Patriot trailer hitch issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot trailer hitch issue

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
bluepatriotman

Patriot trailer hitch issue

Does anyone else have this problem? I installed a Drawtite trailer hitch (because I didn't want to pay for an overpriced Mopar hitch). The hitch installed with no problems. But immediately after install here's what started happening. After about 10 minutes into a drive on the freeway, there's engine sound coming from the rear of the vehicle-sounds like when a car has a bad muffler. So I realized that the muffler and tailpipe were rubbing against the back of the hitch. It happens on the freeway at 70mh or over when accellerating. But sometimes at 60mph or more. So I took it in to a hitch shop and they bent the bars forward that hold the muffler to the frame so that the muffler is further away from the rear of the car. This worked for a week or so but now it's back. I'm about to take it to them again to have them move it further away from the rear. Seems like a manufactures defect-putting the muffler so close to the back that you can't put a hitch on it without this happening. The muffler also seems very big in comparison to other Jeeps.

Certainly I'm not the only one who has installed a hitch and had this problem.

bluepatriotman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I would say the the defect lies with Drawtite and not Jeep. The factory hitch fits just fine.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
bluepatriotman

I still think that it's a flaw in the design of the car. I mean, a good aftermarket hitch should fit without problems and I haven't heard of any issues with this same hitch and same part number on a Compass.

Anyway, the bottom line is this. It's true, the OEM (Mopar) is the only one that I know of that works. So, if there are any Patriot owners out there that want a hitch, don't waste your time with an aftermarket hitch. You have to get the Mopar. It's not as expensive as I was originally quoted from the salesperson at the dealership when I bought the car-go figure. It is $189. plus $75 labor. (This doen't include wiring) But If you're using it only for a bike rack, you don't need that.
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Anyone have a part number my dealership wanted to send me to Uhaul because they don't install hitches
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Never Mind I found the part numbers
82208815 Hitch Receivers 1,500-lb tow rating, 150-lb tongue weight rating, 1 1/4 opening, Hitch Ball & Ball Mount sold separately $183.00 $183.00

82209280 Hitch Receivers, Wiring Harnesses - Trailer Towing Packages Complete Harness, 4-way flat trailer connector, plugs directly into the vehicle wiring, no splicing required $113.00 $113.00
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
luffy

I purchased a Draw-tite hitch (2" receiver) and installed it my self for less than $120. Curently I have 13k on the patriot and not one noise from the hitch / muffler area.

Her - 07 SRT-8
"For Play"
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
bluepatriotman

That's interesting. Maybe it's something about my Patriot. The dealership didn't say anything about it though. And as soon as the Mopar was put on the problem stopped. There is a big difference in clearance with the Mopar.
Unread 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Do you have to cut the bumper to install the hitch?
Unread 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
bluepatriotman

Yes, the bumper has to be cut for the mopar. It comes with directions and a template but I decided to let the service department do the install. I didn't want to take the chance of screwing up my new Patriot.
Unread 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
luffy

You have to cut the bumper for the Mopar hitch. However you do not have to cut the bumper for the Drawtite hitch.

Her - 07 SRT-8
"For Play"
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
geenee

Trailer hitch noise

I Just installed the same hitch, and at speed I got the same rumbling noise. I checked and the plastic cowling/bumper rests on (or very near)the flat section of the hitch assembly. I jammed a 2inch square of plastic foam packing 1/2 inch thick (with goop on the hitch side) between the hitch assembly and the plastic cowling. Problem solved
geenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
phonegunner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished installing a modified factory hitch ... it sits up real nice and tight out of the way... and yes you do have to cut the bumper .. following the template...

The modification is we cut out the dinky little receiver (1 1/4") and replaced it with a 2" receiver... set it to where it is no higher than the factory .. so only the receiver hangs about an inch lower ...

Not really planning on towing anything ... just using it for bike rack and the carry basket and also for the picnic table that goes in the receiver ... everything for all the vehicles is 2" no need for an adapter now...

Also it does give at least some option for a recover point if'n it ends up in a ditch ...

Ted...
2005 TJ Wrangler X (now with the oldest daughter)
2006 KJ Liberty Renegade (the work vehicle)
2007 MK (or is that mmmmmk?) Compass Limited (the wifes 4x4 daily driver)
phonegunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
Ronster
2008 MK Patriot 

Hmmm...I'm considering having a Mopar hitch installed as well but if they have to cut the bumper, I might as well have the Park Assist added. And hell, since I'm there, might as well have a rear-view camera installed. Any ideas as to how much this will cost? Sorry if this is beginning to go off topic.
Ronster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
silverone

I had interference between the right end of the hitch and the tailpipe. Ground away about 5/16 on the hitch, painted it and no more noise. It seems like the flexible exhaust hanger softened when it was hot, and that's when the noise was loudest. My 2'' Hidden hitch fit without cutting the bumper or making the frame holes larger. It doesn't hang lower than the muffler either.
silverone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.