Patriot sport 4x4 "locked" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot sport 4x4 "locked"

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Patriot sport 4x4 "locked"

As i understand the Riots T-handle is not connected to an electronic rear locker but in fact it tells the ESP and traction control to transfer 50/50 power to the front and rear wheels, and when it notices a wheel(s) slipping it transfers more power to the remaining wheels?

Am i somewhat correct that when it says 4wd "lock" it is not a real Locker??

armystrong68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yup, it's not a real locker in that sense. It electronically locks the electronic friction coupler to activate the front to rear split percentage for traction at lower speeds. After you engage it a different sub routine in the programming takes over to help the ESP, etc be more efficient during adverse driving conditions. By locking it you go from FWD with ESP to having the AWD with ESP.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Hmm thats what i thought. Now i can not turn my ESP off and i know about the TSB, my question is will the dealer fix it for free? I also have a TSB on my transmission, i have difficulty shifting gears and they grind when i try to put it in 1st and Reverse, is this also free to be fixed if it is a TSB problem??
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I had my transaxle replaced on power train warranty. If you are the original owner I believe you have lifetime power train warranty. A TSB is different than a Recall. Check with your dealer.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

I am the second owner but i bought it from a dealer so i have an 8 year, 80k mile warrantee that i got with the car and then i purchased another warrantee the premium bumper to bumper warrantee so it should be covered. But i thought they had to fix it is it was a TSB as well, they did for me squeaky clutch peddle and they said they would for my squeaky seat tracks and they are TSBs!
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
tanpatriot
2010 MK Patriot 

Our dealer had told us that the Patriot's computer will sense slipage and automatically shift to 4 wheel drive mode. I think he is actually right. Our driveway is currently snow/ice covered and uphill to the road. Our daughter's Wrangler was spinning when she went to leave and she had to use 4WD to get out. The Patriot just walks right up the hill without missing a beat...without locking in 4WD.
tanpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes that's right. That's the difference between 4WD and AWD. ESP helps too. What year is your daughter Wranger? Pre ESP?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/h...-works-512380/

Unread 01-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
tanpatriot
2010 MK Patriot 

Wrangler is an 06 Unlimited (stretched 2 door) with V-6 and Automatic.
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The wife's '06 Grand has ESP but the the Quadra-Drive II is really the ultimate AWD and will drive off of one wheel if necessary. Jeep has some really fine systems! I hope your daughter's Unlimited isn't lime green, my wife would be VERY jealous!

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_syste...uadra_drive_2/

Unread 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
tanpatriot
2010 MK Patriot 

No, it's yellow with black softtop. She's happy with it ... it's her third Wrangler. She wants to trade up for a Liberty with the full sliding roof, but doesn't like any of the colors Jeep offers this year. So she'll drive it for another year. Have you heard any pro's or con's about those full sliding roofs?
Unread 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If you click on "Search" at the top of the page and then click "Advanced Search" and for Key Word put in "Sky Slider". Then in the lower right in the "Search Forums" box scroll down to the "Model" area and click on "Liberty KK" section , then click "search now" and you'll find more info, some are pictures, listed for their options, etc.

Because we all like to be aware of potential problems I thought this one was note worthy. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...blems-1059063/

Some of the early Patriot had roof leaking problems too but it looks like those have been cleared up now.

Unread 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanpatriot View Post
Wrangler is an 06 Unlimited (stretched 2 door) with V-6 and Automatic.
06 Wrangler was an inline-6 and if she has the unlimited (stretched) it would be an LJ

07 was the first year of the v6
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
tanpatriot
2010 MK Patriot 

You're right. It is an inline 6. I realized it right after I sent that message. I had a feeling someone would catch me.
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Do you guys prefer a V6 or I6? Just wondering!
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
Do you guys prefer a V6 or I6? Just wondering!
I6 x 1 million

v6 is from the minivan
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wd , awd , locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.