Patriot Locked In Park - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Locked In Park

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
szube56
2007 MK Patriot 

Patriot Locked In Park

Yesterday morning I left the house to go to work and my Patriot was locked in park. Both my husband and myself tried numerous things and was not able to get it out. We called Chrysler Roadside to have it towed to the dealer. The tow truck driver popped the cover of the shifter and then was messing around under the dash for about 30-60 seconds and all of a sudden everything was fine. I drove it into the dealer and they could not find anything wrong. Now I am stuck not knowing if this will happen again. If it does, I am suppose to have it towed to the dealer and NOT let anyone mess with it until it gets there so they can try and figure it out. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

szube56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is the only reference that I can find. Assuming that at least one of you did have your foot on the brake, I would check for a fuse (electrical) problem first.

Brake/Transmission Interlock System
This system prevents you from moving the gear shift out of Park and into any gear unless the brake pedal is pressed. This system is active only while the ignition switch is in the ON or ACC positions. Always depress the brake pedal first, before moving the gear selector out of PARK.

NOTE: If a malfunction occurs, the transaxle will not shift out of park. Battery power is required to release the brake/transmission interlock system. There is a removable plug in the right side of the shifter housing that allows you to insert your finger to override the system. The key must be in the ignition and in the on position to use the override lever. If this occurs obtain service as soon as possible.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
szube56
2007 MK Patriot 

Thanks Gramps. Yes both my husband and myself definitely had our foot on the brake. I was pressing down as hard as I could when I was trying. I would bet the tow truck driver didn't feel lik towing it in so he pressed the bypass. It was still a little dark yesterday morning and raining so I couldn't tell exactly what he did. I know he popped the plate at the shifter and was down on the floor board, I thought he did something under the dash.

Whatever it was, the dealer couldn't find anything so hopefully it never happens again. Depending on the conditions, we can always try the override, but hopefully if it happens again, it will be in my driveway so I can have it towed and they can figure it out.

Thanks again!!!!!
szube56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

Glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem, The dealer tried to make out like I was an idiot but I was standing on the brake trying to get out of park. The trouble came clear after I had to leave it in the garage all day and take my wife's car to work. But I went ahead and took it to the dealer and they of course found nothing. I've had other instances where it won't come out of park immediately but eventually will.
tb7063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I read some more someplace else and there was mention of the interlock being out of adjustment. I'll try and post up some pics tomorrow of where it is and how to adjust it.

Unread 02-09-2008, 03:58 AM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
Did any one look to see if the brake lights worked? Possible brake light switch sticking.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Did any one look to see if the brake lights worked? Possible brake light switch sticking.
Regards,
Merlin
Didn't think of checking the brake lights. Will keep that in mind.
tb7063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Shift Interlock Cable

Shift Interlock Cable

The Shifter’s serpentine pattern does not require the shifter to have a button on the knob to release it from “Park”. There is a blocking lever within the Shifter that prevents undesired shifting out of “Park”.

The shifter has a solenoid which is actuated by depressing the brake pedal. This prevents shifting out of “Park” without the brake pedal being depressed. To operate the solenoid, the ignition must be in the “On” or “Run” position and the brake pedal must be depressed. The Brake Switch sends a signal to the Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) and the CCN, in turn, energizes the solenoid that moves the Park Lock Lever to allow the driver to shift out of 'Park”. On the right side of the Console Pod is a plug that allows access to the Park Lock Lever for manual operation.

Symptom: Key is trapped and cannot be removed from the ignition when the Shift Lever is in the “Park” position.
Possible Cause: The Interlock Cable adjustment is not set correctly (spring collapsed too far).
Corrective Action: Check the Interlock Cable Adjustment .

Possible Cause: The Interlock Cable is not secured properly at the shifter housing.
Corrective Action: Be sure the Interlock Cable is properly secured at the shifter housing.

Possible Cause: Shifter housing tab is broken .
Corrective Action: Replace shifter mechanism.

Possible Cause: Interlock Cable routing through the instrument panel area is causing increased friction within the Interlock Cable Housing (bind/kink in Interlock Cable).
Corrective Action: Check the Interlock Cable Housing routing. The Interlock Cable has a clip that locates it to the Instrument Panel structure. The Interlock Cable must be free to move through this clip. The clip is located behind the panel.

Symptom: Key can be removed no matter what position the Shift Lever is in.
Possible Cause: The Interlock Cable adjustment is not set correctly.
Corrective Action: Check the Interlock Cable adjustment .

Possible Cause: The Interlock Cable is not secured properly at the shifter housing.
Corrective Action: Be sure the Interlock Cable is properly secured to the shifter housing.

Possible Cause: Shifter housing tab broken.
Corrective Action: Replace shifter mechanism.

Possible Cause: Interlock Cable routing through the instrument panel area is causing increased friction within the Interlock Cable Housing (bind/kink in Interlock Cable).
Corrective Action: Check the Interlock Cable Housing routing. The Interlock Cable has a clip that locates the Interlock Cable to the Instrument Panel structure. The Interlock Cable must be free to move through this clip. The clip is located behind the panel.

Possible Cause: Interlock cable not secured in Ignition Cylinder.
Corrective Action: Secure Interlock cable in Ignition Cylinder.

Symptom: Shift Lever will not move to the right so that it can be moved out of the “Park” position.
Possible Cause: Brake lamp switch may be mis-adjusted.
Corrective Action: Turn the ignition to the “On” or “Run” position. Brake lamps must be on for the shifter solenoid to receive a signal. If the brake lamps switch is mis-adjusted, the solenoid will not be energized. Replace Brake Lamp Switch.

Possible Cause: No Voltage to Brake lamp switch from 10 amp fuse #3 in TIPM
Corrective Action: Repair circuit or fuse #3.

Possible Cause: Solenoid bushing to Park Lock Lever is out of position or has fallen out.
Corrective Action: If the shifter build date is before 2/1/2006 (located on the label on the rear of the shifter housing) and the solenoid bushing can be located, reinstall the bushing on the solenoid shaft and use a soldering iron, melt the end of the solenoid shaft so that the bushing will not come off of the shaft. Verify the operation of the Park Lock Lever.
If the solenoid bushing cannot be located or the shifter build date is after 2/1/2006, replace the shifter assembly.

Possible Cause: Solenoid is sluggish or hesitant. Low voltage to solenoid. The voltage with key on, engine off, should be at least 10.1 volts. There may be up to a 3 second delay before full voltage is received at the solenoid after the engine is started.
Corrective Action a: Correct the low voltage condition. If the voltage is above 10.1 volts, replace the shifter assembly.

Corrective Action b: Sticky residue around solenoid plunger

Possible Cause: Park Lock Lever on the right side of the sifter is not moving when the brake pedal is depressed.
Corrective Action: Check Park Lock Solenoid operation.

Possible Cause: Park Lock Lever is sluggish and scrapping against the inside of the Shifter Housing.
Corrective Action: Replace the shifter assembly.

Symptom: Shift Lever will move to the right but will not move down toward the “Reverse” position .
Possible Cause: Key Interlock Lever within the shifter is not releasing when the key is turned to the “On” or “Run” positions.
Corrective Action: Check Interlock Cable operation and cable adjustment.

Possible Cause: Interlock Cable is not routed properly.
Corrective Action:Check Interlock Cable routing.

Symptom: Shift Lever can be moved without turning the key on. Possible Cause: Interlock Cable Cartridge not properly installed into the Lock Housing.
Corrective Action: Remove the steering column shroud and check for correct installation of the Interlock Cable Cartridge into the Lock Housing.

Symptom: Shift Lever difficult to pull out of any gear. Possible Cause: Shift Cable not fully seated into the Transmission Bracket.
Corrective Action: Check the Shift Cable installation at the transmission. Be sure both of the Shift Cable Housing locking tabs are fully engaged into the bracket.

Possible Cause: Shift Cable to Transmission Lever nut is loose.
Corrective Action: Tighten the nut to 20 N•m (175 in. lbs.).

Adjustments:
Pry up on cable adjuster lock to release and allow cable to “self-adjust”. Lock cable adjustment by pressing down on the adjuster lock until bottomed at the cable housing.
interlock.jpg   shift-interlock.jpg  

Unread 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
silverone

Thanks for bringing this up. I have to step on the brake twice at times to get out of park.
silverone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
mbaldwin

2007 patriot

Car is stuck in park, anysuggestions? Thanks Mike
mbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
victory red
2012 JK Wrangler 

try this mike. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ht=locked+park

Last edited by victory red; 11-07-2008 at 02:58 PM..
victory red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #12
MazrimCf
2011 WK 

Holy cow this is why I love lurking here I am having the same problem with my Patriot

Symptom: Shift Lever will not move to the right so that it can be moved out of the “Park” position.Possible Cause: Brake lamp switch may be mis-adjusted.
Corrective Action: Turn the ignition to the “On” or “Run” position. Brake lamps must be on for the shifter solenoid to receive a signal. If the brake lamps switch is mis-adjusted, the solenoid will not be energized. Replace Brake Lamp Switch.

Possible Cause: No Voltage to Brake lamp switch from 10 amp fuse #3 in TIPM
Corrective Action: Repair circuit or fuse #3.

Possible Cause: Solenoid bushing to Park Lock Lever is out of position or has fallen out.
Corrective Action: If the shifter build date is before 2/1/2006 (located on the label on the rear of the shifter housing) and the solenoid bushing can be located, reinstall the bushing on the solenoid shaft and use a soldering iron, melt the end of the solenoid shaft so that the bushing will not come off of the shaft. Verify the operation of the Park Lock Lever.
If the solenoid bushing cannot be located or the shifter build date is after 2/1/2006, replace the shifter assembly.

Possible Cause: Solenoid is sluggish or hesitant. Low voltage to solenoid. The voltage with key on, engine off, should be at least 10.1 volts. There may be up to a 3 second delay before full voltage is received at the solenoid after the engine is started.
Corrective Action a: Correct the low voltage condition. If the voltage is above 10.1 volts, replace the shifter assembly.

Corrective Action b: Sticky residue around solenoid plunger

Possible Cause: Park Lock Lever on the right side of the sifter is not moving when the brake pedal is depressed.
Corrective Action: Check Park Lock Solenoid operation.

Possible Cause: Park Lock Lever is sluggish and scrapping against the inside of the Shifter Housing.
Corrective Action: Replace the shifter assembly.

The question I now have is will the dealer fix this as i only have 14k miles on my 07?
MazrimCf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's under warranty have them take a look at it, no charge.

Unread 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #14
mbaldwin

Patriot stuck in park

Tried everything everyone suggested, no luck, any other suggestions?
Thanks Mike
mbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.