV up to your land.
or buy a cheap beater truck for offroad?
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #13
pdxbubba
2006 KJ Liberty 

Jeep Patriot - FDII (trail rated version)
Running ground clearance......9.0"
Approach angle (degrees)......29
Departure angle (degrees).....33
Breakover angle (degrees).....23

Suzuki Grand Vitara
Running ground clearance......7.9"
Approach angle (degrees)......29
Departure angle (degrees).....27
Breakover angle (degrees).....(not listed)

Land Rover LR2 (all wheel drive only - no low range)
Running ground clearance......8.26"
Approach angle (degrees)......31
Departure angle (degrees).....34
Breakover angle (degrees).....(not listed)

I haven't looked at the price differences nor MPG's
Unread 09-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #14
Kev M
2012 WK 

I think you'll find that on similarly equipped models the Patriot is going to be less expensive, plus it will likey have the best mileage rating of the group if the Compass is any indication (though with FDII it's not quite as good as it is with FD and a 5-speed, but then you loose some off-roadability).
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #15
unclejjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wagon
my question is why the hell did you buy a patriot when you have 300 acres of land to wheel on????
They aren't available to buy yet....I'm just thinking about it.

Quote:
I've got three....looking to broaden my horizons.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.