Patriot vs Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot vs Liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Patriot vs Liberty

I've been looking at my options. and which is better off road, a jeep liberty, or a patriot(trail rated)? Looking at the specs, the pat has a better ground clearance, and a departure angle. i know its smaller, and has less power, is that its off road weakness? i didn't see a package for the liberty that gives it better ground clearance.

aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Libby has a real Hi/Lo transfer case, is better 'out of the box' for off-rodding and can be modified even more with lots of aftermarket goodies. On the other hand the mpg sucks.

No matter how much ground clearance you have you will always find something bigger that you want to go over. Skid plates are a better answer and many of the Liberty's have those.

Several of the Liberty folks stop in here and I'm sure they can give you much more details on them.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Liberty is going to be the much better choice offroad. It has an actual low range transfer case, and a solid rear axle which will give you more suspension travel/articulation in the rear.

Also, if you plan on modifying it, there's much more for the Libby.

Patriot/Compass isn't really designed for offroad. You can do it, but a Libby is set up much better for it. It seems to me the Pat is in the lineup to compete with the likes of the CRV, Rav4, etc. Being a Jeep though, it DOES have to have some kind of offroad ability, so in that class of vehicle it's tops. But really no comparison to something with a solid rear and low range.

Keep in mind they're also different classes of vehicle, so it depends on what your main priorities are. The Pat is going to get better mileage and probably ride/drive better on the street, and the Libby is more trucklike but a solid offroader and maybe has more cargo room/towing ability.

And the Pat has more ground clearance on paper, but less in the real world. They measure ground clearance from the lowest point on the vehicle, which is normally the differentials. Being that the Pat is independant suspension front and rear, there's good clearance under the diffs. The Lib has a solid rear axle, so the differential hangs down lower. However, common sense driving negates any disadvantage from this.

For clearance you really want to look at how much there is under the rockers and transfer case, those are the important places. Picture it like this - the way clearance is measured on the specs you've seen, you could put a 6" lift on the Libby, and as long as you left the stock tires on it, the clearance measurement wouldn't change. Now in the real world, in that scenario, which one do you think would REALLY have the most useable clearance, despite the specs?

Oh, and are you looking to buy new or used? If used, also look at the Grand Cherokee, it's also very capable offroad.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.