Patriot Freedom Drive II-with offroad pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot Freedom Drive II-with offroad pics

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
monstermerkur

Patriot Freedom Drive II-with offroad pics

Hi everyone,
My name is Jeff. My girlfriend and I just purchased a light khaki FDII Sport on August 1. I was fortunate enough to go on a trip the next weekend to Lake Sam Rayburn in the Piney Woods of East Texas. My buddy has a couple of cabins there, and just to get there is a 8 mile dirt road trip. I was very pleased with the patriot's performance. I left it in 4 wheel drive for ~70 miles and it drove beautifully. The off-road suspension handled the ruts and holes pretty smoothly, it didn't beat the crap out of me like some vehicles on the dirt road. After I dropped Bridget(the girlfriend) off at the cabin, I headed out to find a place to test 4low . The pictures were taken driving up a mostly sandy wash. It had not rained recently, so it wasn't a mud pit like normal. Unfortunately I didn't have a digital camera, and the pictures from my 35mm didn't scan as well as I hoped. If anyone has specific questions about the FDII and its performance, I will be checking back here. Gramps is going to post the photos for me, so please be patient.
Jeff

monstermerkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Posted for Jeff.
e1.jpg   e2.jpg   e3.jpg   e4.jpg   e5.jpg  

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Nice rig, nice ride!
e6.jpg   e7.jpg   e8.jpg   e9.jpg   e10.jpg  

Unread 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
satanshollow

Looks pretty good!

I've never owned a 4wd/awd vehicle before. Does it feel pretty capable off road? Sounds like it.

If I got one it would be for the occasional off roading, but nothing too difficult. How does the CVT feel? I've driven a CVT Audi A4 before, it was kinda weird but I guess you get used to it quickly.

Hows the room in the back seat? I would be putting a child seat back there.
satanshollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
monstermerkur

Satanshollow,
During the mild offroading I did, the patriot had no trouble. This is the first time I have driven a CVT vehicle and it is strange to say the least. I'm still not used to it.
The back seat is pretty spacious, I'm 5'11 and 180 pounds and I am very comfortable in the back. I got this truck over a ranger because my girlfriend brought up the whole baby seat thing.
monstermerkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Check out the flex! Wait.... See what I did there? I likey, good job, I gotta quit hanging around here or my Caliber is gonna have a short life. Maybe some air suspension (like MB's Airmatic on their SUVs, lower it and raise it as needed!) and an AWD/FD1 unit and I'm set? Thoughts?
Unread 08-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
Check out the flex! Wait.... See what I did there? I likey, good job, I gotta quit hanging around here or my Caliber is gonna have a short life. Maybe some air suspension (like MB's Airmatic on their SUVs, lower it and raise it as needed!) and an AWD/FD1 unit and I'm set? Thoughts?
Since you're a friend, I'll be honest (uh oh). No matter how much you love your Cali, it certainly has it's place, it still won't be a trail rated Jeep. Is that what you really want? By the time that you modify the "H" out of it and dump $ and time into her you could bite the bullet and go get yourself a Patriot FD II with a lifetime power train warranty. Just food for thought.

Here's some "enhanced" pics of Jeff's FD II.
ec1.jpg   ec2.jpg   ec4.jpg   ec5.jpg   ec9.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Unread 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

True, but what do you love more, a money pit that you've put blood sweat and tears in, or something you went out and bought that way? And I do respect your opinion greatly. But, in common sense terms, you are indeed 100% correct, luckily, I'm as illogical and probably wasteful as they come! Great pics, I do like how you are willing to help others out and post 'em!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.