Patriot Tow Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Tow Capacity

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
wkincaid428

Patriot Tow Capacity

I own a 2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 with the 2.4L Automatic engine. I have a few questions about the tow capacity which I haven't been able to get a good answer from my dealer or Jeep on.

1. Is the Freedom Drive II package REQUIRED to have a 2000lb towing capacity?

2. I do not have Freedom Drive II. If I get the Trailer Tow Package upgrade, does my tow capacity go up to 2000lbs?

3. Is the 2000lb tow capacity strictly just the trailer weight and its contents? Or is it the combined weight of the vehicle contents, trailer, and trailer contents?

4. Do they have anything figured in to the 2000lb towing capacity? For example, do they assume the weight of 1-2 adults in the vehicle therefore that weight is excluded from the 2000lb towing capacity?

5. Can you explain max. payload vs max tow capacity?

Thanks in advance for any help!

wkincaid428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkincaid428 View Post
I own a 2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 with the 2.4L Automatic engine. I have a few questions about the tow capacity which I haven't been able to get a good answer from my dealer or Jeep on.

1. Is the Freedom Drive II package REQUIRED to have a 2000lb towing capacity?

2. I do not have Freedom Drive II. If I get the Trailer Tow Package upgrade, does my tow capacity go up to 2000lbs?

3. Is the 2000lb tow capacity strictly just the trailer weight and its contents? Or is it the combined weight of the vehicle contents, trailer, and trailer contents?

4. Do they have anything figured in to the 2000lb towing capacity? For example, do they assume the weight of 1-2 adults in the vehicle therefore that weight is excluded from the 2000lb towing capacity?

5. Can you explain max. payload vs max tow capacity?

Thanks in advance for any help!
1) - If you don't have FDII then FDII is irrelevant to the discussion. Let's concentrate on what you do have which is an FDI.
__________________________________________________ ________

2) - All you need to tow 2000lbs is to add the oil cooler kit that is offered through MOPAR at the dealer. It takes coolant and runs it through hoses to an adapter plate that attaches to your motor where the oil filter goes( the OF will screw onto the cooler after install )to cool the oil and thus the motor. The cooler kit is model specific but your local dealer can order you the right one.

NOTE - unless you are at least somewhat mechanically inclined, with at least a medium skill level on DIY things like this, I would let the dealer or an independent mechanic shop install the cooler kit. You want it installed right plus it will be messy( coolant drain ). Should cost you about $300 or a little less for the kit installed even at a dealer( was $275 for me ).

DON'T get the MOPAR hitch and wiring. It is too expensive, it is hard(er) to install( wiring ), and the hitch is a class II that only has a 1.25" receiver. Get an aftermarket class III hitch. While the class III doesn't increase tow capacity on a Patriot over the MOPAR class II hitch it is a more rugged hitch overall plus it will use a 2" receiver that has more options for you.

You may want to have the hitch installed, regardless of what one you get( MOPAR or aftermarket ), as you will have to have the rear bumper fascia( black plastic lower trim part )cut to allow the hitch to be exposed. Also, while the hitch can be installed in the yard using a jack and stands from your back it is much easier on a lift. I gladly paid my body guy $100 to do it. Well worth it. The end result was neat and factory appearing as well( i.e. cut out ).

For wiring get the Drawtite T-ONE harness kit. Super easy to install and works just fine. There is even a power source hidden at the back that is already fused off the fuse box( it is where the OEM trailer harness hooks )that you can tap into and not have to run wires to the front at all. I did mine that way back in 2011 when I got my Pat and it is still working just fine.

I actually got my hitch and wiring off e-bay. It was a Reese hitch( same as Drawtite )w/ the T-ONE wiring harness. It was $160 shipped. There are a TON of similar deals on E-Bay right now. Many brands. Prices range from low $130's( doesn't include shipping )to about $180( with shipping ). The most widely offered kit seems to be using Curt hitches and wiring. Curt hitches are fine but I don't like their wiring as much as the Drawtitie T-ONE. IMO look for a kit with the T-ONE kit. The Curt one will work just fine too though.

NOTE - avoid the kits that have the standard ball mount with them. You need a ball mount that has more rise than the ones they include unless your trailer sits about 2" off the ground. Get the hitch and wiring kit only. After it is installed get your ball mount so that it is the right height for your trailer. This is crucial for towing safety, proper load balance, and proper tongue weight. The trailer needs to sit flat and level not be nose down or nose up( a little nose down is ok ).
__________________________________________________ __________

3) - the 2000lbs means the combined weight of the trailer itself, whatever is on it( i.e., boat, motorcycle, snowmobile, etc... ), and whatever gear may be in whatever is on the trailer. I will use my boat as an example for you....

Trailer Weight: 410 lbs
Boat Weight: 638lbs
Motor Weight: 225lbs
Duck Blind Weight: 100lbs
Gear Weight( battery, gas tank, tools, oars, decoys, fishing gear, etc... ): 300lbs +/-
Total = 1673 lbs

That is how you figure the weight. It is everything being towed added up. Also the approx. 1700lbs I tow is definitely pushing the limit. I towed a 1900lbs boat setup to a kids fishing derby for a sponsor and I definitely knew it was back there. The 2000lbs max capacity is a real max # not some made up one. Don't exceed it.
__________________________________________________ _________

4) - 2 adults in the vehicle and a little gear is not going to really impact max towing capacity. However, don't have 5 adults and the cargo area loaded to the roof with 800-900lbs either. If you max out the payload( see #5 below )it does mean you should back off on what you are towing.
__________________________________________________ _________

5) - Max Towing Capacity is just that, it is the maximum combined weight you can tow on the trailer( including the weight of the trailer ). Max Payload Capacity is referring the maximum combined weight you can haul inside the vehicle in the cargo area which technically includes the weight of people but that is seldom figured in by folks. Max Payload on a Patriot varies by engine size, trans it is equipped with, and if FWD or 4WD. Anywhere from 1130lbs to 1320lbs.

Hope this helps you out.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
wkincaid428

NHPATRIOT,

First off, thank you very much for your explanation/help. It was the most detailed and seemingly accurate info I've got so far from anyone.

I called the dealer I purchased this from and Jeep twice and got 3 different answers. The dealer told me if I didn't have the FDII package the towing capacity is 1000lbs no matter what. The first Jeep agent told me that I can tow 2000lbs max and the payload was around 1300lbs max so I could do a theoretical 3300lbs with towing plus cargo. The second Jeep agent told me she had no idea and they weren't trained to answer these kind of questions. A bit frustrating. Initially, I was under the impression everything you said was correct. I just wanted someone with knowledge (which I thought would be the dealer and/or Jeep) to confirm before spending the money.

The reason I'm asking is because my fiance and I are interested in buying a popup camper to be towed by the Patriot. We are looking at a small popup (8' box and 1300lbs unloaded). I want to be sure that the Patriot, with the oil cooler, would be able to tow the camper and our gear (mainly just clothing, coolers, tools, small amount of firewood, food, etc. Enough for a weekend) for our camping trips. Do you think this is feasible? I know other people are doing it with Patriots but just want to confirm.

A few questions on the things you said:

1. If all I need is the oil cooler, what does the Trailer Tow Group for the Patriot include?

2. I was wondering about that because on the Jeep website for the towing capacity it says Class I - Light Duty. I wasn't sure if you could get a higher duty class of hitch and it would be a bit more durable/secure. I realize it doesn't up the towing capacity but it seems like it might be more sturdy (I know nothing about vehicles). Can you post a link to the hitch/wiring you would recommend?

3. I'll ask the camper dealer this as well but what class hitch do you need for a popup?

4. So am I correct in saying that if the max towing is 2000lbs and the max payload is 1300lbs I can have a up to 1300lbs in the vehicle as well as up to 2000lbs being towed simultaneously? I would never come close to this as I realize it's a bad idea but I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

I think I'll be OK, I just want to be sure. Camper is 1300lbs unloaded and we have a few hundred pounds of gear (Probably between 300-500lbs). But that gear can be dispersed between inside the Patriot and inside the camper. Plus 2 passengers (about 300lbs total). There are some steep inclines, will that Patriot be able to handle that? How many RPMs can I expect the Patriot to be cranking at going up a fairly steep incline towing/carrying what I described above.

I realize I'm looking for a lot of info here and I appreciate everyones help. I'm not auto savy and as I said I am getting conflicting stories from the resources I used.

Thanks again!
wkincaid428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
greenmohawk
2008 MK Compass 

Your max tow rating at 2000 lbs + 1300lbs payload is like saying the maximum amount of mass your engine can pull/brakes can stop. so the engine and brakes can safely move/stop 3300lbs.

going back to the payload number, this is the maximum amount of mass your frame/suspension/tires can support. the tongue weight of the trailer adds towards your payload, and no the 1300lbs payload does not include things such as 2 passengers etc.

so assuming your 2000lb trailer has a perfect 60/40 weight distribution (60% forward of axle, 40% behind) then roughly you can assume your hitch will be carrying 20% of the trailer weight. 20% of 2000lbs is 400lbs. that leaves 1300lbs - 400lbs = 900lbs of payload for inside the vehicle. take away 300lbs for yourself + passenger leaves 600lbs of payload remaining.

so yes you can haul 3300lbs total but only if your trailer exerts zero weight on your hitch which isn't likely, more conservative total haul number would be 2900lbs assuming perfect trailer weight distribution.
greenmohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkincaid428 View Post

A few questions on the things you said:

1. If all I need is the oil cooler, what does the Trailer Tow Group for the Patriot include?

2. I was wondering about that because on the Jeep website for the towing capacity it says Class I - Light Duty. I wasn't sure if you could get a higher duty class of hitch and it would be a bit more durable/secure. I realize it doesn't up the towing capacity but it seems like it might be more sturdy (I know nothing about vehicles). Can you post a link to the hitch/wiring you would recommend?

3. I'll ask the camper dealer this as well but what class hitch do you need for a popup?

4. So am I correct in saying that if the max towing is 2000lbs and the max payload is 1300lbs I can have a up to 1300lbs in the vehicle as well as up to 2000lbs being towed simultaneously? I would never come close to this as I realize it's a bad idea but I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

I think I'll be OK, I just want to be sure. Camper is 1300lbs unloaded and we have a few hundred pounds of gear (Probably between 300-500lbs). But that gear can be dispersed between inside the Patriot and inside the camper. Plus 2 passengers (about 300lbs total). There are some steep inclines, will that Patriot be able to handle that? How many RPMs can I expect the Patriot to be cranking at going up a fairly steep incline towing/carrying what I described above.

I realize I'm looking for a lot of info here and I appreciate everyones help. I'm not auto savy and as I said I am getting conflicting stories from the resources I used.

Thanks again!
1) - Trailer Tow Prep Group only includes the oil cooler, trailer wiring, and a full sized spare. Doesn't even include a hitch.

2) - Yes, you can get a higher class hitch but it doesn't increase towing capacity despite having higher spec's. Rule of thumb is go with the lesser of the hitch rating or vehicle's max listed tow capacity. So on a Patriot you have a max capacity of 2,000lbs and a class III hitch will spec out at 3500lbs. Go with the 2000lbs. The class III hitch will be more rugged and will also include a 2" receiver vs the 1.25" so many more options for you.

3) - it is not so much hitch class as weight capacity. You can tow a small popup with a Class II hitch running a 1.25" ball mount as long as the tongue weight and overall trailer weight doesn't exceed the hitch/vehicle max capacity. Some may require sway bars and then you would need a higher class like a III or IV. Again, get the class III even if you can't use it to the full rating on a Patriot. Just a better all around hitch.

4) - I wouldn't do it personally. Definitely not in a Patriot. Just too much weight overall. In a full sized truck I "might" load the bed to or near max payload and also run at max tow capacity but not the Patriot. IMO if doing both I would keep the payload to 50% max of capacity if towing the max and vice versa. Whatever you do, remember to take the tongue weight of the trailer off the payload. So, let's say your camper maxes out the Patriot's max tongue weight of 200lbs. That means payload drops from 1300lbs to 1100lbs.

From what you talk of( 1800lbs max )you will be ok. That is about what I tow. The Patriot can handle it but you wll know it is back there. Especially on hills. With that kind of load the engine will struggle on any serious hill. Expect at least 3500 RPM's often and even 4000-4500 RPM's at times while climbing. DON'T over do it and push the vehicle. Better to go slow(ish ). It will handle that load but it will be somewhat of a struggle in hilly terrain.

If you will tow that much weight, in hilly regions, a lot then really plan on cutting maintenance intervals shorter than the owner's manual says. Especially CVT services. Drop them back to like 30-40K. The CVT is the real weak link in the drivetrain for towing work. I would run a full synthetic oil in the engine too. Also, before heading out make sure the oil is full to the proper level, coolant is full to the proper level, tires on the vehicle( and trailer too )are inflated to the proper PSI, etc...

One last thing. With that kind of load, especially going DOWN hills, give yourself extra room between vehicles and extra time for approaching stops. The brakes on the Patriot are fine under normal conditions but when towing a big load like you will it takes longer to stop. I use the auto stick to help me slow down( and accelerate from a stop too ). Makes a difference.

Hope this helps.
Active Drive I
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

The Jeep Build and Price website offers the "Trailer Tow Prep Group" for $250 and the "i" icon will bring up a pop up that shows:
•Engine Oil Cooler •Full Size Spare Tire •Trailer Tow Wiring Harness.

The "Trailer Tow Prep Group by Mopar" is $278 and the "i" icon will bring up a pop up that only shows: •Class III Receiver Hitch

Does the "Trailer Tow Prep Group by Mopar" include everything offered in the "Trailer Tow Prep Group," but with a Class III Hitch?

Lastly, if you order either of these two options when you order a Pat Lat at the dealer (with other options) are they installed at the factory or will the factory send your Lat to the dealer with the parts for the dealer to install?

Thanks in advance.
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODubhGhaill View Post
The Jeep Build and Price website offers the "Trailer Tow Prep Group" for $250 and the "i" icon will bring up a pop up that shows:
•Engine Oil Cooler •Full Size Spare Tire •Trailer Tow Wiring Harness.

The "Trailer Tow Prep Group by Mopar" is $278 and the "i" icon will bring up a pop up that only shows: •Class III Receiver Hitch

Does the "Trailer Tow Prep Group by Mopar" include everything offered in the "Trailer Tow Prep Group," but with a Class III Hitch?

Lastly, if you order either of these two options when you order a Pat Lat at the dealer (with other options) are they installed at the factory or will the factory send your Lat to the dealer with the parts for the dealer to install?

Thanks in advance.
It's just the hitch is my assumption in the MOPAR option. I don't believe Chrysler would be offering the hitch for just $28 more. Anytime I have seen MOPAR on build and price it is an option to add MOPAR accessories. If it included the other things from the regular tow package, IMO, it would list them.

I wonder if that is a typo on it being a class III hitch however? The MOPAR hitch for the Patriot sold through MOPAR Accessories( which is what they use for these factory B&P MOPAR options )is a class II hitch with a 1.25" receiver opening( have even seen it as a class I ). No class III with a 2" offered that I can find from MOPAR.

It is possible that the hitch would be dealer installed after the vehicle arrived at the dealer but it could also be factory installed when built? Not sure how the Patriot MOPAR hitch is handled( it is something new - never could get a hitch factory before )? The regular tow package is definitely installed at the factory however.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
meckanic

I recently purchased a 2014 Patriot w/ 2.4L and 6 spd. auto. I want to tow up to 2000# but the online literature states it can, but there is a little (+) and wording of TRAILER TOW PREP GROUP optional. So swinging the deal, the dealer is going to install the MOPAR hitch and do the wiring. But there is no ENGINE OIL COOLER on the unit. I have looked at MOPAR kits for an ENGINE OIL COOLER and 2 numbers are popping up: 82210701 and 82210700. There is a slight variation as to the type of transmission/transaxle required with each kit. If I install a ENGINE OIL COOLER such as 82210701 am I going to be covered if the engine or transaxle fails due to it not being a factory installed item?

Also, if I were to install a a/m engine oil cooler kit, will JEEP stand behind the warranty. HELP!
meckanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meckanic View Post
Also, if I were to install a a/m engine oil cooler kit, will JEEP stand behind the warranty. HELP!
it depends. if your engine fails, and they can point to the cooler not being installed correctly, then they will not as its the fault of whom ever installed the cooler. In this instance, I would get a quote from the dealer on price to install. if its reasonable, its just easy to let them take the responsibility.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.