Patriot Transmission Whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Transmission Whine

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
mechetti
1980 CJ7 

Patriot Transmission Whine

I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot with a CVT and 52,000 miles. On my way back from the coast last weekend, the transmission started making a high pitched whine. Then the car started to lose power and eventually the oil transmission temp light came on. As I pulled off the freeway, the whine got very loud as I was slowing down. I stopped at a gas station and let the car rest for 30 minutes. I got back in and everything worked perfectly for the rest of the way home.

Yesterday I took it to the dealership in town and they want $400 for a transmission service (Oil, filter change). They indicated that the oil was scorched and was foaming. They also suggested I install a cooler to the tune of $800 to avoid this issue again. I am pissed because I have a lifetime powertrain warranty and I don't think I should have to install a cooler on my dime for what seems to me to be a design flaw.

Has anyone had this issue before?

mechetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I definately agree you shouldn't have to pay a dime to get it to work properly. Hopefully that warranty will cover it.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Your transmission shouldn't need service until at least 64,000 miles or four years, and even then only if its used for frequent towing or lots of in-city stop and go. If not used for towing or nothing but city, the fluid should last up to around 120,000 miles or 7.5 years according to the maintenance schedule.

And unless you're towing, you shouldn't need the cooler.

I'd shop around for a fluid/filter change. I've seen fluid and filter changes go for half as much as they quoted you, or even cheaper, from reputable car maintenance shops. Just make sure its a reputable shop, and keep the receipt to prove to the dealership that it was done if they ever ask. If you continue to have problems after a fluid/filter change, then take it to a $tealership and see what they say.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Just received a flyer in the mail from the Dodge/Chrysler dealership that I bought my pickup from. $129.95 for a Transmission "Tune-Up" which they define as new filters, new fluid, and adjustments if necessary. "Special fluids may be higher" is cited, which probably means they'd charge a little more for CVT fluid as opposed to ATF+4. However, I highly doubt the little extra here or there would add up to much over $200 (if that), let alone $400.
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Whats the normal MX schedule for transmission tuneup? I think the Patriot says do Diff fluid around 64k or 4 years. Dont know about tranny.
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

The CVT is the same in the Patriot and Compass, so I'm assuming it'd be the same service intervals (see my first post in this thread).
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Oh yeah. I did read that yesterday :-/
Unread 08-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
mechetti
1980 CJ7 

Apparently the CVT case is sealed, so they have to drop the pan just to change the fluid. Fluid is $40/quart.

I filed a claim with Chrysler because service is not supposed to be required until 100,000 miles.

I should find out today.
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

$40 a quart? Holy buckets. I did a quick search and did find some places online selling the correct Mopar CVT+4 fluid for about $25 or a little less per quart. Still, wow thats expensive compared to the ATF+4.

Good luck with the claim, let us know how it turns out.
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
mechetti
1980 CJ7 

Settled with Chrysler and agreed to pay $100. Basically I am picking up the wholesale fluid cost and they are covering all the labor, etc. Nice that some companies still honor their warranties. I thought this was pretty fair considering the situation.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Patri0tP0wer

mechetti:

I see that this post hasn't been active in almost a year, however I am curious as to how your situation turned out. Once the cooler was installed did you have any further problems? I have been experiencing the same issue with the overheating (repeatedly) and am looking for all causes/solutions. I had just recently had the transmission service performed in hopes of resolving the problem, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance
Patri0tP0wer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
millward137

same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechetti View Post
I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot with a CVT and 52,000 miles. On my way back from the coast last weekend, the transmission started making a high pitched whine. Then the car started to lose power and eventually the oil transmission temp light came on. As I pulled off the freeway, the whine got very loud as I was slowing down. I stopped at a gas station and let the car rest for 30 minutes. I got back in and everything worked perfectly for the rest of the way home.

Yesterday I took it to the dealership in town and they want $400 for a transmission service (Oil, filter change). They indicated that the oil was scorched and was foaming. They also suggested I install a cooler to the tune of $800 to avoid this issue again. I am pissed because I have a lifetime powertrain warranty and I don't think I should have to install a cooler on my dime for what seems to me to be a design flaw.

Has anyone had this issue before?

mechetti - i thought I was reading my story just now - same exact thing happened to me. Read my post here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/h...l#post15655106

FYI, all of this was under warranty, not a dime came out of my pocket. If you paid that cash would go straight in the dealers pocket as they get paid from the manufacturer.

Last edited by millward137; 07-08-2013 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Added some info
millward137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechetti View Post
Apparently the CVT case is sealed, so they have to drop the pan just to change the fluid. Fluid is $40/quart.

I filed a claim with Chrysler because service is not supposed to be required until 100,000 miles.

I should find out today.
I paid around $40 for a gallon jug at the dealer when I did mine.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
user2600844

My 2012 Jeep Compass CVT Transmission Overheats, High Pitch Whine Noise, High RPM

My Jeep Compass Does the same.
Everyone with this problem needs to call Chrysler Customer Service 1 800 334 9200 and report it, as CVT Transmission overheats, slows down, High RPM, and high pitch noise. The more we call the more they will look into it. Also ask them if there has been any others with similar problems on their computer, if they say no, they are lying. Tell them to look into the last 8 VIN number
CD588748 , which is my vehicle, and then ask them why they are lying? We need to all come together on this. I know they are lying, because there are youtube videos and forum complaints. Now you know why they are replacing them on the 2014 models.

If anyone has fixed this, or comlained about it through the dealer or by calling Chrysler, please post any and all information of your last 8 VIN, reference #, dealer, ect. so we can all reference off of it. Thank you.
user2600844 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeilis View Post
I paid around $40 for a gallon jug at the dealer when I did mine.
CVTF+4 cost the dealer more than $40 for a gallon. It retails for like $25 a qt.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.