JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Patriot in snow (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-snow-491320/)

Gav'spurplez 12-01-2007 01:30 PM

Patriot in snow

My g/f has an 07 Patriot 4wd and we are getting our first taste of winter this weekend. Nothing big, not too much accumulations, but some white stuff on the ground nonetheless............
...............so here is my question, When she has it in 4wd, is it like other 4wd systems where it should only be used when there is a significant amount of snow to drive through ??

or can she cruise at highways speeds, ( 55- 60 ) if there's slight snow on the ground.................
...........new to the new 4wd systems, i guess i'm just used to the wrangler and other 4wd's.

with the GCs i know you were able to drive in 4 hi full time in rain but 4 hi part time in the snow.

:confused: i guess i'm alittle confused :thumbdown:

Gramps 12-01-2007 01:48 PM

With the FD I and II systems it's quite alright just to leave it in AWD for whatever speed that's reasonable and prudent. You can lock in the 4WD for starting out in the deep stuff and just leave it locked if you like, but when the "on demand" system takes over it will regulate how much traction is applied to each wheel. Since this is your first winter with the new system I think that you'll be amazed how well it works and how easy it drive.

If you get stuck in some deep snow, pull the 4WD lock on, turn off the ESP, either partial or full until you get unstuck. PARTIAL is engaged by just pressing the button while in Park, FULL is engaged by holding it in for 5 seconds. This also help ful on the FWD models too.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/noobish-question-about-patriot-4wd-system-esp-system-423860/

Gav'spurplez 12-02-2007 12:10 PM

thanks for your infinite wisdom gramps,

i need to break it down into " girl " terms once i understand it myself :cheers2:

Gramps 12-02-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav'spurplez
thanks for your infinite wisdom gramps,

i need to break it down into " girl " terms once i understand it myself :cheers2:

It's NOT just the 4WD (or FWD) it's all of the ESP & traction controls that work together that do the job.

That link in the previous post is condensed from the owners manual, it was VERY wordy to me. I wanted some "cliff notes". :laugh:

I'm still trying to 'splain "Quadra-Trac II" to my wife. :rolleyes:

Gav'spurplez 12-04-2007 01:44 PM

so i got through the explanation about the " fwd is more like awd " at the times you need it............

then i was explaining the 4wd lock lever and the esp button for times when she may need to get out of heavy snow. she said, " wait, the guy at the dealer told me if i lose control to push that ( esp ) button." :confused: :nono: :brickwall

******* salesman, i told her, NO !!,
1. you should never be " out of control " with a patriot unless you are driving on pure ice.
2. explained the proper function of the esp button and what it entails when it comes down to it. she was under the assumption esp was off until turned on,
i told her no no no , its on until turned off.

i tried to compare it to the traction control ( asr ) that i have in my camaro,
she's felt it when it kicks in ( stupid me should have had it off ) and she knows when the tires are free to fly :thumbsup:

Gramps 12-04-2007 04:46 PM

The full description is on pgs 142 - 145 of the Owners Manual. There are several caveats in the book that you may want to re-read from time to time. Partial ESP can be turned on anytime according to the manual but the ESP on will react faster than you can. ESP fully OFF is meant to only be engaged when you are stopped with the engine running. Think of it as your Jeep having Extra Sensory Perception, it will know that you're spinning or sliding before you do so let it do it's job; unless your in deep snow, ice or sand, then turn it off and back on again as soon as you're under way.

We have about an inch or so of fresh snow over a good bed of ice coming home just now. No worries at all. :thumbsup:

CharBroiled 12-18-2007 06:37 AM

we just got a double whammy here in the northeast and the patriot goes great in deep snow (10", then another 4" with a topping of ice). the wife is a nurse and had to come home in the worst of the 10" storm. she made it up our 250 foot driveway like a plow with snow building up in front of it :rofl: then I took it out to have some fun but with full esp it wont let you.. you cant power slide it like with the XJ. it wont kick out on corners either, that ESP light just flashes (and sometimes the throttle reduction light comes on when I was driving it, me and my lead foot) and it turns just as nice as can be. just pull the 4WD Lock lever and point it where you want to go.

I left ESP full on because thats the way the wife will drive it but she does know how to turn it partial and full off. I figure if it goes that well in 10" with it full on shes pretty much set.

the only thing is that since its lighter than the XJ and has wider tires (we have the 17" tire package) it tends to ride up on the deep snow and ruts more than the XJ but its more stable overall.

its definitely a snow friendly vehicle.

mdls4 12-18-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharBroiled
we just got a double whammy here in the northeast and the patriot goes great in deep snow (10", then another 4" with a topping of ice). the wife is a nurse and had to come home in the worst of the 10" storm. she made it up our 250 foot driveway like a plow with snow building up in front of it :rofl: then I took it out to have some fun but with full esp it wont let you.. you cant power slide it like with the XJ. it wont kick out on corners either, that ESP light just flashes (and sometimes the throttle reduction light comes on when I was driving it, me and my lead foot) and it turns just as nice as can be. just pull the 4WD Lock lever and point it where you want to go.

I left ESP full on because thats the way the wife will drive it but she does know how to turn it partial and full off. I figure if it goes that well in 10" with it full on shes pretty much set.

the only thing is that since its lighter than the XJ and has wider tires (we have the 17" tire package) it tends to ride up on the deep snow and ruts more than the XJ but its more stable overall.

its definitely a snow friendly vehicle.

Out of curiousity, what is it like using the brakes in the snow?

CharBroiled 12-19-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdls4
Out of curiousity, what is it like using the brakes in the snow?

anti-lock city :) I tried standing on the brakes on a corner as well and it didnt try to kick the rear out (my XJ likes to go sideways while hard braking on a corner in snow), just stopped while turning. it did slid a just bit in front though but not much at all. it stops pretty well actually, and Im not a big fan of anti-lock brakes.. wish they were selectable.

RAMBOY 12-19-2007 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharBroiled
anti-lock city :) I tried standing on the brakes on a corner as well and it didnt try to kick the rear out (my XJ likes to go sideways while hard braking on a corner in snow), just stopped while turning. it did slid a just bit in front though but not much at all. it stops pretty well actually, and Im not a big fan of anti-lock brakes.. wish they were selectable.

Can you just pull the ABS fuse from the fuse box to disable the ABS?

jeepfan82 12-29-2007 09:31 PM

Handles snow without a problem

We just got about 2 feet of snow here a few weeks back and I must say I've never felt safer driving in the snow. Cars were pulling over every where because the couldn't drive straight but I just drove right past everyone. The ESP only activated one pulling sharply out of a driveway into traffic. The abs stop this without a problem as well. The rain we just got has made the snow covered driveway all ice and I stop in the same spot every time. I only got stuck once so far and that was because the snow plow put a banking up to the bumper at the end of my driveway and i sank halfway over it. I was thinking of leaving New England because of the crappy driving conditions in the winter but I may stay a little while longer now. No worrys, enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

The time now is 06:47 AM.