Patriot gas tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot gas tank

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Tmonatr
2012 MK Patriot 

Patriot gas tank

I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot, and according to the capacities, the gas tank holds 13.6 gallons. However, I have never even come close to getting that much in it. Usually just 10.5, or 11. I do not know if the guage is reading empty prematurely, of if I am just unable to completely fill it. I suppose I could just run it dry to find out..... But I have heard that is bad for fuel injection motors.

Tim

Tmonatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
moored194
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When your fuel light comes on you generally have about 4-5 gallons left in the tank as a reserve to get you to the next gas station. It's the same as any car.
moored194 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
warlockjunkie

Yeah I ran mine almost completely dry once on a long trip. The low fuel indicator generally comes on once you have about 2 to 3 gallons left in the tank. I ran for 70 miles after it came on and I put something like 13.1 gallons in it to fill it.
warlockjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Sarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonatr View Post
I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot, and according to the capacities, the gas tank holds 13.6 gallons. However, I have never even come close to getting that much in it. Usually just 10.5, or 11. I do not know if the guage is reading empty prematurely, of if I am just unable to completely fill it. I suppose I could just run it dry to find out..... But I have heard that is bad for fuel injection motors.

Tim
Are you sure you are running down to empty? I know on my Pat the 1/4 mark looks like its the empty mark. I drove until the fuel light came on the other day and it took about 11.5 gallons.

I usually don't let it go that low, though, as I've had mechanics tell me low fuel puts a greater strain on the fuel pump over time. And on most newer cars replacing the fuel pump is quite the chore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

I don't know much about the new body style Compass or Partiot, but I have a 2007 Compass. According the the specifications there are two different size gas tanks. The 4x4 versions have a slighty smaller tank than the FWD versions. The gas tank is modified and cut in to allow clearance and room for the rear diffential for the 4x4 version. At most on a low fuel light I get about 11.5 gal.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moored194 View Post
When your fuel light comes on you generally have about 4-5 gallons left in the tank as a reserve to get you to the next gas station. It's the same as any car.
that's not even close to being right, otherwise you would be able to go 130 highway miles with the gas light on before you run out of gas. give that a shot and report back.

you'll have 1-3 gallons left when the light comes on, best case scenario. if you fill up 13 gallons, you are a living-on-the-edge kinda guy
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My light comes on with 30-35 miles to spare. So that's like 2 gallons left
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I usually can fit right around 11 gallons when gas light is on so mines about 2 gal left at time of gas light.
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
warlockjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
My light comes on with 30-35 miles to spare. So that's like 2 gallons left
You're only getting around 15-18 mpg??
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlockjunkie

You're only getting around 15-18 mpg??
Yep.
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
warlockjunkie

Dang that's low for a Pat.
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Lehman26
2012 MK Compass 

I got compass fd2 not much better I'm at like 19.5 to 22 mpg usually..but I do almost all stop n go driving short trips
Lehman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
warlockjunkie

I have the fd1 in my 2012 Pat with the cvt, doing a pretty even highway to city ratio and I'm around 24-26.

My recent trip to Pittsburgh was about a 370 mile round trip for me and I only burned 14 gallons. That was including about 30 minutes in bumper to bumper construction traffic for five miles and 90 miles was on a Pa state route varying 45-65 mph with hills.

Maybe I'm just breaking it in as it only has under 15k miles on it.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

With the AC on lately i've been getting 14
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #15
Tmonatr
2012 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the replies. I have a FWD Limited, and generally get anywhere from 23-25 mpg, but have gotten close to 29 mpg with nothing but hwy miles. I usually get around 275-280 miles per tank. The gas light comes on, and the trip computer will say about 70 miles left.....but about 20 miles later, it will say 30 miles left, then just say LOW FUEL. But even, then, i am still just putting in a little over 11 gallons when i fill up. I am not wanting to live on the edge, but would like to know for sure.
Tmonatr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.