Patriot with starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot with starting issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
GWoods
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Patriot with starting issues

My niece has a 08 Patriot and has had problems with the vehicle not engaging the starter when the key is turned to the start position. This happens either when the vehicle is in a cold start or warm start situation. I has never failed to start but she has to turn the key from start to lock several times to get it to finally engage the starter. She has had it to the dealership several times but they say they can find nothing wrong with it. It has even done it when she picked it up one time and they said they didn't know what was causing it.

The dealer told her at first that the computer needed to be replaced and charged her over $400. But that did not fix the problem.

Just wondering if any other Patriot owners have had such an issue.

GWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

Need clarification. Is the starter not doing anything, or does the starter spin but fails to engage the flywheel/turn the engine?
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
GWoods
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv
Need clarification. Is the starter not doing anything, or does the starter spin but fails to engage the flywheel/turn the engine?
Sorry, no the vehicle does nothing, just like the battery is dead. But it is not, battery is hot. I does not make any noise like clicking of a solenoid or whining of the starter or grinding of the bendix just nothing.
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If it is a CVT then there is a position sensor in the shift mechanism that will not let it start if that is 'off', it can be adjusted. Does she jiggle the shifter and it works?

If it's a 5 speed then is the clutch all the way in?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
GWoods
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know it is not a manual shift. I am not sure if it is a CVT. Were all the 2008 model Patriots CVT? But that is a good thing to check. I told her to check into that the next time it acts up. Back in my day we called that a "neutral safety switch"
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's what it was called in my day too. This has more to do with the Transmission Range Selector (TRS). There is an access hole on the passenger side of the console. Pop the little round plug out and you can reach in with your finger and push on the lever to see if it will start. The cable is actually self adjusting but will need to be loosened up for the adjustment to take affect. To do that remove the console cover by removing the shift gate cover using trim sticks and the two screws under that and then the console cover will pop out. Let me know if you need more info, if that's the problem.

If it's not a manual trans it has to be a CVT.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
xxxxsrriley
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks Bob, I'm having the same problem and am going to try this to see if it works for me.
xxxxsrriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Whistlerdump

08 jeep patriot manual 5 speed won't turn over

I have a 2008 jeep patriot that won't turn over never had a problem let it sit for 1day over the holidays tried to use the car today and nothing could it be the clutch safety switch above clutch pedal
Whistlerdump is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.