Patriot rear ended - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot rear ended

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Patriot rear ended

I had loaned my son's girlfriend my 2009 Patriot, and she was stopped at a traffic light when a large sedan collided with the rear at about 20mph .

Since he had her foot on the brake, the impact pushed her foot harder on the brake, and the vehicle did not move! Instead the front tires stayed on the ground and the rear end rose up and the other vehicle went under the gas tank.

Then the other vehicle was thrown back by the lifted weight of the Patriot, which then dropped back down onto the tires.

The other vehicle was totaled with major front end damage. The Patriot only had a little scratch on the plastic bumper, not mark on the gas tank skid. Insurance replaced the entire rear bumper assembly and nobody was injured.

Good to know that getting rear ended in a Patriot won't likely be an explosive experience!

wizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow! Glad noone got hurt!

Was the other driver texting ?
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

For all the rediculous laws and penalties we have today in America I would like to see punishment for that kind of negligence. I don't mean ruin the ofendeing parties life...but lose a liscence for several years and be on probation.

If she was on a motorcycle or even an older CJ she could be in the hospital or worse from the impact you described.

My Frame-Off
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwoz View Post
I had loaned my son's girlfriend my 2009 Patriot, and she was stopped at a traffic light when a large sedan collided with the rear at about 20mph .

Since he had her foot on the brake, the impact pushed her foot harder on the brake, and the vehicle did not move! Instead the front tires stayed on the ground and the rear end rose up and the other vehicle went under the gas tank.

Then the other vehicle was thrown back by the lifted weight of the Patriot, which then dropped back down onto the tires.

The other vehicle was totaled with major front end damage. The Patriot only had a little scratch on the plastic bumper, not mark on the gas tank skid. Insurance replaced the entire rear bumper assembly and nobody was injured.

Good to know that getting rear ended in a Patriot won't likely be an explosive experience!

Speaking of getting rearended, you need to see what happened to a Full-sized Chevy Pickup when he rammed into the rear of my Cummins Turbo-Diesel Dodge Ram!

Check out these pics!

http://public.fotki.com/Labrat0116/c...y-0/?view=roll
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
srq2002
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwoz

My Compass was tailed by a Ford Escape at about 20 mph. They were towed, I drove away. Needed a new bumper cover and foam, and to have a shallow dent removed from the tailgate. Being skeptical, I insisted the Jeep's hard points be checked, and, lo and behold, no body deformation at all. That's better than my Acura Legend did 20 years ago!

I like my Jeep...
srq2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.