JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Patriot Trans / Diff svc DIY (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-trans-diff-svc-diy-879686/)

Gav'spurplez 10-15-2009 08:28 AM

Patriot Trans / Diff svc DIY

Has anyone serviced their 4x4 and / or transmission themselves ?

My g/f has a 2007 patriot with 33K miles, just replaced the front brakes,
and i figured come spring time, it may be time for some further maintenance.

looks like the cvt trans has a pan, but no actual fill tube / dipstick....
...i'm used to "older" school vehicles where maintenance can be done yourself.....

any suggestions / experiences would be great.

thanks in advance

Gramps 10-15-2009 08:50 AM

You've got some time. Those aren't on the maintenance schedual until you hit 60K. I'm at 51K and I'll look into it.

That sounds kind of early on the brakes. Was there a problem?

Gav'spurplez 10-15-2009 09:09 AM

no, although she does do a good amount of highway driving, she does do alot of stop and go driving in the city ( getting her masters @ dePaul univ )

She doesn't drive harsh, they were too close to try and make it through the winter.... and i didnt want to be changing brakes in the garage in "teen" temperatures.....

Gramps 10-15-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav'spurplez (Post 8108525)
She doesn't drive harsh, they were too close to try and make it through the winter.... and i didnt want to be changing brakes in the garage in "teen" temperatures.....

I hear you on that!!:thumbsup: It's actually that warm down there?

Gav'spurplez 10-15-2009 03:11 PM

haha, not really..... mid 40s today.... avg high for this time is still 63....

63 would feel like summer again compared to this mid 40 rainy muck we are going through....

eh,

vulcanbmk2 10-29-2009 02:12 PM

he CVT fluid change is not DIY servicable Item--You need a special Dip/Thermo stick & of course the the special rubber infused fluid. This fluid only needs changing every 60,000 miles if exposed to really harsh conditions or driving styles,If not its in for the life of the transmission. ( they have even left the A & B Schedule ( Normal & harsh conditions ) out of the 09/10 owners handbook...so I wouldnt worry about it!! The trans itself is NON repairable, the only fix is a brand new unit.

schoat333 10-29-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulcanbmk2 (Post 8194162)
he CVT fluid change is not DIY servicable Item--You need a special Dip/Thermo stick & of course the the special rubber infused fluid. This fluid only needs changing every 60,000 miles if exposed to really harsh conditions or driving styles,If not its in for the life of the transmission. ( they have even left the A & B Schedule ( Normal & harsh conditions ) out of the 09/10 owners handbook...so I wouldnt worry about it!! The trans itself is NON repairable, the only fix is a brand new unit.

The belt can be replaced in the trans which is really the only wear item. .

The time now is 02:15 AM.