patriot/compass problems? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > patriot/compass problems?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #16
MeganHewitt
2012 MK Compass 

I made it just fine on my trip. However, every now and then it takes me a while to get it started. I have to hold the key down for several seconds, probably about 20to or so before it attempts to start. It doesn't do that all the time though.

MeganHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Photolithic

I have a 2011 patriot 4x4 FD1. 10,000k miles...the only problem I have had with it...it's not a Wrangler. I think you will like it!
Photolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

yea, I think many of us who have owned Compass/Patriots have had front end issues. I had ball joints and tie rods replaced, with a tire replacement at about 40G miles (previous Car, Mazda Protege, went 150,000 miles before I replaced anything ball joints and tie rods). If that is as bad as it gets, I won't complain too much...just alittle!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
aberg12012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganHewitt View Post
I made it just fine on my trip. However, every now and then it takes me a while to get it started. I have to hold the key down for several seconds, probably about 20to or so before it attempts to start. It doesn't do that all the time though.
That seems a little excessive if it's really 20 seconds, but it is normal for any modern fuel injected car to need a few seconds between turning the ignition to "on" and actually cranking the motor.

I have an automatic habit of always waiting about 3 or 4 seconds after I turn on the ignition before actually cranking the motor. It gives the fuel pump and electronics a chance to go through their power-on routine. I think 99% of people just turn the key and crank it at the same time and as such I usually pass off "it takes forever to start" issues with this. But I'm far from an expert, and I could surely be very mistaken.

Quote:
(previous Car, Mazda Protege, went 150,000 miles before I replaced anything ball joints and tie rods)
Yea, I hear that. I've driven a few smaller cars to their death and never really had to worry about ball joints before. My theory is that it's just a matter of having a heavier (at least I assume?) vehicle with more unsprung weight at the end of the suspension to handle. I think it just beats up the strut style suspension which only has one control arm. So that one control arm (and everything attached to it) tends to wear out very quickly. And once a ball joint loosens up, it doesn't take long for the tie rod to also wear out as it's all connected, obviously.

So the more I think about it, the less I guess I'm too worried about it. Especially since now I know how to change them again if need be. She (my wife) really likes the Compass, and after spending the weekend working on it I'm start to fall more in love with it too. I was pretty dead set on trading it in after I fixed the front end. But then I fixed it, fixed the alignment, and realized how nice a car it really is when it's all fixed up.

Last edited by aberg12012; 01-27-2012 at 02:42 AM..
aberg12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I always just turn the key and it starts right up in 5 seconds or less. The very few times it hasn't, less than half a dozen, I turned the key off and waited a couple more second. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I'm on my third battery too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

One small thing that is absolutely wonderful about the Compass (and I assume the Patriot as well)...I have never had a vehicle that was this easy to change the oil and filter! Even a complete novice like me, with almost no hand strength, can easily change the oil on this car.
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
aberg12012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
One small thing that is absolutely wonderful about the Compass (and I assume the Patriot as well)...I have never had a vehicle that was this easy to change the oil and filter! Even a complete novice like me, with almost no hand strength, can easily change the oil on this car.

You got that right! Although my Subaru is just as easy after you get the belly pan off. Although for the price, I'm still inclined to let my wife take it to Master Lube. Then I don't have to wash it, either.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Our '10 2WD Riot just turned 36k yesterday. Only issue I had to date was the CVT "braking" after you let off the gas. A reprogram (under warranty) fixed it. It's the most used Jeep (I have a TJ, WJ, and KJ) on my driveway. No TRE or CA issues.
Unread 01-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #24
aberg12012

What's the problem with having a little engine braking? Ours does that, and I always thought of it more as a feature than a problem(?) I hate normal automatics and how they coast forever and require riding the brakes when going down hill.
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Your trans can learn your driving habits and not down shift so harshly if you just let off the gas easily. Mine did.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Engine breaking is annoying. Yet another gripe with this whole CVT clusterfluff they put in here. I can't wait to get something with an automatic...in 5 years when the Patriot is paid for :-(
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Busmaster2

I guess it's an acquired taste, but i'm amazed at how powerfully this car can accelerate when necessary. Beleive me, my compass can throw you back against the seats with the best of them..but without the slamming of a regular downshifter. I would liken it to the recoil of a black powder gun vs a modern gun...more of a push as opposed to the whack of a modern gun.
Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Engine breaking is annoying. Yet another gripe with this whole CVT clusterfluff they put in here. I can't wait to get something with an automatic...in 5 years when the Patriot is paid for :-(
I agree the engine braking is annoying. Couple that with applying the brake, the car almost always feels like you're slamming your brakes. Plus, you never know if the engine braking will cause excessive wear and tear to the tranny.
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
Rubes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2 View Post
I guess it's an acquired taste, but i'm amazed at how powerfully this car can accelerate when necessary. Beleive me, my compass can throw you back against the seats with the best of them..but without the slamming of a regular downshifter. I would liken it to the recoil of a black powder gun vs a modern gun...more of a push as opposed to the whack of a modern gun.
When we first test drove it, the salesman described the acceleration as a slingshot being released. Yep, it's got some hamsters on steroids under the hood.
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #30
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Yup. Every car I've ever had had a smoother drivetrain than this thing. 89 Cavalier Z24, 99 Grand Am, 01 Volvo V70 XC. That doesn't look good for Jeep in my eyes. I mean come on it's 10 years newer!
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.