Patriot Transmission Whine - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Transmission Whine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
CVTF+4 cost the dealer more than $40 for a gallon. It retails for like $25 a qt.
Then I got a deal I guess.

White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I checked my receipts when I got home and I paid $64.48 w/tax for a gallon of CVTF+4 at the dealer. Still under $25 a quart.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
Jeepguy44

Starting Recall Effort for Jeep Patriot Transmission Overheat

Hey guys, I'm working on getting Chrysler to address this problem on a larger scale--they wouldn't fix mine either...it's absolutely ridiculous. Share your story on (oneword): Jeep Patriot Transmission Overheat (dot) com
Jeepguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
d0t

JF011E DIY
The JF011E is a bit of a sad transmission. So much so Jeep is discontinuing them in the 2014 model year…from what I hear. Mine failed at 144k.
The whine comes from the failure of the Koho bearings on the transfer gear as a result of a lack of lubrication. The noise gets louder until the debris from the bearings fills the filter reducing the fluid pressure producing a P700 or P777 code giving you limp mode. The TCM code cannot be reset without the factory interface. An $80 service charge.
Chrysler, as of yet, supplies no parts for these transmissions. If you are out of warranty you are SOL.
I got mine from a wrecker. $1200. I was fortunate as it was the only one in a 500km radius. This should tell you something.
The difficult bolts to reach are at 9 and 3 O’clock on the bell housing. You might want a fresh 14mm wrench as striping them reduces your options.
If there is damage to the bearings but not the case you could get lucky by replacing the bearings. My Patriot was not as fortunate as the case was destroyed.
Free manuals are available on line, after some searching.
I know this will help some and put others into despair.
I replaced mine then sold the car.
Cheers; Glenn
jf011es.jpg

p1010582s.jpg

p1010583s.jpg

Last edited by d0t; 10-07-2013 at 06:59 PM..
d0t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
reba8

Thanks to the User 2600844. My 2008 jeep is making a high pitch whine too and the dealer said thar since I didn't our jade warranty it would cost about three thousand to fix the cvt. When I bought it used they promised that the cvt is warranted until 100,000 miles. Depending on how this ends I may never buy a jeep again.
reba8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Take it to a Nissan dealer, They actually fix the cvt vs just replace. They use the same unit in a lot of their cars.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
hakujin

same problem. glad to finally have pinpointed the problem. best example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOX-ufuwYiE

only 33k miles on my 2011 Pat FDII. I've read the CVT fluid replacement nor the (oil) cooler solves the problem. i have a service appt scheduled friday, but it seems a wash; i'm over my 3 year (not that it matters as they're ghetto and will invariably pinpoint a knee jerk remedy not covered); definitely not going to pay their $150 charge to diagnosis (insult to injury).

so for me, it's intermittent, only when hot and especially uphill climb, like clockwork. what's best course of action? I'm thinking I will sell this lemon and never look at a Patriot again; whole GD point of FDII was climbing. But this broken CVT kinda rules that out.

not much update at j33p patriot dot transmissionoverheat dot com
hakujin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
hakujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Take it to a Nissan dealer, They actually fix the cvt vs just replace. They use the same unit in a lot of their cars.

nissan really knows how to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reba8 View Post
Thanks to the User 2600844. My 2008 jeep is making a high pitch whine too and the dealer said thar since I didn't our jade warranty it would cost about three thousand to fix the cvt. When I bought it used they promised that the cvt is warranted until 100,000 miles. Depending on how this ends I may never buy a jeep again.
so what happened? thx
hakujin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.