Patriot engine noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot engine noise

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
danbo

Patriot engine noise

Just curious, do you Patriot owners get used to the engine sound, especially at highway speeds? When I test drove one, I guess the noise was so different than my GC that I couldn't get past it. I don't think it was very loud, just different. Just curious if you turn the radio on if it is that bad for you.

Thanks.

danbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

I'm finding the noise level in my Patriot a LOT more pleasant than what I had in my Grand Cherokee. The only time the engine really winds up is when I'm riding hard on it, and that isn't the norm. Since you probably bought the Patriot partly for mileage, you won't want to be winding it up too tightly either.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
sracer

I've heard the complaint about the Patriot's engine noise and the only thing that I can think is that the person is either driving a 5spd or FDII. My Limited CVT FDI simply purrs at highway speeds. Doing 75-80mph the engine revs about 2500 rpms. It's not even breaking a sweat!

I've just got a copy of a Jeep Service Bulletin regarding a tweak to the CVT programming to get better performance from a standing start and better gas mileage. I'm going to try to have the techs perform the change when I bring mine in for service tomorrow.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer
I've heard the complaint about the Patriot's engine noise and the only thing that I can think is that the person is either driving a 5spd or FDII. My Limited CVT FDI simply purrs at highway speeds. Doing 75-80mph the engine revs about 2500 rpms. It's not even breaking a sweat!

I've just got a copy of a Jeep Service Bulletin regarding a tweak to the CVT programming to get better performance from a standing start and better gas mileage. I'm going to try to have the techs perform the change when I bring mine in for service tomorrow.
Same here, with my Limited. Smooth and quiet most of the time.

Any chance of getting a link or something posted? I haven't heard about the bulletin, and it sounds like something I could use.
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-performance-421942/ post #5 and on.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
echocat22
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer

where do you get the jeep service bulletins from, somewhere on the web?
echocat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

I just got off the phone with the dealership. They're telling me that I can't get the update unless I gt the actual bulletin in the mail. Have any of you guys gotten this service yet, and did you get the bulletin in the mail, or did your dealer do the update anyway?
Unread 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
danbo

Thanks, good to hear. I only took the Patriot for a test drive, and I really didn't notice that much noise though I was unable to get it up to highway speeds because of the area around the dealership. A local paper had done a review on the Patriot and gave it really bad marks for the engine noise, which again I didn't remember. Guess I will give the Patriot a try when my GC lease is up in a few months.
danbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I was listening to mine when I first cranked it up this morning and was letting it idle, and it kinda sounded like my friend's TDI... A tad bit odd. It sounds much better when revved than my Jeep 2.5L though! **** starts to hit the fan in it from the sounds of it at about 4k. I'm waitin' on a piston or somesuch to fly through the hood whenever I wind it up good again...
Unread 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxjockey
I just got off the phone with the dealership. They're telling me that I can't get the update unless I get the actual bulletin in the mail. Have any of you guys gotten this service yet, and did you get the bulletin in the mail, or did your dealer do the update anyway?
The way that the TSB reads, all that you need to do is COMPLAIN to the dealer or to DC if necessary.

Quote:
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers may experience the following:
•Automatic CVT models - Perceived lack of performance under light to moderate
acceleration from a stop.
•All Models - Ticking Sound intermittently heard from the engine compartment.
Software changes have been made to improve the above bullet points. In addition, changes to maximum RPM in neutral have been made to assist A/C compressor function during cold ambient temperatures to prevent A/C compressor slugging.
NUMBER: 18-031-07
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: April 28, 2007
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available inTechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's other than those listed above are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the above symptoms are described by the customer, perform the Repair Procedure.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The way that the TSB reads, all that you need to do is COMPLAIN to the dealer or to DC if necessary.
Yup, that's the plan for tomorrow!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.