Patriot Limited FD II test DRIVE. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Limited FD II test DRIVE.

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Patriot Limited FD II test DRIVE.

This was an actual driving test. I have no place close by for real off-roading and I wanted to test it the same way that I’ve been driving my Compass FD I. Besides that, I am considerate of the fact that this will be somebodies new baby and I won’t be the one who puts stress on it without it being broken in first.

Here are my favorite off-road tests borrowed from previous threads:

http://www.expeditionwest.com/equipm...riot/index.htm

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsume...x.cfm?id=24751

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/j...rive/page4.asp

On Thursday I made a Saturday morning appointment to test drive and hopefully get some “on-the-rack” pics of the undercarriage. By 10:30 when the wife and I arrived, it had just sold to a couple who came in a ½ hour before we got there. The dealer and sales crew understood what my intentions were and the new owners let me do my thing.

It drives VERY nice, not much unlike the Compass with FD I but the whole feel is a little more truck like, but not a big truck at all. The steering was more to my wife’s liking, it was more like her GC when compared to the Compass. The Compass FD I has more of a “sporty” quickness feel about it and the Patriot FD II has a precise, firm durable feel about it. This probably is because of the longer actuating arms, slightly stiffer shocks and difference in programming for articulation. Not harsh though, very comfortable ride. The whole driving experience has a very pleasant ruggedness to it. Sitting in either the front or rear seats is identical to the Compass, same head room, hip room, shoulder room, feet and knee room. Very roomy, I felt right at home.

The 19:1 low range for the CVT2L is the only low range. I had thought that maybe in “D” it would use the standard 14:1 low like the CVT2 but it doesn’t; that I presume is why the difference in gas mileage between the two, 21-23mpg for the FD II and 23-26 for the FD I. Still for a fully Trail Rated Jeep it’s very good! For the first 20 feet off of the line it feels like a granny low and it was great. Then the different spacing for the electronic gear ratios on the CVT2L brought you up to cruising speed comfortably and smoothly. Also when you drop it down in to “L”, either in AWD or 4WD, it stays in low, it’s not just a lock for the off-road programming it’s an actually 1st gear only. Pulling up the 4WD T-handle while in “L” engages the Off-Road mode, increases engine speed and turns off the ESP.

Visibility is some what better than the Compass’ out the rear and sides due to the more rectangular windows. The headrests on the rear seats still obstruct the view from the rear view mirror. I did bring this up with the sales rep and if he doesn’t pass it on to the powers that be, maybe JeepInfoCenter will read our comments and pass them along. The sales rep brought up the design of the head rests for the rear seats in the Mini-Vans that slide up and down and extend over the top front of the rear seats. These would be far better, take a look at them the next time you’re at a dealers.

In a word – SWEET! Classic Jeep style! If the FD II package will afford you the extra capabilities that you need then this could serve you well as multi-purpose DD and Weekend Warrior. The slight sacrifice in mpg is minor compared to the Trail Rated abilities that it’s capable of doing.

A special thanks to the Sales Staff and Parts Department at Frank Boucher CDJ in Janesville, WI and to the new owners of one nice Patriot Limited with the Trail Rated FD II package.

For how this Patriot was equipped, go here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...57#post3579757

epost.jpg   epost-1-.jpg   epost-2-.jpg   epost-3-.jpg   epost-4-.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Front and Rear Tow Hooks, Front and Fuel Tank Skid Pans, Reinforced lateral supports.
epost-5-.jpg   epost-6-.jpg   epost-7-.jpg   epost-8-.jpg   epost-9-.jpg  

Unread 04-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Interior: Shifter, view threw the rear view mirror, from over the drivers seat to the rear and out the left side. I've added a little better detail for the Lateral Supports.
epost-10-.jpg   epost-11-.jpg   epost-12-.jpg   epost-13-.jpg   alupost-9-.jpg  

Unread 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
phil8400

Wow Gramps! Thanks for this excellent review. The pictures are worth a thousand words. That green color is really nice.
Can you go back though and take even closer pics of the undercarriage please?
So the new owners actually let you drive it? I'm still waiting for mine and the ship date is today. No one is driving it before me

Last edited by phil8400; 04-16-2007 at 01:27 PM..
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Can you go back though and take even closer pics of the undercarriage please?
I do have more pics of the undercarriage, I tried to post the ones that I thought would be of interest. Looking for anything in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
So the new owners actually let you drive it?
Hey, it's the Mid-West most people are friendly

Unread 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

while u were taking pics of the undercarriage did u notice if the bolt patern for the skid plates would work on the compass?
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Even tho I've looked at mine on the rack during an oil change I've never taken pictures. 15K oil change is in about 3 weeks, I'll make sure that I get some. I'm about 99% sure that everything will match up except for the front of the engine skid plate. In any case, some brackets would easily mount everything and these may already have brackets attached that don't show up in the pics. This should be a bolt on for any of the MK's, maybe a slight mod on the front for the Compass.

Unread 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Richie5120

heh, nice write up and pics! I too am in WI. Milwaukee I was actually going to purchase that one. I decided to get the tow package.
Richie5120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hi! Were you there with the wife and 2 kids? That one had the trailer tow package but the receiver is separate, dealer installed. Nice looking rig! You can't go wrong!

Unread 04-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Richie5120

negative. must be another one that got in. I was looking at it a month ago but had no tow prep. I just ordered mine on Friday. Limited, 28F, FDII, Off-Rd Crawl Ratio, Jeep Green, Pastel Slate Gray Leather, Trailer Tow Prep, Sirius Radio, P215/65R17 OWL, Drivers Convenience Grp, Engine Block Heater and floor mats. I can't wait to get it! I already called DC and they accepted order and is ready to be built. I love your pictures! Are you getting one?
Richie5120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Richie,

Thanks for the complement on the pics!

The dealer that I went to can hardly keep any Patriots, Compass’ or Unlimiteds in stock, usually less than a week. I FINALLY saw another Compass on my back road trip to work just yesterday.

I’m not trying to turn this into a Compass thread, so I’ll be brief . I’m one of those that love my Compass, FD I, CVT, leather and all of the bells and whistles and the way they look, unique, and the "sporty" feel. I have visions of creating my own “Rallye/Express” version with it. Mine is primarily for commuting from a typical bedroom community into work, shopping and long excursions with the wife treasure hunting, good weather or bad, so the little bit better mileage is a factor. I do plan on adding the off road package pieces starting with the skid plates (to run threw deep snow and some camping/fishing trips) and ending with the tow hooks, once I figure out where I want to cut threw the bumper to add them on. I won’t be adding the FD II transmission programming because I don’t see a need for it under my circumstances and I like my AutoStick too, even though I can’t tell you a good reason to have it, I just like having it. I also want to lift it, maybe 2”, when a decent kit becomes available. I will be adding on the K&N cold air system to pick up some HP and whatever else becomes available that is cost affective. I really am just an old Hot Rodder who's done enough off-roading to enjoy that too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.