Patriot Trailer Lighting Module Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Trailer Lighting Module Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
rktmanfj
2009 MK Patriot 

Patriot Trailer Lighting Module Problem

I have an '09 Patriot Sport, and last year added a trailer lighting from etrailer.com. I had trouble with it right away (been several months, I cannot remember exactly what it was) and etrailer sent a new kit, which worked fine, until now.

I went to use the trailer this weekend, and had no brake lights on the trailer, and the taillights and left TS worked okay. The right TS worked okay on the Jeep, but would flash the left TS on the trailer. There are no obvious wiring defects on the trailer, and I confirmed this with my other vehicle. I have traced the wiring on the Jeep back to the module, and it all appears to be fine. I used one of the plug-in modules on the Jeep, and got the same results as with the trailer. All the lights on the Jeep work fine.

The trailer has a one year old lighting system, and is all LED, so I know there are no overload issues.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring would be greatly appreciated. I was planning to use this setup for a trip this week, but now I dunno.

rktmanfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

These kinds of problems are usually a ground problem on the trailer lights. I just got threw something similar on a new set up with the magnetic lights made in China. Mine was a slightly different, all of the lights worked fine until I hit the brakes and then everything quit if the headlights were on. There wasn't a good enough ground circuit to carry the load from all of the lamps. The first problem that I ran into was that the ground wire going from one side to the other was broken inside the light housing, the second was the socket to hold the bulb in (old style, not LED) was not swedged correctly so I used some JB Weld to epoxy it in place and make the connection. They worked fine for a while and then quit in route back home and then one of the cheap *** bulbs burned out and I also found the spade connector inside one of the lights was loose. I finally soldered all of the connections and all work fine now.

Since the TIPM is letting everything work fine on the Patriot I would say you can eliminate that from the problem. The reason that the trailer lights could work on another vehicle is that they don't run threw a TIPM that reads the voltage and accepts the reduced flow of current (doesn't read it as wrong). It still could be the etrailer module but since it works on others that doesn't sound likely either.

I hope this helps, electrical problems a pain to find sometimes.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
rktmanfj
2009 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the reply, Gramps...

I went out this am and picked up the Mopar trailer harness and installed it.

So far, so good... and it's pretty much plug-n-play, eliminating the power feed from the battery. My tester says it all is good, but I haven't hooked up the trailer yet. I did check it out with a DMM and found no ground faults with it.

I'll hook up the trailer this evening after work and report back.

Thanks again for the reply!

Randy T
Indy
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well.

I had a wire harness installed by the dealship. The trailer brake lights and running lights would not work but the turn signals worked fine. The trailer lights worked fine when hooked up to both my truck and my fathers truck so I knew the issue was not with the trailer. I took it into the dealership and they said it was an issue with the TIPM which they replaced. I got the Jeep home, hooked it up to the trailer, and still had the exact same issue. That's when someone on this forum said there was a small tag wire that had to be clipped if the harness was installed on an '09 Patriot (which it clearly states in the directions) that did not have to be clipped on the older models. I could have done this myself but at that point I was feeling a little stubborn and beligerent so I printed out the instructions and handed them to the tech at the dealership. From the look on his face he clearly had never seen them before.

The dealership would not admit that was the issue when I went back to pick up the Jeep but I've never had a problem with the lights since.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
rktmanfj
2009 MK Patriot 

Hmmm... thanks for that!

The harness I got was for a Town and Country (same # was in the book for both). Where is / which wire needs to be cut?
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's a link to the instructions. Go to figure 24A.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209280AC.pdf

Unread 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
rktmanfj
2009 MK Patriot 

Okay Gramps, thanks for the link!

The TOC kit does not have the power from the engine compartment like that kit does. It just plugs into the taillights.

I have been using the trailer all morning, and it all seems to be working fine.

It may just be because I have all LED trailer lights or not. I'm not complaining...

Randy T
Indy
Unread 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
rktmanfj
2009 MK Patriot 

Reporting back...

Well, about one hour into my vacation trip, a wheel bearing went out on my trailer with the LED lighting, so I limped it back home and got a rental with conventional lighting. I used that trailer for about a week with no issues whatsoever, so i consider my wiring issues to be resolved.
Unread 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry about your trailer bearing but glad the wiring is worked out. Always something, isn't it?

Unread 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
rktmanfj
2009 MK Patriot 

Yeah, it ended up costing me a day of vacation, but I didn't end up stranded along the road far away from home, so it's all good...

Tags
compass , electrical , ground , mk , patriot , tipm , trailer lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.