Patriot owners, are you happy with it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot owners, are you happy with it?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Patriot owners, are you happy with it?

With the gas prices doing what they are, I'm seriously considering a Patriot.
I own a Full size, lifted Dodge Hemi 4x4, heavily modded with a little over 400 HP (335 RWHP), not exactly a fuel miser. My DAILY DRIVER is an '02 Grand Cherokee Overland with the only mod being a K&N drop-in.
I've always had a Jeep of one kind or another. A '73 J10 pickup, '84 CJ7, '94 Wrangler, and this '02 GC Overland of my own. A '95 & '98 GC Laredo (both I6, 4x2's) and a '02 Laredo Sport 4x4 which were my wife's (now ex-wife) daily drivers.
I'm seriously thinking that having two V8 4x4's as my only vehicles is not the way to go. I get what I think is VERY respectable mileage out of the GC for what it is, about 17 everyday and I've hit 22 on a couple of trips, but I'd like to have something that gets closer to 30 mpg. I'm going on vacation next week and taking the GC camping in the mountains for about 10 days of trout & smallmouth fishing, about a 1200 mile round trip. This may prove to be the last such trip in the GC. I'm NOT looking forward to the gas credit card bills coming after I return.
I was thinking of a Honda CRV, but would really like to stay in the Jeep family.

I'm curious to know how you guys who purchased one feel about it. Would you buy it again/recommend one? Gas mileage? Problems? and finally, if I got it in a 4x4, do you feel it's off-road capabilities are worthy of the Jeep name? Not planning on any hard off-roading, that's what the Hemi pickup is for, but some backwoods camping, fishing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your opinions...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Urr

In Estonia all such vehicles like Jeep Compass, Honda CRV etc, which are meant for driving mostly in the city, just a litter bigger than regular (european) passenger car, with 4x4 possibility, are called in direct translation to english "city-jeeps" (jeep is here practically a synonym for off-road vehicle).

An with that background info, all I can say about the capabilities of these two, is:
Honda CRV is a "CITY-jeep", and Jeep Patriot is a "city-JEEP"

In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
deepnite10

there is a off-road package available for the Patriot..but, i don t think
it ll do the job my cherokee did..it might be something to look into..

i certainly would nt venture off road with mine..i only got the 4X4 for
the purpose of driving thru snow..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

From a Compass owner: Back roads, level 1 trails, logging roads, desert sand, camping adventures past where the mini vans and small 2wd pickups can go. Since gas prices are on your mind the FD I's get more mpg than the FD II's and the 5spd gets better than the CVT.

Issues with some of the Patriots, leaking sun roof, a hood that flaps on the drivers side rear corner at 60 mph + and I've heard of several that have had a pull to one side or the other even after alignment.

Compared to the Honda CRV - more bang for the buck with the MK's!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

we love ours, a 4x4 CVT2. roomy, good MPG, I wouldnt be afraid of mild offroad stuff, nothing like my XJ but for camping and the easier stuff, no problem. just put it in 4WD lock.

doesnt have much get up and off off the line but once it gets started it goes pretty good. for the MPG it gets, i can live with it.

also handles great, much better that I expected. we got the 17" tires, Im sure they help.
Unread 05-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
UTAH

2007 Patriot Ltd. 4x4 FDII

I've owned most all of the Jeep models since my first CJ5 in 1980. I like the Patriot for what it is, but also recognize what it is not.

My Patriot is the least well-engineered of all the Jeeps I've owned. I'd describe Jeeps as generally being over-engineered. With the Patriot, you get the impression Jeep scrimped on pretty much everything. It's like the Patriot meets the minimum (or adequate) standards.

Don't get me wrong - the Patriot is a great value. But, to meet that low price point, it's resulted in the least sturdy Jeep made. As a result, even with the off-road package, I'll take it easy on my Patriot and stick to light trail work. It's more like a car than any other Jeep I've experienced.

Gripes:
Little or no sound-proofing. My JK with 35's is quieter on the freeway.
A general lack of little things the competition offers - like additional operational switches in front/back, full switch lighting, seat electrics, saved settings, underhood lighting, etc...

Strong points:
Good MPG for class
Outstanding AWD/4x4 foul-weather capabilities (best Jeep on ice I've owned)
Great brakes
Great handling (for a Jeep)
Outstanding passenger safety for class

I'd buy the Patriot again. It fits the way I intend to use it perfectly. Just look past the marketing "tough image" hype and over-emphasis on the Jeep heritage.

Bill
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
engine5

We purchased our "08 Patriot this past march and so far it hasn't disappointed. The Patriot is the 4th Jeep vehicle we've purchased and to date it has been problem free. Will it do everything my 2000 XJ can do? No but it was purchased for my wife to go back and forth to work. She had an "04 Liberty until gas prices took off. If you're looking for a comfortable, affordable, and fuel efficient AWD vehicle, the Patriot in my opinion is the way to go.
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
victory red
2012 JK Wrangler 

08/sport/freedom drive II.
so far, no issues.
really like the vehicle.
Unread 05-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #9
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My husband and I both bought '08 Patriots. I traded in a piece of junk '05 X-terra and am so happy I did. My husband liked mine so much he got a base model Patriot as well. We both have the 5 speed manual 4x4 version.

On the highway, if I'm easy on the gas, I can easily hit 29-30mpg. Twice, my family and I went on camping trips-caravan style. If I kept it at 55, I got almost 33-totally great-just sips the gas. I can get 28 with around town and light highway driving again, if I take it easy on the gas. If I start really putting my foot into it, the milage goes down to 23, so it really depends on what your driving style is. My husband commutes 120 miles round trip per day, and he gets around 28 and he drives more around 65-70mph.

Would I buy one again-without a doubt. You can't beat the 4x4 system-it drives like a little tank in the snow. I love it. It just goes. I never minded having to set a 4wd switch/knob, but I love the fact that the vehicle just takes care of itself, and I just drive. You'd be suprised at how well the handling on the Patriot is. It corners very well, and is fun to drive.

When the seats are folded, there's an impressive amount of cargo room. I've packed a lot of stuff down there already. I tell anyone interested what a great vehicle this is. Is it for everyone-probably not. If you're looking for a 4wd vehicle that's easy on the gas, this will definately do the job. When we bought it, I thought-"Yeah, I bought this for the function/utility." But the more I drive it, the more I like it, and with these gas prices, I love it more every day!

My suggestion- If you don't mind the 5 speed, get it. It's better on milage.
Good luck!
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
jjdejesus
2008 MK Patriot 

Good jeep / car

I have the 2.0, which I bought specifically for gas mileage. I never intended and probably never will go off roading (it's not the right package anyway). This is my family get away and commute car.

MPG. On long highway trips, easily gets over 30. Probably 31 1/2. Strictly city and stop and go, it gets 24-26. With average driving that I do here in Georgia, which consists of a lot of 55 - 65 MPH long stretches, I average about 28 MPG.

Love my Patriot. However, if you want power, this ain't it. You can get to fast speeds, but it takes a little while. I don't really care about that aspect, so I am cool.

My friend has a CRV. It gets 30 MPH too. Sometimes a little more. In the end, he may get a mile or two better than me. However, my Jeep is a lot cooler. More space inside, fold down seats, Sirius sound package, and way cooler looking! Mine was under $20K with the add-ons, which puts it at the same price as the base CRV w/o the frills. So, I win!

Basically, if you are looking for a commuter, and don't want to buy a car, then this is the next best thing.
jjdejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
snowmonster
2008 MK Patriot 

Love it! I have a 2008 2.4 Patriot 4x4 with a manual transmission. Got it in December and use it primarily on the weekends to get to the mountains in winter and the beach in summer. I usually drive at 75 - 85 mph along the highways and get 25mpg (I have bad driving habits and I'm pretty sure I could squeeze out 27 mpg if I tried. Plus, I usually have skis strapped on to the top). It's been great in the snow. I once drove it through a foot of snow on a steep-ish incline and it gripped quite well while others skidded into the snow bank. I wouldn't take it on serious off-road trips but that was not why I bought the car.

I've read reviews where the CVT system was slammed as being overly loud. I don't get the same noise from the manual transmission version of the Patriot so I would get that over the CVT.

It's pretty easy on the eyes too. It looks like a rounder Cherokee so it has that ruggedness appeal to it.

Go for it!
snowmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
UTAH

Welcome to the forums, Snowmonster.

Bill
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
skyblade_001

So far I love it. I have about 1000 miles on it now. My wife and I have an agreement set up, I get it Monday, Tuesday, and every other weekend. It is a 2008 2.4L 4x4 5 speed.

Ok seriously it is a great drive. It is quiet, comfortable, confident, and capable. At highway speed the loudest noise is tire noise. I am very happy with it and am thinking about buying a second one.

To answer your question, I am 100% happy with it.
skyblade_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I leave for my camping trip tomorrow morning. This may be the last hurrah for the Grand Cherokee. I've already "adjusted" my vacation plans due to the high cost of gas. Usually I take my truck on any such trips so I can bring my ATV along in the bed. But with the distance I am going, coupled with the fact that I am primarily going to trout fish, the ATV will sit at home as I try to cut my gas prices. Shame to, because there are a few ORV trails in that neck of the woods but I can easily get 20 and possibly close to 22 mpg's out of the GC on the open road where I'll be lucky to get 13 out of that beast, especially with a 650 lb. four wheeler and gear in the bed.
The extra seven or eight mpgs would be nice from a Patriot, and it may be time to unload the GC. It's an '02 and will have about 75,000 miles on it by the time I get back and the ONLY issue I've ever had is the blend doors.
I've decided if I go the Patriot route, I'm going to try to get a stick for the added mpg's. Sticks don't bother me, I've had a couple of trucks, a 280Z, a CJ and Wrangler that were all stick shift. The main issue I'll have to deal with is comfort. I'm big, 6'3" and 270 lbs. and the GC is plush, especially with the Overland interior. I guess when I get back, I'll just have to drive a Patriot and see what I think.
Thanks for your responses...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerz71 View Post
The main issue I'll have to deal with is comfort. I'm big, 6'3" and 270 lbs. and the GC is plush, especially with the Overland interior.
I think you'll be impressed with the room in the Patriot. I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs and have no complaints about the room. My wife has a GC, so I know the comparison level. The Patriot has a more laid-out driving stance with the legs and arms more outstretched than when driving the GC.

Bill

2007 Patriot 4x4 Ltd., FDII

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.