Patriot MPG? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot MPG?

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Wolfpack97

Patriot MPG?

I have read the "estimates" and I am curious what owners are actual getting for MPG. I am considering a Patriot with the offroad package as a daily commuter for a 124 mile round trip (per day). MPG is very important for me but so is a Jeep! I have owned my TJ for over 10 years and I wouldn't part with it for anything (so to speak...) but I really am starting to grow tired of driving a car to work everyday (which is currently an 01 Volvo).

Just curious what kind of Hwy. MPG people are getting. The EPA estimates never work out very well with Jeeps (in my experience). I just miss driving a Jeep everyday. Do bad I can't drive my TJ everyday...

Thanks for the help!

03 Toyota Sequioa 4x4: Loaded with all options but basically stock. This is the family hauler.......Miss the WJ but we need more room....
Wolfpack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Wolfpack97

Just to interject what most of us have found out on the Compass with the FD I, EPA is 23/26 and most are getting at least that and even 3-4 mpg more in many cases. The FD II EPA is 21/23 and with the drive that you have it appears that you have freeway miles and less city driving? I'm guessing of course, but I would expect that you would see 23 or higher.

Not too many Patriot owners yet, but we welcome their feedback to see if all of the MK's are all doing better than EPA estimates. This could be the equivalent to our "Compass Actual Mileage" thread that's been a hot one for quite a while.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Our 1st tank was 22.5, 2nd was 20. Hand calculated, keep in mind it also only has 400 miles on it and it has been fairly cold here.
Unread 04-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
sracer

I'm consistently getting 23-24 MPG city w/my Limited 4x4 w/CVT FDI. (1000 miles on the odo so far) I haven't taken it on an all-highway drive yet.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Wolfpack97

Thanks for the help everyone!

03 Toyota Sequioa 4x4: Loaded with all options but basically stock. This is the family hauler.......Miss the WJ but we need more room....
Wolfpack97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
luffy

07 Patriot Sport FD1 and a 5 speed 31.6 MPG highway and 26.1 MPG City. I use the Patriot for work and avarage 1,000+ miles a week. I have over 2,300 miles on her so far and no problems.
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Rictus58

I have been getting about 28 mpg 90% highway driving with a CVT FDI Patriot. It has about 2500 miles on it.

My Wrangler gets 19.5 on average for Highway driving.
Rictus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I've been lurking around trying to learn enough about the compass and patriot to make a good decision about trading up in the next year. I've noticed that the Patriot FD I gets significantly better mileage than the FD II but other than the off-road crawl ratio I can't find a difference. Anyone with any ideas?

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
CaptainJim

Just got my Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack97
I have read the "estimates" and I am curious what owners are actual getting for MPG. I am considering a Patriot with the offroad package as a daily commuter for a 124 mile round trip (per day). MPG is very important for me but so is a Jeep! I have owned my TJ for over 10 years and I wouldn't part with it for anything (so to speak...) but I really am starting to grow tired of driving a car to work everyday (which is currently an 01 Volvo).

Just curious what kind of Hwy. MPG people are getting. The EPA estimates never work out very well with Jeeps (in my experience). I just miss driving a Jeep everyday. Do bad I can't drive my TJ everyday...

Thanks for the help!
I just got a Patriot Limited. I opted not to go for the offroad pkg. If I want to go offroad I'll use my TJ...

With the Patriot I've been averaging 25 with a combination of highway and city. Haven't done any long trips with mostly highway miles, but my guess is it'll be 26 or better. I just couldn't bear to pay $50 to fill 'er up and then get only 200 miles or so with that full tank. Now I get 350 miles for less than $40

Capt. Jim
CaptainJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've driven both and like both. There are VERY slight differences in the way they feel on the road, the emphasis is on SLIGHT! IMO the FD I feels more sporty and the FD II feels "bigger" like a GC probably do to the crawl ratio, slight difference in suspension and the extra .5" GC. With gas over $3 a gallon and not likely to come back down very much you'll have to decide how much off-roading you'll need to do. Still, at maybe only 3mpg difference it will be worth it to some to opt for the FD II. For general drive ability on the road, I'd compare it to the newer Dodge Dakota 2WD even tho that's a RWD. I think that the feel of the FD II is very comparable to it and my youngest daughter would trade in her '98 in a heart beat for one. Either FD package would do well as Pavement Pounder as I think we've seen by the testimonies in the Compass in the snow thread and Compass in the ice.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-snow-2006-07-a-345239/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-ice-2006-07-a-362313/

I'd like to see some of those that have driven both to offer their opinions on this too. I know that Madrabbit's gotta have something to say. and if I had an XJ I don't think that I would want to part with it either.

I do want to add that since my Compass FD I has been threw a cold winter, 20 below, that the mpg did drop down to just over 21mpg at one point but, since it's warmed up now, I'm right back to the 26-28 that I saw last Summer and Fall. Most of us are getting as good as the EPA ratings, if not better, and I would expect the same to hold true with the FD II package. I also admit to being a lead foot but that doesn't appear to effect the mpg as much as the cold temperatures did and maybe the quality of fuel that we get in the Winter time.

Unread 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
Rictus58

Quote:
Originally Posted by usswasp
I've been lurking around trying to learn enough about the compass and patriot to make a good decision about trading up in the next year. I've noticed that the Patriot FD I gets significantly better mileage than the FD II but other than the off-road crawl ratio I can't find a difference. Anyone with any ideas?
They also add skid plates, tow hooks, full size spare,oil cooler all of which add more weight to the Jeep. The difference is only 3mpg for a FDII CVT vs. FDI CVT.
Rictus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I hear all of you. At 10000 miles and 26 mpg for the FDI that's 385 gallons of fuel. Same mileage at 23 mpg for the FDII is 435 gallons of fuel. At $3.50/gal that's $175 dollars. That's one more day on vacation with the family or ... *gulp* ... with the in-laws. Anyway, I don't need the off-road extras that much. I'll just keep the Cherokee as the pull and run hard vehicle Besides, my 94 XJ gets 20 mpg on the highway which is 500 gallons of fuel over 10000 miles. That is only a $228 in savings compared to the FDII and $403 for the FDI. Considering the interest I would pay buying a Patriot at the moment I'm thinking unless they offer a really good deal I might have to just keep the XJ and KJ another couple of years.

Too bad. I really like what I see of the Patriot and I haven't even tested one yet.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station

Last edited by usswasp; 05-16-2007 at 04:04 AM..
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #13
djp_63

I have had my Patriot about month and drive 40 miles to work one way. My fuel mileage has been slowly creeping up from a flat 27 mpg to my last check at 27.9 mpg. I have about 1700 miles on the odometer and the CVT seems to be smoother by the day. I have to say I am starting to like it more as time goes on. And now when I drive our 04 Durango (Heavy "D" as we call it) ,the shift points scare me like something is wrong. We just took that beast on a family trip loaded with gear and seven people and edged just over 20 mpg.

Patriot Sport, 2 FWD CVT
djp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp_63
now when I drive our 04 Durango (Heavy "D" as we call it) ,the shift points scare me like something is wrong.
How quickly us humans adapt!

Unread 01-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My husband got 30.5 mpg on his, and I've had as high as 29.5 on mine on long trips. We both have the FD1 manual trannys
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.