JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Patriot Freedom Drive II-with offroad pics (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-freedom-drive-ii-offroad-pics-449757/)

monstermerkur 08-14-2007 08:44 AM

Patriot Freedom Drive II-with offroad pics

Hi everyone,
My name is Jeff. My girlfriend and I just purchased a light khaki FDII Sport on August 1. I was fortunate enough to go on a trip the next weekend to Lake Sam Rayburn in the Piney Woods of East Texas. My buddy has a couple of cabins there, and just to get there is a 8 mile dirt road trip. I was very pleased with the patriot's performance. I left it in 4 wheel drive for ~70 miles and it drove beautifully. The off-road suspension handled the ruts and holes pretty smoothly, it didn't beat the crap out of me like some vehicles on the dirt road. After I dropped Bridget(the girlfriend) off at the cabin, I headed out to find a place to test 4low:2thumbsup: . The pictures were taken driving up a mostly sandy wash. It had not rained recently, so it wasn't a mud pit like normal. Unfortunately I didn't have a digital camera, and the pictures from my 35mm didn't scan as well as I hoped. If anyone has specific questions about the FDII and its performance, I will be checking back here. Gramps is going to post the photos for me, so please be patient.
Jeff

Gramps 08-14-2007 09:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Posted for Jeff.

Gramps 08-14-2007 09:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Nice rig, nice ride!:thumbsup:

satanshollow 08-14-2007 12:55 PM

Looks pretty good!

I've never owned a 4wd/awd vehicle before. Does it feel pretty capable off road? Sounds like it.

If I got one it would be for the occasional off roading, but nothing too difficult. How does the CVT feel? I've driven a CVT Audi A4 before, it was kinda weird but I guess you get used to it quickly.

Hows the room in the back seat? I would be putting a child seat back there.

monstermerkur 08-14-2007 01:26 PM

Satanshollow,
During the mild offroading I did, the patriot had no trouble. This is the first time I have driven a CVT vehicle and it is strange to say the least. I'm still not used to it.
The back seat is pretty spacious, I'm 5'11 and 180 pounds and I am very comfortable in the back. I got this truck over a ranger because my girlfriend brought up the whole baby seat thing.

CoriolisSTORM 08-14-2007 06:32 PM

Check out the flex! Wait.... See what I did there? :D I likey, good job, I gotta quit hanging around here or my Caliber is gonna have a short life. Maybe some air suspension (like MB's Airmatic on their SUVs, lower it and raise it as needed!) and an AWD/FD1 unit and I'm set? Thoughts?

Gramps 08-14-2007 07:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
Check out the flex! Wait.... See what I did there? :D I likey, good job, I gotta quit hanging around here or my Caliber is gonna have a short life. Maybe some air suspension (like MB's Airmatic on their SUVs, lower it and raise it as needed!) and an AWD/FD1 unit and I'm set? Thoughts?

Since you're a friend, I'll be honest (uh oh). No matter how much you love your Cali, it certainly has it's place, it still won't be a trail rated Jeep. Is that what you really want? By the time that you modify the "H" out of it and dump $ and time into her you could bite the bullet and go get yourself a Patriot FD II with a lifetime power train warranty. Just food for thought.

Here's some "enhanced" pics of Jeff's FD II.

CoriolisSTORM 08-14-2007 07:56 PM

True, but what do you love more, a money pit that you've put blood sweat and tears in, or something you went out and bought that way? :D And I do respect your opinion greatly. But, in common sense terms, you are indeed 100% correct, luckily, I'm as illogical and probably wasteful as they come! Great pics, I do like how you are willing to help others out and post 'em!

The time now is 08:52 PM.