Patriot Vs Wrangler (JK) Reliability? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Vs Wrangler (JK) Reliability?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Patriot Vs Wrangler (JK) Reliability?

So I'm really torn up between these two vehicles....

On the one hand, the Wrangler is just plain Cool, I would feel awesome driving it around, I'd be able to go off roading, etc....

On the other hand, the patriot would save me $1000 a year in gasoline, and with some mods i could make it look pretty bad ***. (Lift, Tires, bumpers, etc...)

for all practicality purposes, I'm really leaning toward the patriot... I can pick one up a limited for like $15,000 or better and the gas is wayyy cheaper....

Hows the reliability.. compared to the wrangler? Will I be saving money in that respect too?...

I'm probably better off sticking with a patriot for a couple years until the JK's have more time to depreciate and hit the used car market eh? I mean around me its hard to find one under 20k (with cruise / power windows, etc)

boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
critterjeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

wranglers don't depreciate a whole lot, at least not to this point. my advice would be this:

if you're planning to do a lift and new tires and bumpers...you're basically talking about capability modifications. and, you mentioned off-roading. i think you really would rather have a wrangler but are concerned about money. all i can say is that when i really wanted a pick up truck, i bought a large SUV instead because i found a good deal on it and it was nice, but it was not long that i was regretting that decision and got rid of it inside a year for a truck. i was poorer but happier. if you can swing it financially, buy what you really want and be happy. check into tj wranglers. i know i sound biased, but they are solid vehicles and you'll get more to your price range. i bet you could pick up an 05 or 06 for around 15K with not tons of miles.
2003 Rubicon (shale green/khaki), 33x12.5x15 BFG Mud KM2s on Pro Comp 8179s (Firestone Winterforce on stock Moabs for winter), Bilstein 5100s, 3" AEV (nth) Progessive coils, OME steering stabilizer, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift, JKS adj. track bar in the front, 1" JKS budget motor mount lift, RC quick discos, OR-Fab rear rock crawler bumper with 2" receiver, Rokmen 3/16" steering box skid plate, Rokmen rear frame tie-ins, Teraflex 3/16" heavy-duty oil pan skid plate, Alpine CDE-124SXM CD/sat radio MP3 player, Bestop sliding windows, Bestop Safari Bikini top (green military camo), Mopar "windjammer" rear window, Mopar "duster" tonneau cover with tailgate bar, Rockhard Full roll cage with full padding, KC slimlites long range/off road lights on KC windshield mounts, Tuffy security glove box, Pilot LED tail lights.
critterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjeep View Post
check into tj wranglers. i know i sound biased, but they are solid vehicles and you'll get more to your price range. i bet you could pick up an 05 or 06 for around 15K with not tons of miles.
Well stability control and side impact airbags are a must for me... After looking through the lift pics I'm thinking patriot again.... I mean im not going to be doing any rock crawling or deep deep mudding.. I have a camp up in the woods and the roads can get pretty bad (bottomed out my saab and took out the oil pan lol)... Nothing that AWD with TCS couldnt get me through. The wrangler was appealing because i could take the top off and its just bad *** LOL

Do they make any of these accessories yet? (bumper, roof rack)
boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
critterjeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well if you need those items, then a wrangler isn't for you i guess. i'm sure there's some sort of lift you get for the patriot to allow some bigger tires. not sure on the other stuff.
2003 Rubicon (shale green/khaki), 33x12.5x15 BFG Mud KM2s on Pro Comp 8179s (Firestone Winterforce on stock Moabs for winter), Bilstein 5100s, 3" AEV (nth) Progessive coils, OME steering stabilizer, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift, JKS adj. track bar in the front, 1" JKS budget motor mount lift, RC quick discos, OR-Fab rear rock crawler bumper with 2" receiver, Rokmen 3/16" steering box skid plate, Rokmen rear frame tie-ins, Teraflex 3/16" heavy-duty oil pan skid plate, Alpine CDE-124SXM CD/sat radio MP3 player, Bestop sliding windows, Bestop Safari Bikini top (green military camo), Mopar "windjammer" rear window, Mopar "duster" tonneau cover with tailgate bar, Rockhard Full roll cage with full padding, KC slimlites long range/off road lights on KC windshield mounts, Tuffy security glove box, Pilot LED tail lights.
critterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Gaze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon4376 View Post

Do they make any of these accessories yet? (bumper, roof rack)
Short answer, no.

Front and rear bumpers are in a development stage right now, but the entire front end is one piece which is challenging for designers. The rest of the items pictured on that SEMA Patriot are one off designs it would seem. There are a handful of aftermarket items available for the Patriot, but nothing like you'll find for the Wranglers.
Unread 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

i would much rather have a wrangler myself, in fact after i pay off the compass i'll start looking at wrangler's for a project. so that is my answer. oh and boon you reminded me a lotof the father from fiddler on the roof, just thought id let you know that
nick8387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

We have both in the family, 98 TJ and 07 MK (Compass 5-speed). The Wrangler's reliability has been outstanding so far -the only part that went bad was the steering fluid pump, if I remember correctly. And yes, driving the Wrangler in the woods is a lot of fun. But: for any highway driving in sone sort of comfort you'll need a hard top, and the suspension is definitely built for trails not streets . The Compass is smooth as can be, great for longer distances, very economical, and does light trails and fire roads easily. Definitely my pick, if I had to choose one.

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.