Patriot Rear 6x9 Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Rear 6x9 Upgrade

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Patriot Rear 6x9 Upgrade

And here's phase 2 of my stereo upgrade series of threads. I'm getting the easy ones out of the way first.

Up now is replacing the factory "Boston" 6x9's from the Rear Doors, with Real Boston 6x9's. I chose the SC95 Series. So there's an opportunity to be schooled here on why I went with these. So Boston makes 4 series of aftermarket 6x9's. S, SE, SC, and SR. S and SE, the two lowest end models, will not work in the Patriot/Compass. They have a traditional magnet and motor structure that is both too deep and too wide and will interfere with the Power Window Cables. The factory "Boston" 6x9, is 2 7/8" deep. The Power Window Cable, buy my measurement is only slightly over 3" deep. The SC and SR 6x9's however, have a neodymium magnet that is both smaller, shallower and more powerful than a traditional magnet. So the SC and SR series are both only 2 5/8" deep. Perfect.

So the reason I went with the SC over the SR, is because I intend to continue using the factory amplifier (28 x 8 channels), to power the rear 6x9" and rear 3 1/2". The SC and SR share the same magnet/motor and woofer, but the SR has heatsinks over the motor for extra power handling, and larger tweeters. In talking to a Boston Dealer in town, as well as Crutchfield Tech Support, and Boston Tech Support themselves, it seemed that with only about 30 watts out of my amplifier, I would have no advantage by going with the most expensive SR speaker. It really requires more power to get the most out of them. The SC is rated at 60 watts, the SR at 75, so the SC is a better bet with the factory amp.

Tools Required: Flathead Screwdriver. T20/T25 Torx Screwdriver, Wire Crimpers.

So lets get down to business.

Easiest door speaker access evar! Flathead screwdriver slips in an existing divot below and behind the grill, and with not much of my available strength, the grill pops out straight forward. Looks like little risk at all to mess this up. Factory rivets won't break I'd say.

With the factory grille removed. "Premium" dual cone "Boston" 6x9.

2 T20 and 2 T25 Torx Star Screws, and the speaker is out, exposing the factory harness.

Top view of the old and the new.

Bottom view, showing the smaller but better magnet on the SC95.

Crutchfield supplies a wiring harness with each set of speakers they sell...as long as you specify first the car it's going in. This harness does match up with the factory harness, but the 2 existing plugs are different sizes than what's on the speaker.

Luckily, Boston supplied the appropriate size connectors in the box, as well as some Blue Butt connectors.

The Blue connectors were too big for that guage wire, in my opinion...I think it's 18 guage. I had some spare red ones, which fit perfectly, and used those. The wires can be shorter than in this picture. I found there to be too much excess after this was done and cut them even shorter.

All installed and ready to rock. The left one is upside down because I wanted to keep the speaker terminals away from any power window accessories. You can't tell unless you're looking at it.

With the grille back on.

The process would be exactly the same for the front doors, however if you have the factory Boston system like I do, there would be no point in replacing the 6x9's with other 6x9's. The factory ones are crossed over internally from the amplifier, and play bass only. The treble comes out of 2 1/2" tweeterish things in the dash. If you have the stock stereo, with full range 6x9's in the doors...then have at it!

Synopsis: These actually at first listen had less of an impact with me than the 3 1/2" did. It could be the lack of power out of the factory amp that I was warned about, but nothing really jumped out at me. It didn't initially seem like it had more bass or more treble, but the midrange did seem a lot cleaner. From vocals to snare drums. I was expecting symbols and such to be more pronounced, but from the drivers seat, it wasn't overwhelmingly obvious. It could be the location in the rear doors, or maybe the factory amp has crossovers for these speakers too, like the front ones, that limit the bass and treble for speaker protection. I'm still happy with them nonetheless. I'm a stereo snob and it really bothers me having paper dual cone speakers with foam surrounds in what is supposed to be a Premium stereo, so I aim to make it as premium as it can actually be.

Next on the agenda will be to add an equalizer, amplifier and component set of speakers to replace the front 6x9-2 1/2" arrangement. It's going to take a minute to get the appropriate funding though so sit tight.

FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
exige05
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So my fiancÚs patriot had the crappy stock non Boston unit. Looking for a cheap fix I went with kenwood KFC-6993ps 5 way speaker. Bass hits better then u would expect, highs are clear. Way better then some pioneer, alpine, and other 6x9 speakers I've installed in cars for the 100 a pair.
exige05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

^. I've had Kenwood Excelon 6x9's in a previous car. My mom had them in a Civic before too. I liked them both times.
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
nesbitt32

Great write up, thanks!!
nesbitt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exige05 View Post
So my fiancÚs patriot had the crappy stock non Boston unit. Looking for a cheap fix I went with kenwood KFC-6993ps 5 way speaker. Bass hits better then u would expect, highs are clear. Way better then some pioneer, alpine, and other 6x9 speakers I've installed in cars for the 100 a pair.
hmmm good to know!

FujativeOCR! nice write up!! thumbs up for your post coming your way!
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
brendogs

I just purchased a 2nd hand 2012 Patriot today, I've already purchased a cheap mygig off someone and I'll be picking up some speakers to add to the car without a doubt! I've got plenty of car audio amplifiers lying around so I have to see what sort of work is involved in upgrading that. I hope it's just a standard amp in the Patriot and not some computerized crap I can't touch.
brendogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendogs
I just purchased a 2nd hand 2012 Patriot today, I've already purchased a cheap mygig off someone and I'll be picking up some speakers to add to the car without a doubt! I've got plenty of car audio amplifiers lying around so I have to see what sort of work is involved in upgrading that. I hope it's just a standard amp in the Patriot and not some computerized crap I can't touch.
I think it is digital with processing done in the amp. At least with the Boston system. Im putting the rest of my system in monday. Finally got the front speakers. I'll post pics soon to follow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.