Patriot Trail Rated Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Trail Rated Questions

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
goose1

Patriot Trail Rated Questions

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how Jeep builds the Patriot to be Trail Rated. More directly, I was hoping to figure out how they add the additional inch of ground clearance to the vehicle straight from the factory. Do they use longer shocks and springs or is it just spacer-like a RR kit? If they use the first, can I get that through the dealership or would I have to go to a justforjeeps.com or something like that?

I really like the Patty, but I was hoping to tweak it to the best stock look it can get. I should get the new wheels/tires for the Patty today or tomorrow. The dealership didn't have any 17s in the shop and are having to order them. Weird...

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The first thing to do is look at the MK Parts Book. You can get it here at nearly,normals site: http://www.nearlynormal.biz/jeep/patriot_info.html Down load it and save it. Once you have it you can go through the front and rear suspension, transaxle and rear axle sections and you’ll find that the only major component differences are the following:

Transaxle, CVT2 vs CVT3 (2L)

Front half shafts – may be a different spline to match the transaxle (likely) or a different length (not likely).

Rear Axle Assembly – different gear ratio (likely) or different mounting (not likely).

Electronic Coupling

Clip for rear axle vent tube for FD II only (water fording).

Transmission Control Module.

Rear Lower Control Arm – has extra bracing. See pics 3rd post, last picture http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-limited-fd-ii-test-drive-402333/

If you fully scroll down threw ALL of the pages just keep an eye on the BODY and TRANS headings looking for anything that is EXCLUSIVELY for BODY 74 (Patriot) and DAW (Cont.Var. w/Off-Rd Crawl Ratio Tran) and you’ll find what makes up the FD II package. What you will NOT find a difference in is springs, shocks, struts or any other suspension components including spacers. The codes such as SDC, SDE, SDF, ZFR, ZUR, ZFS etc. are different pieces for different engines, transmissions, FWD, A/C etc.

Having said all that and if you’ve made it this far the answer that you’re looking for is:

The FWD Patriot has 8.0’ gc
The FD I Patriot has 8.5” gc
The FD II Patriot has 9.0” gc because of a .7” taller tire = .35” more gc.
Now I do know my math, that’s only 8.85 gc
How about +.15” for marketing hype. Engineering tells them “about 1”, the first draft of the sales brochures drops the “about” and the final comes out with “a full 1” over the standard Patriot. Sounds like good PR work to me.
Figures don’t lie but I do expect to catch some flak on this. That’s why I had to put in all of the stuff from the parts manual.

Additional input is welcome!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.